did you read lotr first, second?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Lego, Jan 21, 2004.

?

what did you do first?

1. read the books first then saw the movies

30 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. saw movies then read books

12 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. just read the books

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. just saw the movies

6 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. neither of these.

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I saw the 1st two movies, then read the books, including the Hobbit, the Sil, UT, and some of the HoME.

2. pinkflyingwalruses

pinkflyingwalruses Beatnik

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    read the books, then I saw the movie.

3. Loki the Demon

Loki the Demon "Belgium, Man!"

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Read THe Hobbit when i was 13 (i think) and LOTR when i was 14. Re read them when the FOTR came out. When I only heard the Rumour that they were going to make a movie of LOTR back in '99 or whenever, I was really excited. I couldn't wait. I thought they will have to be really careful with this, they'll either totally screw it up, or make on of the best epic movies ever. It ended up being the latter. I couldn't believe how amazing it was!

4. jake1964

jake1964 Old enough to be your dad

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -1
    Read the Hobbit at 13 or 14. Read LOTR shortly after. Have re-read both 2 or 3 times. Can't remember exactly, it's been a while. Loved the movies.

5. Timmybaby17

Timmybaby17 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I read the hobbit in like 4th grade, but that was it until the LOTR movies came out. I didn't even really want to see the FOTR all that much, because I thought the preview looked kin of dumb, but after I finally saw the movie, it was incredible. After that I read all the books.

6. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I was in the process of reading through fotr when I was 11, than the movie came out and I finished the books. I've read the series 3 times now!

7. Blackthorpe

Blackthorpe New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I read them before I knew there would be movies.

8. mz-readaholic

mz-readaholic Use The Force

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    i saw the movies when i was in grade 7 and i loved them so much that i read the books. and the books were ok, i dont really have a preference about which is better. but i love the book the hobbit. it is so awesome. and ive read the silmarillion too, and the books again. (the hobbit 4 times! coz its so good.)

9. Aphelion

Aphelion The Mighty One

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    At first, I read LOTR.. My brother bought the books in russian long time ago, I guess I had nothing to read at that time.. it was about 7 years ago.. thereafter, the first movie came out and I was eager to see it. It made me buy the books again, in english this time and all-in-one edition. After I read it, I realized that there are more books by Tolkien which are connected to middle-earth, hence I bought The Hobbit, The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales.. and my folks gave me Children of Hurin as a present for the new year.. it was about 5 or maybe 4 years ago..

10. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I read FOTR before the movie came out, but I hadn't read the others... I read all parts before the movies came out. I hadn't read Return of the King when The Two Towers came out, but afterwards I did...

11. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Just saw the movies, that's enough torture I can take :D

12. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    I saw the movies and read the books afterwards - and I still love to read/watch LotR! :p

13. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I read the hobbit and about died of boredom. Needless to say while I liked the movies (the third one and parts of the other two at least) I couldn't read the actual books

14. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    A friend of mine had given me "The Hobbit" in english around 1996-1997 and I read it at Christmas that year.At first I got annoyed a bit with the dwarves all appearing like that and disturbing Bilbo,but then I loved it.I had a really good time reading "The Hobbit" and since my friend had told me more about Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings,I bought "The Lord of the Rings" in 3 books in Greek.It was about the time when another friend of mine had these books(or some of them)given to him as presents and he was telling us about it and I got more excited as well.

After LOTR I also bought "The Silmarillion" in Greek and then the Unfinished Tales.When I found out the movies were being made and I saw the very first trailers I went nuts.I was telling everyone about the movies.

The funniest things happened when the Fellowship of the Ring was about to come out.I had like....5-6 different groups of friends of mine that I had to decide with which group I would go to the premier.I had written down names on a piece of paper and had so many options to go,everyone asked if if I was gonna go with them at the premier,so many different people.In the end I decided to go with my too best friends and the gf of one of them.

And you know what happened?Something that can drive a man crazy.All these years,all these months,all these weeks at the end and all these days of waiting for this day to come to go to the premier of the Fellowship of the Ring.All these hours of talking about it with friends,all these COUNTLESS times of watching the trailers again and again and again and again...and we finally got there,with tickets to a multi-cinema at the premier!

And they tell us at the counter that due to snow the film was still far away from the cinema and that all screenings were canceled for that day.That was such a shock and disappointment.You can't believe what a disappointment it was.We watched the movie the next day in another cinema and had a very good time afterwards eating spaghetti in a
    fast-food laughing so hard I thought the spaghetti was coming out of my noise.Ah those were the days...

15. Lady Galeth

Lady Galeth Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    saw(and loved) the movies long before i read the books properly.except the Hobbit,i read that in year 6 at school.

16. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    First i read the hobbits without knowing that it was the pre-story of LOTR:
    Then I saw FOTR and then I read the books within 3 weeks and then I was waiting 2 other years for all to be over. Those were the days of my
    LOTR-Fever!!!!!!

17. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    saw movies then read books

i'm sad to say.

though i did read the hobbit prior.

18. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Read the books first - though it was a long time before the films came out - so after seeing them I went away and re=read them.
    good books good films

and IR - give the LOTR another try, go on

19. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My answer isn't between the options. I saw the first movie, then read all the books (including Silmarillion, Hobbit, Appendices etc) then saw the other two movies.

20. Luther_the_Great

Luther_the_Great The Amazing

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Death to so called LOTR fans who have only seen the movies. Well... not death... but they should be ruffled up some...