Did Theon make the right choice?

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by SebastianBlack, Apr 23, 2012.

1. SebastianBlack

SebastianBlack New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    when he went back to the iron islands to try and help the Starks, If you had been in Theon's situation,. which side would u have chosen? Just wondering what you guys thought. Did Theon make the right choice?

2. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +793 / 5 / -0
    I think this is an incredibly difficult question to answer, although it is obvious - or easy to define - which choices Theon had: He could either stand on the side of the family who raised and accepted him, and return to Robb with empty hands and cast out by his father, or do what he did, betray the Starks and struggle to receive acknowledgement by his father. Before I go on I have to say I'm still reading A Clash Of Kings and therefore all I know is what has been shown in the TV series, but as you posted this question shortly after this issue occurred in the TV series, I assume my knowledge will do for the discussion of this matter.
    I think Theon had to make a tough choice, and although I (as the usual reader/fan who sympathises with the Starks) could so easily say I would have stuck with Robb I have to say I don't know what I would have done. To some degree I understand why Theon chose to fight for his father. Although he barely knows his son and treats him rather badly he is after all still his father and I think it's only natural to wish to be accepted by one's own family, even if it means to betray friends.

3. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I think that Theon should have taken Winterfell, but could still have gone against his father. He should not have killed the boys or any of the people living there (as few as possible). He could have probably made an alliance with his sister if he hadn't been so proud.

***SPOILER ALERT***
    With such an alliance he should still have left the castle, sacking it maybe, but could continue doing great things, without losing the entire North for the wolves and all the consequences thereafter.
    If he had left before any garrison had come back, he'd have been a proper reaver and well-seen in the eyes of his crew and others: he will have taken Winterfell; a great feat, will have sacked it (getting rich) and then returned with only very few losses. He would have lived and maybe even helped the Iron Islands.

4. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    This is true, but I think when you've spent that much time at another's family and they've practically accepted you as a brother/son (except by Catelyn, she never trusted him..), that family becomes your family. I think it's really ethically wrong what he did.
    Also I think his decision to abandon the Starks and side with his family is motivated by his hunger for power and fame, more than his wish to be accepted by his family. He doesn't want to be just accepted by his sis, he also wanted to astonish her with his oh so grant plan and courage (also to restore his manlihood which had serious setbacks since his sister appeared to a greater leader than himself). And he wants to earn respect from his father not just because the man happens to be his father but also because he wants to inherit his position when he dies. He's just an ambitious and sexist asshole with daddy issues. I really dislike Theon.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    It was his father he really wanted to impress: he'd been hearing about these legendary Ironmen, his own people. Men who had rebelled and were powerful.
    He thought that he could be one of them and had not realised that his father wanted to do more that the Ironmen could do. He thought that he knew what to do as one of them and he failed.
    ***SPOILER ALERT***
    I think that's he's sort of a semi-redeeming character: he doesn't kill the Starks in the end (but does the miller's boys) and he dies without any fame or glory; his character is redeemed for him by others.

6. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I love Theon's character; he's a pretty horrible guy but the inner conflict he goes through is all too understandable given his upbringing. He's one of the most complex characters in the series, IMO. Easy to hate, but very pitiable too.

*SORT-OF SPOILER ALERT*

Druid, you need to read more of series ;).

7. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Aiming a spoiler alert at me isn't fair!

8. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Sorry! I've just seen from the 'what are you reading?' thread that you're on to ADWD though, so it's not actually a spoiler for you. ASOS makes it pretty clear that Theon is in the Bolton's dungeons, not dead.

9. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Argh!
    You've just spoilt it!

10. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I can't really spoil something you've already read...

Oh, and I meant AFFC rather than ADWD in the post above, but nonetheless you've already read the relevant part.

11. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I has not!
    I had no idea of that!

*mutters* Irish...

12. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    What's my nationality got to do with it? :p Sorry, but it is there in one of Catelyn's chapters just before they get to the Frey's in ASOS.

13. Eustace

Eustace The One True Tsar

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Really? I don't remember this bit... well, it could be interesting to see what happens to him...

**SPOILER**

My answer to the OP is based on what I know at the moment: He's dead, so it doesn't seem like it was a good choice... ;)

14. bloodfiredeath

bloodfiredeath Die by the Sword

Ratings:
    +208 / 0 / -0
    Guess he wanted fatherly love rather than brotherly love.
    One can only guess at the abandonment issues etc the poor lad faced.
    And trying to impress his iron born father and gain his trust/love etc after spending most of his life in the Stark household would become a priority, compounded by the standing his sister holds on the iron isles.

Also who wouldn't want to impress Balon Greyjoy as he has the best skullet in on screen history!!