Did Obi-Wan do the right thing?

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Cascador, Jun 28, 2005.

?

Did Obi-Wan do the right thing with drawing his lightsaber

1. Yes, there was no hope for Anakin

24 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No, there was still hope, he drew his lightsaber too soon.

10 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. I have another opinion (if so which one?)

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Lord Kenobi

Lord Kenobi The Negotiator

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    lets say qui gon was to live..... would it change anakin to still become a jedi? or would it have not mattered.....

2. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I already told you, if Qui-Gon was to train Anakin, it would be most likely he would not fall to the Dark Side. Anakin had a strong connection with him from as soon as they met, a connection he didn't have with Obi-Wan. That connection could have prevented the influence of Palpatine.

3. Lord Kenobi

Lord Kenobi The Negotiator

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    ohhh... ya i remember sorry.... for asking you again.....

4. Schmavid

Schmavid A simple wanderer.

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I don't think so Anakin. Anakin's destiny was to bring balance to the Force and he manages to do that in Episode 6.

5. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    yes and nobody knows if he would have brought balance to the Force if he did not go to the Dark Side. Many speculate not (and me too) that he wouldn't have brought balance, since Anakin going to the Dark Side was all planned by the Force. It was his destiny...
    But he only had to kill two people to bring balance to the Force in what happened...Palpatine and himself. If he did not fall to the Dark Side and Sidious was unmasked he only had to kill him. Again nobody will know...

6. MasterofReality

MasterofReality The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think Obi Wan did the right thing, but shouldn't have done everything so soon. Anakin wasn't really himself I don't think so there probably wasn't that much use in talking, but still he might have reminded him that Pame didn't want it and such. It would have had more a chance of changing his mind than fighting him. But Obi Wan knew he wasn't goign to change his mind I guess.

7. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Watching ROTS last night again, Anakin was in no mood to listen to reason :) If Obi-Wan hadn't drawn his saber I'm sure Anakin still would have attacked him, because "the Jedi are evil". And he'd have to know that slaughtering everyone in the Jedi temple and killing unarmed Separatists - there's no going back from that straight away.

8. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Well remember...Anakin did gave Obi-Wan a choice...and Obi-Wan was pushing it. Anakin specificallly said "Don't make me kill you!" But Obi-Wan thought the sole thing he had to do was kill Anakin. But Luke knew better.

9. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    What choice was that exactly? All I seem to remember is him saying something like "Join me or die!" :p Which ain't exactly a choice that a noble Jedi Master like Obi-Wan would take!

10. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    no...he said, if you're not with me, then you're my enemy...after Obi-Wan didn't want to quit lecturing Anakin about the Dark Side blah blah blah blah...but before he said don't make me kill you...in other words....leave or get killed...I don't say that Obi-Wan should have left...but grabbing his saber wasn't the right thing...that is just asking for trouble, especially with a Sith.

11. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    "If you're not with me, you're my enemy" is a blatant challenge. Let's forget Obi-Wan for a second and look at Anakin. Did Anakin do the right thing by straight out challenging Obi-Wan to throw away his lifelong dedication to the Jedi and become a Sith, or Anakin would immediately consider him his enemy? And what does a Sith do when confronted with an enemy? They destroy them.

12. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Well yeah good thinking...let's think about Anakin. In theory Anakin wasn't a Sith yet, only in title. Cause he still wanted to do good...from his point of view. Anakin thought the Jedi to be evil. So that is why he wiped them out in the temple. But he wasn't a Sith, he didn't really join Palpatine yet. He wanted the power to save Padmé and he wanted more. True that is not really a good thing lol. But like Padmé and Luke said there was still good in him. And sorry to pull Obi-Wan again in it...why didn't he sense it? He was blind just as Luke was in ESB. But Obi-Wan is a Jedi Master...he should be above Luke...why didn't he see it. The thing is...Anakin could have changed...he even wanted to kill the last Sith. Although still with a lust for power, what does he want with politics? He wanted to rule the galaxy...but he couldn't do that without Padmé. Look I'm not gonna write here for hours, trying to say "Anakin is the good guy" cause he isn't, but things would have been a whole lot different if Obi-Wan was not so blind.

13. lewy

lewy Lewy the lethal lunatic!

In the darkest valleys of death and despair...
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    well, i'm not gonna get involved.. but, wasn't anakin actually darth vader of title that time? or more exactly; lord vader? my friends call him anakin untill he get that suit, but didn't the emperor give him the lord vader title before the battle of mustafar??

and by the way, i maybe think qui-gon is the best jedi master... (if you remember this one:D)

14. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    well in name Anakin became a Sith in name when Mace got killed and he said he would bless himself to Palpatine's teachings.
    But yes he only became a true Sith when he had to wear the suit. Cause like George Lucas explained Anakin died when he was brought to the medical center where they "created" the real Darth Vader...the one we know in the suit.

Search tags for this page

anakin did the right thing