Did Obi-Wan do the right thing?

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Cascador, Jun 28, 2005.

?

Did Obi-Wan do the right thing with drawing his lightsaber

1. Yes, there was no hope for Anakin

24 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No, there was still hope, he drew his lightsaber too soon.

10 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. I have another opinion (if so which one?)

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. volksmenner

volksmenner practitioner of æsthetics

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    its my fault if i send a friend up the stairs, to stop the baby while its falling, when i could have instead used my friend to help catch the baby.

of course the emperor and anakin are to blame. but obi wan and yoda should not have split up. their rookie arrogance caused more harm than it did good. perhaps if anakin wasn't maimed, then he could have checked the power of the emperor or destroyed him. or if as you say, obi wan was there to deal justice he should have finished anakin. leaving him alive was his second mistake. what the hell?

i see what you are saying, but your illustration and obi wan's situation are completely different, one is reactive the other proactive.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  2. Fox

Fox New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Well seeing as how episodes 4 5 and 6 were already made, killing anakin would have created a time paradox! :p

However... no, its not ur fault if u send a guy up the stairs. Still isnt. You made a mistake. A wrong move. Failure to catch the baby is your fault. But the baby splattering on the sidewalk is NOT your fault.

3. Darth Qui-gon

Darth Qui-gon Man its good to be back

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I believe that i would have to agree with Fox. Sidious clouded the jedi's foresight and they were unable to see what was goin to happen. and as far as sidious would have owned Obi-wan, not so sure, obi-wan was a master of form 3. this form when mastered can basically leave you untouchable, as to say he was only defeated when he let Vader strike him down. i think that it would have been a good fight. now im not saying that he would have won, but i am saying that i dont think that it would have been a done deal, and sidious would have owned obi-wan

4. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    No Sidious would have Own3d him....Sidious was able to defeat Yoda, and Yoda is a much more skilled fighter than Obi-Wan.

5. Darth Qui-gon

Darth Qui-gon Man its good to be back

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

I guess we'll agree to disagree on this topic :argue:

6. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    there was no hope for anakin. He was already completly turned to the darkside. Palpatine had already completly corrupted him into thinking that he could save Padme.

7. lewy

lewy Lewy the lethal lunatic!

In the darkest valleys of death and despair...
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    no one could have persuaded anakin, not even obi wan. THE EMPEROR had tricked him to believe that the dark side was the only way to save padme. and he would do anything for her.

8. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Yeah...that much is clear in ROTJ :rolleyes:

9. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    The love of a son and the love of a teacher who you think betrayed you are quite different things though :)

10. Wing Rider

Wing Rider Psychotic Cybernetica

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Anakin would do anything to save Padme - turning away from the dark side wouldn't qualify for that. He was already gone at that point.

11. Schmavid

Schmavid A simple wanderer.

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Obi-Wan did the right thing. Anakin had killed defenceless children and could not have been saved by Obi-Wan.

12. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I'd like something to add...many may think that I'm just trying to bash Obi-Wan by creating and critizing him because he didn't train Anakin well. Truth which I learned recently is, no Jedi could, only Qui-Gon. If Mace trained him Anakin would most likely still turn to the Dark Side. I think no Jedi could have trained Anakin because Anakin is exceptional and difficult. He was too old, everything what was said about him is true...arrogance, stubborn...But like I said in previous post if Qui-Gon was still alive and he was his master, he would not have turned to the Dark Side. But it's not Obi-Wan's fault he died (although some say it was his fault), Some say it was Qui-Gon's fault that he forced Obi-Wan to promise to train Anakin. Maybe that is true. It took a long while that Obi-Wan truely accepted him as his Padawan...more than ten years...

13. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    What made Qui-Gon so different? Qui-Gon himself was a rebellious sort of Jedi. Why would that sort of role model have made Anakin more agreeable?

14. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Because Anakin had an emotional attachment to him right from the start. He didn't have that with Obi-Wan. They became only friends during the Clone Wars. Anakin would have respected Qui-Gon as a father seen him as a role-model and could have prevented manipulation by Palpatine. Cause what Palpatine said to Anakin contradicted what Obi-Wan teached him, but since Anakin didn't listen to Obi-Wan since he was rebellious to Obi-Wan and felt like he was holding him back, it didn't matter. Qui-Gon and Anakin are also more similar. They are both rebellious but Qui-Gon was still wise about the light side of the Force and the living Force itself. If his teaching contradicted the things Palpatine said than Anakin would have refused it, as Anakin would listen to his "father". But in actuallity Anakin needed a father, but Palpatine was more like his father than Obi-Wan, that is why he got highly influenced by him.

15. lewy

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    agree, ankin. but still, obi-wan was the second best quallified to train him, i think...

16. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    nah, I much more experienced trainer was needed...I admit that Obi-Wan was very experienced at the time of ep III, but Anakin became his padawan when Kenobi just became a knight, so he didn't have much experience. But it's not his fault...he was forced to train him from a certain point of view.

17. Lord Kenobi

Lord Kenobi The Negotiator

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    i have one question.... if obi-wan reached to the level of master.... why didnt he have a green lightsaber...

18. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    not every Jedi masters have green lightsaber, Ki-Adi-Mundi is a master in ep III, he has a blue one. Luke was not a master yet, tho he has a green one.

19. lewy

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    anakin, do i understand correct when i asume you think qui-gon is/was the best jedi master?

20. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I never said he is/was the best Jedi master, but I did say he was the best choice to train Anakin. It's not just his experience that would have prevented Anakin to go to the Dark Side, it would be his influence.

Search tags for this page

anakin did the right thing