Did Obi-Wan do the right thing?

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Cascador, Jun 28, 2005.

?

Did Obi-Wan do the right thing with drawing his lightsaber

1. Yes, there was no hope for Anakin

24 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No, there was still hope, he drew his lightsaber too soon.

10 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. I have another opinion (if so which one?)

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Darth Qui-gon

Darth Qui-gon Man its good to be back

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Sorry i was typin fast i mis spelled Anakin through the whole thing, just now caught it, my bad

2. Fox

Fox New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I don't have an opinion of what I think he should have done. What happened happened, but I think it shows Obi Wan's human side, and that's what I really like about him. Because of working with Anakin, training him, saving eachother's lives in the past and all made Obi Wan feel responsible for what happened to the Jedi at the temple. He felt betrayed, but not by Anakin I dont think. I think he felt betrayed by himself for not guiding Anakin where he should have, and being sort of oblivious sometimes to his growing anger. If not that, then I think he was pretty much just fed up with him. He had gone too far this time. I can only answer based on what I would think obviously, but I would probably have done what Obi Wan did. It was hot headed, yes, but it was in the moment and understandable.

And besides, isn't that what Jedi do? You gotta have an awesome saber fight the last 15 minutes of the movie! :p

3. Darth Qui-gon

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I can agree with that

4. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Jedi Master

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Weather or not Obi -wan had made the right choice depends on how u look at it really. They were like brothers, and Obi-wan had tried to reason w/ anakin throughout the duration of the battle. However, Anakin was indeed a great threat to society and given the situation Obi- wan did wat he felt was neccessary. Its clear that he didnt want to, He simply had no alternative than to disarm his apponent..... as well as his legs : )

5. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    like brothers is a little exagerated...they were like brothers in the clone wars. But brothers have secrets from each other too. I mean for 10 years long Obi-Wan and Anakin hardly had a connection...Why? Obi-Wan never really chose Anakin as an apprentice. I mean...this is what many said "If Anakin was trained by Qui-Gon Jinn, he would not have fallen to the Dark Side". Very likely, cause Qui-Gon and Anakin already had a connection from the start. Qui-Gon was like a father to Anakin. So in all the 10 years before the Clone Wars their strenght in their bond together could have overconquered the one of Palpatine. Anakin would have trusted Qui-Gon more. Cause he hardly trusted Obi-Wan even if they were like brothers. Qui-Gon and Anakin are also more similar in character. Obi-Wan is very firm and a true servant of the Jedi Council. Qui-gon and Anakin are both more rebellious. Qui-Gon didn't care much about the Jedi Council....he trusted in the Force. And didn't Qui-Gon say before he died that Obi-Wan still had much to learn about the living Force? So Anakin would have cared more for that instead of what the council was thinking. He would also be a lot less arrogant. Cause his arogance came from being so rebellious against Obi-Wan and yes also from his powers.

6. Darth Qui-gon

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I have always said the if Anakin was trained by Qui-gon he would not have turned. I also think that Obi-wan was not ready for an apperentace. He pretty much had an apperentace before he actually became a Jedi Knight. I think that his "rookieness" at being a full knight also aided in Anakins turn to the dark side. I also think that the "they were like brothers" part comes from the fact that I believe that Obi-wan also looked at Qui-gon as a father figure a lot like Anakin. So they of course they would argue, its was brothers due. Its just in this case the argueing put doubt in Anakin, which left to door wide open for the sith to come in and currupt him

7. Galad

Galad Lord of The Light.

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i have Voted that there was no hope for anakin. that said Obi-wan was a bit keen to turn poor little confused Ani into sushi, but then if he didnt challenge Ani then Padme would be dead (sobs) and we all know that Ani was unstoppable, his only weakness was in his mind. so someone had to stop him before he became too powerful and full of hate that would cause quite a bit of damage.

8. Darth Qui-gon

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I also think that things would have gone completely different if Obi-wan had gone to face Darth Sidious and Yoda went to Anakin. I would love to see those fights.

9. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I think things would have gone different then...I think Yoda would have killed Anakin cause he felt like that was what he had to do...
    Obi-Wan would not able to fight Sidious...Obi-Wan would have been killed or at least heavily wounded. As you know the emperor went to mustafar...so Yoda could still be there to and then they could start fighting...Yoda would again have the disadvantage cause the emperor had his troops with him. Maybe he had a chance of killing them too, but he would be tired to do a second fight, so fighting sidious would have given Yoda a hard time.

10. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Well, the emperor had his troops with him when Yoda attacked and they didn't do much good. ;)

11. Darth Qui-gon

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I still would have loved to see how it would have played out had yoda went to anakin and obi-wan went to face sidious

12. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    you're refering to the Royal Guards in the office who were also catched off-guard...yes Yoda would still have a big chance defeating shock troopers but like I said he would already be exhausted after a fight with Anakin, so Sidious would certainly have the advantage.

13. Darth Qui-gon

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    And I'm not so sure that Obi-wan couldnt handle sidious. Cause he did ok against Grevious (i know he isnt a jedi/sith but still) and i with Obi-wan being a great defensive duelest i dont know how that would have played out, but either way it would have been a great fight.

14. Fox

Fox New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Obi Wan is a GREAT defensive duelist! That time! That time when he put his saber up and let Vader cut right through him! That was an awesome move! Superb defense! :cool:

nah, I know... Obi Wan rules.

15. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    I think Obi Wan was a great teacher for such a young age but he wasn't ready for an apprentice. I think that he should have taken time to himself to learn more about the Jedi's strengths and weaknesses. I also think he should have roamed a bit before he took an apprentice. Yet what he did was the right thing. The Senator that corrupted Anakin did so with many years of pratice in his wicked heart and soul. If he hadn't drawn his sabre then I'm sure ObiWan would have died then and there. Which in turn would have left Luke without a teacher.

16. Darth Qui-gon

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

Obi-wan did that on purpose, i Believe that he did that to see what luke would do, if he feel so much anger that he would go and attack, or get out of there, like he did. Of course he wanted to go help him and if Han hadnt told him to get out of there he most like wouldnt have, but still he just wanted to see how luke would react.

17. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    yes he did that on purpose, he knew he couldn't escape, he knew he couldn't help Luke captive. He probably knew Vader was gonna kill him and saw it as a dead end. As a being of the Force Obi-Wan was able to help Luke more. Btw Han didn't convince Luke to escape, Obi-Wan did through the Force.

18. Darth Qui-gon

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Han still said come on kid, but yeah thats right i forgot Obi-wan told him to run away

19. volksmenner

volksmenner practitioner of æsthetics

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    obi wan made the greatest mistake of all time in attacking anakin. anakin was angry and he was not thinking clearly. he had his facts mixed up. obi wan being wiser should have came to anakin as a friend not an enemy. i blame obi wan for the emperors victory. anakin, although he might have been prone to anger and desirous of power was not completely evil as the emperor was. however, i cannot completely blame obi wan. yoda is to blame as well. he failed to defeat the emperor. he should have accompanied obi wan in trying to save anakin. what the hell was yoda thinking? the twenty something year reign of the empire is yoda's fault. guilty as charged!

ps. obi wan, although increased in his lightsaber skills since the phantom menace and attack of the clones, would not even stand a chance against sideous. actually i do not even understand how he defeated greivous. in the cartoon greivous pwned the jedi. even after that injury he sustained from mace windu, he would have been far more of an opponent than he came off as in revenge of the sith.

20. Fox

Fox New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Wrong. :rolleyes: I think justice is a big part of the Jedi lifestyle, and Obi wan just walking up to Anakin and saying "all is forgiven friend!" would have been cowardly, weak, and a dishonor to the many fallen jedi killed because of Anakin and Sidious. There comes a time when you have to put the childish act of "I wanna be friends!" aside and do what needs to be done. It wasnt obi wan's fault Anakin did what he did. It was his own, and Sidious's. Anakin had had many chances to play the nice guy. Troubled yes, but should the whole galaxy be punished just because he fell victim to Sidious? No.

And it wasnt Yoda's fault for the Empire! My god, it was Sidious's again. You cant look for a scapegoat to pin everything on just because he didnt stop it. He made a mistake yes, but the reign of the Sith? Not his fault.

If I drop a baby out of a skyscraper and you dont catch it, does that make it your fault? I dont think so. My fault. :knob:

Search tags for this page

anakin did the right thing