Did Obi-Wan do the right thing?

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Cascador, Jun 28, 2005.

?

Did Obi-Wan do the right thing with drawing his lightsaber

1. Yes, there was no hope for Anakin

24 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No, there was still hope, he drew his lightsaber too soon.

10 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. I have another opinion (if so which one?)

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Did Obi-Wan do the right thing by drawing his lightsaber immediatly when he faced Anakin on Mustafar. It seems that he didn't give much attention trying to talk Anakin out of his idea for "his new empire". He may have lust for power, but don't many have that? Does that make you a bad person.

2nd thing is Anakin was planning to kill the emperor. Anakin could do it. He could have killed him if he was still complete and not half machine. So if Anakin killed the emperor there would be only one Sith left...himself. So if Obi-Wan just tried to talk sense in him with the help of Padmé. (cause she dies of a broken heart in ep III, I doubt she would have died if Obi-Wan and Anakin would have returned together) + the fact that he had children could have changed Anakin's mind too. If Anakin would have come back to the light side. He would do the same as his son. Create a new Jedi order...a better order, one where passion is allowed.

Anakin spoke of ruling the galaxy together with Padmé...but how could he. Political he had not much experience, so Padmé would do most of the work, and she would have the oppertunity to convince Anakin to leave the power to the senate. This is all speculation but it is just my opinion because I think that Obi-Wan drew his lightsaber too soon!

2. holly st.Raven

holly st.Raven Romlux

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Obi wan did not draw his light saber too soon. In the state that he was, Anakin would have killed Padme, if not for the chalange from Obi-wan.
    BUT
    He should have refused to fight, like luke in RotJ, he should have tried to reason with him, if anyone could have, it was Obi-wan. All he had to say was something along the lines of: "Will you betray your own heart? Will you betray Padme? She doesn't want you to do this..." And the first flicker of doubt would be planted in Anakin's mind, then from there would be plenty of opportunity to reason with him.

3. Vizion

Vizion Double Tapped

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I voted that Obi-Wan did the right thing, but I think I'm going back and forth.

Drawing his lightsaber so soon may have made Anakin think that Obi-Wan felt he was a lost cause that couldn't be reversed. This might have made Anakin hurt inside, increasing his hate and anger and delving him deeper into the Dark Side.

But if you think about what was going on in Obi-Wan's head, there are some reasons to defend him. With so much un-reversible damage done, (near complete eradication of the Jedi Order, and thousands of years of things that Obi-Wan devoted his life to, wouldn't he feel that Anakin was done for?) And considering that at the moment, Anakin seemed to be full on next-in-command to Sidious, wouldn't Obi-Wan realize that he may be the only Jedi left and this could be his only chance to be rid of the Sith?

This goes either way, I guess its just how you view Obi-Wan as a freind and mentor.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Darth Rave

Darth Rave Sith'ari

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I voted that Obi-Wan drew to so.

I think that Anakin still did not want to join the dark side at this point but that the Jedi refusal of passion left him with what he saw as no other choise. Anakin loved Pademe and only wanted to do what was best for her Obi-Wan could have used this to apeal to Anakin and calm him down. But I think Obi-Wan was confused him self at this point. We saw him, at the end of Episode I, come close to the dark side over the loss of his master. Now he is facing the loss of the hope of his master one that (through Qui-Gons last words) greatly influenced Obi-Wan. So I don't think he was clear on what he waas really doing.

5. OrcShaman

OrcShaman Star Trek addict

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Imho, Obi Wan displayed a perfect sith behaviour: kick a** first ask questions later :) . Weren't Jedi supossed to be more diplomatic? Maybe he should of tryed talking to him first

6. Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi New Member

With my nose pressed against the window at the DMV
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i voted obi wan did the right thing.. anakin would have killed padme, but obi wan pulled out his sabre to challenge him so he would stop ..
    i loved it when anakin said " dont underestimate my powers"
    and then obi wan says " i have the high ground anakin"

then anakin jumps and loses his legs

7. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Obi Wan obviously thought Anakin was a lost cause. But as for trying to manipulate him into working for good, that wouldn't work. And even if Anakin did kill the emperor, he would have done so by becoming more evil than he was before. Besides, if he would have tried to kill Padme, do you honestly think that he would have not killer later?

This is an interesting article I ran across that has relations to this subject, and I would be interested in what people thought about it. http://www.boundless.org/2005/articles/a0001088.cfm

8. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    i think it was the right thing to do....i mean they were like brothers....he wouldn't have drawn on a whim....besides he'd seen the security recordings of the Jedi Temple....and Anakin was going to kill Padme right then and there....but even in the end kenobi didn't want to kill him...no he left it up to the force....

9. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I voted yes he did the right thing. He was being a Jedi and following the instructions of a senior master (Yoda), and the situation he and Padme were in certainly did not leave much room for doubt about Anakin's mindset.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  10. JasonBL

JasonBL New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I still wonder wether Obi-Wan did the right thing by letting Anakin live. He could have destroyed the Sith apprentice by the lake of fire on Mustafar. By doing so, he would have placed a significant obstacle in the way of the Sith's plans.

Of course, by killing Anakin, I suppose that Obi-Wan himself would have given into passion, fear and hate, and thus he would have virtually turned to the Dark Side.

Jason

11. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    first Anakin would not kill Padmé, he felt betrayed. He was more punishing her than killing her. Why would he go through all this trouble to save her and then kill her. Even when he became more machine he still cared for Padmé. So the thought that he wanted to kill Padmé is off. Padmé died of a broken heart, not because of Anakin choking her.

Second Anakin only wanted power to help her. He wanted to do good...like the chancellor said...good is a point of view. Anakin wanted to do good to kill the emperor and he wanted to rule the galaxy because his point of view of good would keep the systems in control. The emperor kept the systems in control by fear for example the death star. I think Anakin would never do such a thing. Anakin is a good person altho he was deceived like Obi-Wan said by a lie.

Obi-Wan knew that he was deceived but instead of trying to talk sense in Anakin he just throws it out by saying "you are lost!" He was agressive...a path to the Dark Side. So Obi-Wan wasn't really doing something by the Jedi Code. In the movie it seems like in the beginning Anakin believed more in the Jedi Code than Obi-Wan did. Even Mace Windu did something against the Jedi Code. The Jedi use their power for knowledge and defence...doesn't seem like they do. Palpatine was defensless. Still Mace wanted to kill him. Why did he wanted to kill him later if he wanted to arrest him in the first place while he later thought it was impossible since he had the senate and the courts in control. Doesn't make sense. Mace first says that the senate will decide his fate, later in anger he wanted to destroy palpatine. Only Anakin said that he should stand trial according to the Jedi code

Anakin didn't want to kill Obi-Wan, but Obi-Wan took his lightsaber first and he didn't take it because he was trying to kill Padmé...no just because Anakin said "if you are not with me, then you are my enemy". So just because he said that Obi-Wan immediatly says that Anakin is a Sith. But was he really? Anakin wanted to kill Sidious...Anakin was on his way to the Dark Side, but that doesn't make him a Sith. Even in the classics Darth Vader wanted something like a Jedi Council since he didn't like the military side of the empire but Palpatine refused that because he was afraid to loose his power.

Obi-Wan wasn't angry on Anakin killing the Jedi temple. He blamed it on himself. Instead of whining he could have tried again to talk some sense in Anakin. He wasn't lost he was deceived. But it's clear on the reaction of Obi-Wan that he relied on anger, probably fear afteral he was facing the chosen one and agression by just chopping his legs and arm off. Also no Jedi way. Also a path to the Dark Side. So in that way Obi-Wan is no better than Anakin.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  12. Vizion

Vizion Double Tapped

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    The reason that Obi-Wan did not finish Anakin off on the banks is because he felt that would be a mercy to Anakin. At that point, if Obi-Wan felt that no mercy should be showed to Anakin, he felt Anakin was truly evil. Anakin told him"I hate you.." which is something a Jedi would never say anyway.

13. Lord Kenobi

Lord Kenobi The Negotiator

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    anakins has a lot of good points and theories

14. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    So, IMHO, I feel that Anakin made a mistake(not saying that he did it for the wrong reasons), but I feel that he talked too much crap and didn't have the balls to back it up. I mean, hitting a girl, that shows his manly powers alright...either way, what is done is done.

15. Vizion

Vizion Double Tapped

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Interesting viewpoint...:D

16. Morelen

Morelen Jer Mom

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I dunno...I think Obi-wan did the right thing. I mean, even when he DID pull his lightsaber he didn't do it really aggressively. (If I remember aright). He pulled it more like "Dude, you're messing with Padme, stop it, I'll fight you if I have to" kinda thing.

But I was surprised that Obi-wan didn't finish Anakin when he was on the bank. Obviously he couldn't have for the purposes of the story, but just the fact that he was like his brother, who was obviosuly in a lot of PAIN...you'd think Obi-wan would at least CONSIDER killing him out of mercy. :sitonsmil

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    he's a sissy and couldn't finish him off just like he couldn't in ep IV:p
    seriously if you compare to what Luke did and Obi-Wan did than you see that Obi-Wan seriously did the wrong thing as he admits himself.

18. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I see Sin's point, I mean at least Luke tried to help his father...I mean Obi-Wan just sat there like he couldn't do anything before he caught on fire.

19. Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi New Member

With my nose pressed against the window at the DMV
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    yeah so obi wan...still did the right thing.. why the hell would you go chop some ones legs off.. and then they cant move.. and then kill them while there down.. who the hell would do that..

20. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    the point is, he didn't kill him...Obi-Wan knew he was still alive, he failed! He just didn't have the heart to kill him. The only thing that got killed is their friendship.

Search tags for this page

anakin did the right thing