Did Dragons Really Exist?

Discussion in 'Medieval Boards' started by Gûd Daedheloth, Aug 13, 2003.

1. tanukiwolff

tanukiwolff Pooka Wolf of Purple Land

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    *sigh* okay, i've read all the posts here in this thread (yes, all) and now it's my turn!

here is an idea no one yet has put forth! the ancient celts, as well as chinese and quie probably other nationalities as well, havw known about deep electromagnetic currents which run through the earth, known now as ley lines. they were (i should say are, since of course the still exist) sources of great energy. the celts marked thes places with standing stones. i borrowed a book once about this couple in the late 70s who went to the britich isles to research them...forgot what it was called! anyway, there is the idea there that the legends of dragons originated from the knowledge of these long powerful lines in the earth. sometimes so much energy would be concentrated in one place, like a lake or rock, mountain, or what have you. then it was said there was a dragon living there. or leviathan, whatever. i agree with pretty much everything else everyone here has said, too. i personally think the legend of dragons is a combination of all of it put together. word travels well, around the world. people from one nation visit another, and well, tales are told, grow, change, develope over time. lots of time. i have had personal experiences of ethereal dragons, in spirit form, like faeries, and remember, faeries and faery creatures may take any form they wish, (or we wish, as i believe they appear to us as our minds may best understand them) i think that when those appeared to me, they were great personifications (dragonifications? lol) of great elemental energies. early man also probably had racial memories of dinosaurs, hence the cave paintings, as well as early man being frightened by snakes. science is getting so much closer to admitting that ogopogo and nessie are in fact the dinosaur known as plesiosaur. the thing with fire breathing, well, there are snakes, for one, who can spit venom up to (do i remember correctly?) 12 feet? someting outrageous like that, anyway, and i'm sure it burns when it touches you! i think it is supposed to have awesome aim, and hit you (or it's prey) in the eyes! that bit from the bible...could it also have been a plesiosaur? or a large concentration of electromagnetic energy, perhaps? religion in europe, especially during mideaval times, has used fear and ignorance amoung the poor to it's 'righteous' advantage...so the idea of the dragon is likely there, as well. i can see how these all grew in to tales shared and distorted amoung many nation's cultures. oh yeah, and the celts as well as the chinese were very fond of stating things poetically, and what is more poetic than explaining earth energies as a great creature? to the chinese, there were mountain dragons, water dragons, air dragons, and fire dragons. each of these elements have great 'spirit' and so must be respected! dragons were considered lucky. of course, if something is so powerful and holds your welfare in it's power, it should be honored and considered lucky! lol well, now, i think i'll stop....what do you all think of that? i hope i didn't leave any thing out!

2. Gin

Gin New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  3. tanukiwolff

tanukiwolff Pooka Wolf of Purple Land

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Oooo! Yesh indeed, that IS pretty amaaaazing! Oo

4. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that thing is huge.

5. Drac Critius

Drac Critius Radical Subjectivist

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

As long as people believe in them.

6. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Probably this is just another type of dinosaur...recently they found the skeleton of a T-Rex, twice the size it generally is. And they found out it is a male who are normally smaller than females. the thing is enormous

• Like Like x 1
  7. Drac Critius

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Do you have a scource?

I'd really like to know more about this.

8. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I heard of this also from my brother who is an expert in Paleontology. He had read about this story, quite facinating. He also read in the same article that in a specimin they also for the first time found actual dinosaur tissue behind the bones of one of the knees. I dont know more about it though, I will need to look it up

9. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    i think they did like some1 else said almost every culture has stories of them..

10. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    No, there were never dragons. Legends can come from anywhere, perhaps even the bones of a dinosaur were discovered and it was believed that it was the remains of an exsisting creature which spread and became myth. Perhaps it is based on exagerations of creatures seen in lands unfamiliar to the observer. Or of course just plain fiction. There are countless realistic possibilities before clinging to dreams

11. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    ok i guess your right- you probbally are. they probally just saw an animal that looks like it but, so many culutures all across the globe- could they all be mistaken? the answer is yes but you still have to wonder........?

12. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I just like to wonder sometimes of what is out there. I mean we know so little about our planet that there has to some amazing creatures out there that we have yet to discover.

13. Shadimar

Shadimar New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It seems I have discovered this thread rather late on in the game! Nevermind, from reading the previous posts it seems a vast majority of supporting evidence is taken from the bible. After reading the relevant passages (Job 3, Job 41, Psalm 74, Psalm 104 and Isaiah27) it seems to me that the physical description of Leviathan is very suggestive of a large reptilian creature. However, Job contains a lot of metorphorical language so this may void these passages for use as any type of concrete evidence. I am not sure if anyone has argued the case of the Behemoth yet but if they have then I think it is fair to say that the descriptions given a too far from what can be conceived as draconian to bare any further thought.

14. Drac Critius

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Theirs also a red dragon mentioned in the new testament.

15. Lord_Croanan

Lord_Croanan King and Conquerer

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    One things for sure, knowing society today, those hiding dragons better stay hiding, cause I doubt they'd last very long.

16. Onime-no-Enishi

Onime-no-Enishi Dragonkin

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    darn, i joined in so late in the game too =S anyway, i agree with croanan @_@ scientists may wanna hunt em to study them or sumthin, and people would fear em and there would be dragon-hunts going around with rocket launchers and stuff (no more the traditional swords and shields xD)

17. Kalyiel

Kalyiel Self-Made Hero

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion, there is a major possiblity that some dinosaurs survived in remote places of the world for a significant period of time, being mistaken for ferocious magical beings by the men who accidentally came to see them.

18. Wing Rider

Wing Rider Psychotic Cybernetica

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    In a section of the Bible, which is near the end in Revelations of the New Testament, there is a section that describes Satan and the Devil and all his evil deeds etc. but the funny thing is that he is referred to as a dragon. And apparently with ten crowns and twelve horns and twelves heads (I think). I was just reading that, thought it was pretty weird, cos that part of the Bible is almost taken from fantasy.

19. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Master of the Ninja Guild

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Probably, but the fire breating thing was added in later generations by people whom were trying to teach kids a lesson. While I doubt it was enormous as some people depicted, I still think there was one. I have a random question: You think Atlantis existed?

20. DazaRulz

DazaRulz The Aussie Soccer Team

Mirkwood, helping Gil-Galad_360 protect Middle-Ear
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well i hope their was Dragons, and are still now.

But i hope they aren't massive massive things that are like 50 ft tall!!!
    I hope their like between 4 and 12 ft tall.

Search tags for this page

did dragons really exist in midieval times