Did Dragons Really Exist?

Discussion in 'Medieval Boards' started by Gûd Daedheloth, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Alfredox

Alfredox Black Magick

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

:stupid: um, yea ive seen dragons too ... like this one---> :dragon:

2. Gundar

Gundar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

fossils from dinosaurs that lived for over 60 million years has been found, but no Dragon fossiles, the Dragons that lived earlier than 30 million years ago.

3. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    dragons only existed in the minds of people of ancient times who couldn't explain things like dinosaur bones, so they desided it must bne some aweful moster that was slain by no less than a brave knight or a holy saint

4. Spiritdragon

Spiritdragon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Read A.A.Attanasio,

His book The Dragon and the Unicorn is brilliant

In it he has the dragon, as a HUGE beast that coils around the core of the earth, the mountians are his scales and the people are like a bacteria that he shrugs off now and again, using earthquakes!!

Brilliant stuff

As to the question, I believe that Dragons did exist because there are mentions of Dragonish beasts from EVERY culture and population, from the Eskimos, the Chinese, the South American Indians EVERYWHERE...there is always a Truth behind a legend

Cheers

JAmes

5. cbofthecs

cbofthecs The Fat

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think dragons are just dinosars that people thought was a big thing that they called dragons.

6. Aife..

Aife.. Sing to me of yesterday..

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think the dragons did exist. How else would you explain writings from China to Turkey depicting a large snake like monster? Chance does not work itself out as such.

7. §oul Bane

§oul Bane Active Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    My personal beleif is that there were oversized lizard like creatures (dinosaur relatives maby...) that people called dragons. As the lizard creatures died out, the story of them was passed down and who does'nt like to elaborate on stories, "They had fangs a foot long! With talons to match, and when it opened its mouth 40 foot long flames came out! (Crowd gasps)" So were there dragon like creatures? Why not. Did they breath fire or any of the other far fetched things of that sort. No. Thats my opinion on the matter.

8. Lord_Croanan

Lord_Croanan King and Conquerer

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    yes, i would agree with that, although stories usally have a grain of truth. Personally, we've had the field of archology for around 200 years, we've found everything from preostoric men to dinosause, but no dragons. Or at least the firebreathing, winged, clawed medivel dragons of lore. One would think if all these cululturse had stories of them, we'd at least find part of a fossile. Of course, i'm not extactly well read in the study of digging in the earth and finding old stuff.

9. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    My views are simular. I dont think they actually existed. But then again we know so little about our world. They could have, wouldnt that be cool.

10. Longswordsman

Longswordsman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

Look up the history of the Byzantines. Its recorded that a large 'worm like' creature was slain and its remains kept in Constantinople for over 100 years. Described as being as long as 10 horses. With the upheavals of the Empire and its final defeat the remains were lost. But that it was there is beyond dispute. Many scholars did describe seeing it while on pilgrimage. Denying it existed simply because its remains are now lost are akin to denying Alexander the Great existed simply because his remains are now lost too. Maybe a little extreme comparison but you get the picture.

Marine researchers now admit something very large lives in Loch Ness and Lake Ogopogo(sp?) but they simply havent figured what yet. They are not the only creatures either.

The fire breathing dragon is relatively new. It was invented sometime in the 17th century by Christian scholars. Prior to that dragons were never described as fire breathers.

Even with all the strange carcasses that have washed up on beaches worldwide that biologist cannot identify, the fact that the vasy majority of us who refuse to believe that there is much more out there then we can grasp is proof of how negative and skeptical we have become. Judases!! The lot of us. :)

Longswordsman

11. Hsaru

Hsaru Son of Ickem

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    dragons are real if ne1 asks y u dont see there bones say this u see dinosoar bones cuz there dead the dragons ARENT DEAD

12. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    In english?

13. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    translation (I think): dragons are real, if one asks you why you dont see there bones, say this: You see dinosaur bones, cause they are dead! The dragons aren't dead!!!

really? I'll accept that I haven't seen bones of dragons...I admit...But why don't I see dragons flying around?:D

14. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the translation Anakin

and there would be bones somwhere...humans are still around and we find our bones...so one could gather that even if they do exist there would still be bones.

15. Lord_Croanan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    As much as i want to believe there are still firebreathing killer lizards roaming the sky, the fact that there are only legends persuades me otherwise. There are over 6 billion people on this planet (estimite) and i beleive that at least somone would have seen them, and told somebody else. No accounts by King Richard the Lionheart tell of dragons meeting him in Jeruselem, nor were their any chinese scholars writing about thier ecounters with them whilest fishing. But you never know, i'm sure tommorow several dragons will ripe out my small intestines and tell me King Richard didn't write about that.

16. Hsaru

Hsaru Son of Ickem

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    dragons existed and they dont find remains of them because they arent dead and there are too many simalar myths about them in different parts of the world that it is too unlikely that they arent here the same goes with aliens because the odds are just too big that in 100s of thousands of planets theres just 1 that contains life same with dragons the odds are too big sorry about last time a typed in i was at school and the teacher was passing by

17. Tilion

Tilion Was never a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I believe punctuation still exists, though you might not believe so if you read some of the posts here.

18. No_one

No_one First Matron Xorlarrin

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I believe there WERE dragons, though I doubt they remain. As mentioned above, there are far too many world spread rumor and legends. They had to branch from some semblance of truth, didn't they?

19. Lord_Croanan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    true, but the fact remains, although we have not colonized the entire planet, we still know of almost every part but the dephts of the sea. There have not been legends or sitings for a millinia now, or at least none that have made legend or news. I do believe that a animal that may have resembled a dragon once existed, but either they are now in hiding or dead

20. Angel of Chaos

Angel of Chaos Music House Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Just a little something for you people to ponder on:

1) A Dragon has 6 limbs, count them, 4 legs, 2 wings, thats 6.....wait....yeah, thats 6. Now look at Mammals, Reptiles and Anphibeans. Now, as far as i know, there are no 6 limbed mammals or reptiles on Earth, and i am not quite so sure about anphibeans but i think not. Now, do you think that somewhere in the genepool that was earths beginning of life, only one Land based creature that is none Insectoid/Aracnid type, would have more than 4 limbs?????

2)A contradictory point to this is that all over the world legends have sprung up, China, Europe, Middle east, its all in legends. Coincidence???

Then again, many people would have been quite gullible then, as they are now, for example, in america today, one person says they see an alien, another sees a shadowy figure and assumes, thats an alien, but its actually just some guy with a bike helmet on. see my point? Some guy spreads a rumour about a dragon to drive people away from one town and into his for business, says its a flying beast, calls it a dragon......see where i am going on this? Its all human error and human gulliblity and so on....

3)The commodo dragon, a ground crawling creature, quite menacing, lives in asia, and could be seen to ressemble the chinese dragons of legend. A few rumours, some get spread west, people start seeing things they dont believe, human error thing again.

Dont Get me wrong, i love dragons, i would like them to be real, but to me, it seems very unlikley.

Search tags for this page

did dragons really exist in midieval times