Did Dragons Really Exist?

Discussion in 'Medieval Boards' started by Gûd Daedheloth, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Lady Dark Moon

Lady Dark Moon Goddess of Black Magic

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    there was a similar case where they thought that giants existed, only to find that they were mismatched woolly mammoth bones.

2. Celestial Wanderer

Celestial Wanderer searching for peace...

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    How is possible it that dragons can breath fire, and you know, not get burnt inside? Well, if they really did exist, i suppose thats why we can't get bones to prove that fire-breating dragons existed. Onl

3. Plish

Plish Soul Sailing Psychonaut

on mountain of fire, waiting for the ash to guide
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    HAs n e one ever thought that the priests and holy men made it up to strengthen thier religun? that they spread rumors of horrible creatures that spitfire and feeed off men and thier flocks of sheep so peaople would flock to worship the one god himself in hope that they would b protected? as for the nobles, they made up tales for themselves to brag to thier king that they have slewn the great dragon for him.

sorry to burst your bubble if i did.

4. Celestial Wanderer

Celestial Wanderer searching for peace...

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, perhaps that could be the case. After all, in Europe., many women were burnt as witches by church authorities. I suppose the best way you can get back a woman you dislike back then, was to pretend that you had been bewitched by her and tell that to the person in authority. This is a convenient and cruel way to finish a person off. Also, all the " innocent" tests never prove anything. For one thing, no one can float in a river ,while tied to a stone. The peson who drowns is innocent and the peson who floats, is guilty and to be bunt! Either way, it is death for the peson.

Really saddening...

5. Zidane

Zidane Master Thief

Wherever the palace guards can't find me.
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    OKay I just saw this thread and it looked interesting.Here we go,Celestial,if dragons did exist and did breath fire they would have,lets say evolution was real,evolved a protective coating in the mouth to protect from high temperatures.AlsoI don't think that a religious leader would tell a tale of a large fire breathing man eater,it would be to readily disproved,they went more for the things that went bump in the night for example witches,warlocks,demons etc.Anyways moving on,it's a very real possibility that dragons existed I mean we don't know what species were around way back when.Hell unicorns,and fairies could have existed.We haven't just started sending species to their extinction in the last 300 years or so.It's really up to personal perception until something's found to prove otherwise.thank you for listenign to me.

6. OrcShaman

OrcShaman Star Trek addict

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Well, let's see... St. George and the dragon. And allthough i don't remember them being firebrethers: Tiamat, the babylonian Sirush , the Hydra (it was one of Ares' creatures)
    Where are the proofs? Fosyles, skeletons, something

7. Zidane

Zidane Master Thief

Wherever the palace guards can't find me.
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I said make them up those are actual legends they'd been around for a while thus they are easier to beleive,you don't understand what I meant,and I never said there were proofs God damn read,I said until something comes up it's all speculation.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  8. Krae Sidian

Krae Sidian New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    actually it was recently discovered that a "hobbit" form of man did exist many ages during the man evolution he evovled from homo-erectis (i think that was his name) and were wiped out due to the fact that the whole species stayed on one ialand and were either wiped out by a volcanoe or killed by modern humans

here is the site for the beetle
    http://www.wcsscience.com/bombardier/beetle.html

as for dragons being real eh sure why not.

9. aaron.j.cypher

aaron.j.cypher Aaron, King of the Flakes

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Seriously... fire breathing giant lizards that were smote down either by magic or an iron clad knight? Come now, they've been refered to as mythical beings for ages...
    Same thing with Aliens, show me some proof and I'll believe you entirely. And, that has nothing to do with God, so anyone who wants to try and relate the two just stop now. God is your belief in faith and however one views God. Besides, that delves into religion, not myth.
    Again, is there really any honest rebutle for a dragon being myth?

10. Taylasha

Taylasha General warrior, assasin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Check this out. It actually talks about dragons in the Bible. There is a whole place in Job where God talks about dragons. Or, at least that's what it sounds like. Pretty sweet, right?

:dragon:

11. aaron.j.cypher

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    HA! Ok, if so, then quote it... or just tell me that passage... I highly doubt that God referes to these dragons as being actual, factual creatures.

12. Taylasha

Taylasha General warrior, assasin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    His snorting throws out flashes of light,
    his eyes are like the rays of dawn.
    Firebrands strem from his mouth,
    sparks of fire shoot out.
    Smoke pours from his nostrils
    as from a pot boiling over a fire of reeds.
    His breath sets coals ablaze,
    and flames dart from his mouth.
    When he rises up, the mighty are terrified;
    they retreat before his thrashing.
    The sword that reaches him has no effect,
    nor does the spear or dart or javelin.
    Iron he treats like straw and
    bronze like rotten wood.
    Nothing on earth is his equal-
    a creature without fear.
    Job 41:19-21, 26-27, 33-34

13. CamFreebooter

CamFreebooter Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do dragons really exist? Not now................................BURP!.

14. goblinfoundry

goblinfoundry New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes...they're called dinosaur fossils. :D

15. aaron.j.cypher

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Alright, I shall go and look this up... even though I work at a church I somehow can't manage to find a bible... odd.
    Before I research the passage, I highly doubt that this was refering to a dragon. Besides the fact that the bible uses many annalogies and stories to get it's message across... All these factors have to be taken into account before ready a passage like that.
    That and the fact that this passage is most likely refering to the Devil or Satan, as it were.

I really hope you weren't being serious... lol, you are aware of the difference.

16. goblinfoundry

goblinfoundry New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's there. The passage is talking about a creature called a Leviathan that resembles what we might call a dragon.

Well, if I was a 5th cent. BC farmer that stumbled upon them, I would probably make up all kinds of fantastical stories about the dragon that had died in my back yard. And insist that such a creature existed because the bones were right there and as real as the carcasses of my cows or sheep.

Being as I'm not a 5th cent. BC farmer, no, I don't really believe in dragons. :)

17. Max_Draco

Max_Draco New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I say yes. People say Dinosaurs evolved into chickens (very amusing really considering me and my siblings would chase them around the garden when we were little and then they'd chase us!) But I also believe they still exist in places. We have lots of weird beasties where I live. For one there must be some sort of werewolf or VERY big creature to have left the cow carcus me and my family found when we were driving home one night via the back roads. We don't have big fearus animals as suck so this was a suprise. It'd left the cows head, spine and clumps of flesh on it. We phoned the poilce and they came out but found nothing...expect for some sheeps blood. So something must have done it. Just don't talk about Dog Soilders on a full moon like we did that night when we found it.o_O; Plus my Dad told me a while ago that when he was in the Army, coming home from a trip, him and osme of his Army friends saw some massive shadow fly over them. It was bigger than a bird and it couldn't have been a plane (you'd know if it was). They all assumed it must have been some sort of creature...perhaps a Dragon? The way I see it many 'mythical' creatures have simply blended into society waiting for the day they can return without people fearing them. If you've ever seen The Last Unicorn the story explains that mortals can't see her horn simply because they don't believe anymore. But a few can.

I know it sounds werid but that's my opinion. Why would so many people mention Dragons in the past if they hadn't existed. They might not identical in each story but it's like when the Monks drew Lions, they simply guessed or used the descriptions of travelers...

Cya!

Angie^-^v

18. walmartshopper

walmartshopper New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Adrienne Mayor, an independent scholar of natural history folklore and the early history of science, explains a lot about the origin of dragons and myths in her two books:

The First Fossil Hunters: Paleontology in Greek and Roman Times.
    Fossil Legends of the First Americans

19. Raunie

Raunie New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The most far-fetched conclusion i dare to make, is that in some time there have been some dragon-like creatures, which have been mytho'd by cavemen, leaving legends about mighty creatures.. perhaps dragons were about a foot tall in the first place xD

20. Wolf

Wolf Professor Nick Cutter.

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I think that there are so many sources from the past relating to dragons and their existance, so some sort of dragons must have existed. Then again, there have been no fossils or remains found, which is why the discussion is open, really.

Search tags for this page

did dragons really exist in midieval times