Did Dragons Really Exist?

Discussion in 'Medieval Boards' started by Gûd Daedheloth, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Did you know that when the first full set of dinosaur bones were unearthed, the archeologist put them together with no specific reason, they just made up a creature with ribs on its thighs and a jaw in its forehead (maybe that was a bit of an exaggeration, but the basic prospect was true).

That may have somne relevance to the topic, or not, im just a bit bored to be honest.

2. Lainovion

Lainovion Royal Guard of Gil-Galad

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, you have sparked my intrique about a fire breathing beetle Gud Daedheloth, please post some more info on this creature .

3. HaldirofLorien

HaldirofLorien Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Do dragons exsist do unicorns exsist- i found a piece offlavour text on a magic the gathering trading card which pretty much sums this all up:-
    " Unicorns dont care wether you belive in them any moe than you care if they belive in you"

4. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Had a fun experience with as close as get to dragon tamer in this age. A guy had a small private zoo in a local mall; turned out he did presentations for schools. He had a collection of parrots and a variety of reptiles including a pair of large Burmese pythons. In one large cage, he kept a six-foot long Asian water monitor named Bubbles. This is the species of lizard closest to the Komodo dragon. I got a rare moment of privilege sitting in the cage with her; she was actually quite tame and real sweetheart. For those who have lots of time, money, and space, and the desire to have a pet dragon, this would do it. She even sat on my lap like a cat!

5. Thorin

Thorin Avatar of Darkness

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Can you find a picture of what it looks like?

I think it is a possiblity that Dragons did exist. But instead of thinking about the past... im gonna think in the future. Say... in 50 years... we'll for sure have the technology to go into someons genes and genitcally alter someone. You could change the colour of your hair without having it dyed. Whos to say that we wont be able to make super animals... squrrils that eat catterpilers instead of nuts( weird i know) Why not make our own species? Take the body of a lizard, and the wings of a bird and combind the genes and genetic code to create a flying lizard. Yout not to far off a Dragon. There are endless possiblities :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2004
  6. Tilion

Tilion Was never a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The beetle you are talking about is called a bombardier beetle and is found in temperate zones. It does not "breethe" fire, nor does it squirt fire. What it does however is mix chemicals inside a chamber. When it is threatened they are moved into another thick walled chamber where two more chemicals which act like a katalyst are added. They make the two chemicals react together rapidly, heating it up to the temperature of water boiling and evaporating a part of it. This is the minor explosion that causes the hot chemicals (which are irritating on their own by the way) to squirt out. No fire is include.

I don't believe in dragons as described in some old tales, having wings and breathing fire. I've never seen any proof. The notion that the proof might have been erased or that maybe it has not yet been found doesn't do anything for me. If there is no evidence to the contrary I believe in the likeliest probability. Which is that a highly evolved firespewing lizardlike winged creature did not exist instead of that it did exist, but there is conveniently no evidence. This is not an attack, you can believe what you want. I just like to stick to reality and keep my feet on the ground.

7. Faerlight

Faerlight Somewhere Far Away

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I believe they exist, but that's because I've always felt a strong connection to them. When concerning beasts of magic origin, you don't just simply find evidence of their existence, because in this modern world people don't want them to exist. That's not much incentive to show yourself, now is it? lol, but I'm a fantasist. I have to believe in dragons and magic, because they are what keep me going in reality, ^_^.

One of my favorite poems was, "If you don't believe in dragons it is curiously true, that the dragons you disparage choose to not believe in you." Magic is something you have to really believe in if you ever have a chance of seeing it, and I think that goes for dragons too, and unicorns, pegasus, etc... To me, it doesn't matter that Dragons may not be real in the sense that you see them in every day life like you would a bird. Knowing that they exist in our thoughts, and in me, is enough.

8. steelpounder

steelpounder New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    on fossil evidence; one theme reapeated in many myths about dragons is they always eat there dead. In some of these legends it is because they gain the strength and magic of the dragon they consume. In this case the only fossils left would be the ones of the last and therefore most powerful dragon.
    I believe the leftover dinosaur view is the closest: some say there are still dinos in remote parts of Africa, these stories were the basis for the (in my opinion bad) movie "Baby".
    In one story of Saint George and the Dragon I read the dragons breath was a "poisonous vapor" which to me sounds like the highly infectios bite of the komodo dragon.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  9. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    yes, the komodo dragons saliva is so full of bacteria a bite from it is as deadly as poison, in fact, the bite would become so infected, it would begin to rot swell and you would feel a 'burning' sensation, a firey bite you could say, just a possible heresay adaptaion into breathing fire.

10. 6316

6316 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

There is now solid evidence that dragons did in fact exist.

It has recebtly being discovered a "baby" dragon skeleton preserved perfectly because it was frozen, discovered in the romanian mountains. Its mother dragon was also located next to it. The baby dragon was massive, but not yet independant, and when i say massive i mean massive - bigger then a T-rex. Yes do they have wings and yes they could breathe fire. They could only breath fire, however, because they ate flint.
    Anyway! When the meteor came and wiped out Dinosaurs as we know, Dragons went for the oceans. It has also been discovered that they are the same as crocodiles.....just with wings i guess. It is believed that they then came back out but all evolved differently. Forest dragons, mountain dragons and water dragons. (Some people are now saying the loc ness monster may well be a water dragon). The mountain dragons found in the romanian mountains were slain by man! There is male skeletons with proff of burnt bone, and speer heads found in the dragons hearts. Dragons were supposedly one the brink of extinction anyway, man just finished them off...despite the fact that they only ate sheep etc. (proven also).
    Imagine that, a baby dragon bigger then a t-rex. Scary.

All the above was recently documented on the television.
    The skeletons have not yet been claimed by hand, so get to the romanian mountains now! lol

Thats all i can say for now, we'll be heading back up again soon!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cjg

Cjg New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Originally Posted by Gûd Daedheloth
    Do you think they did?

I think there has to be some basis for the cave drawings and legends found in almost EVERY culture around the world. So yes, I do believe that at some time there were dragons, or at least something very close to what we now consider dragons.

Yeah, they're called DINOSAURS..... Here's my theory:

One day a knight was riding along on his horse and sees something strange. He goes for a closer look. "WOW!!! The bones of a monsterous beast", he thinks. "HHmmm.. If I tell a tale of slaying this beast I shall become mighty popular." He goes to the local village and tells his tale of slaying a beast more fierce then anyone could imagine. And...thus the legend of knights slaying dragons was born. :duh:

12. Rhetoric

Rhetoric New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This was a show called "Dragons: A Fantasy Made Real" on Animal Planet that's been playing recently. It is a fictional film created by Animal Planet that's got great CGI that talks about how dragons could have existed, how they may have mated, how they could have breathed fire, how they could have survived the meteor, etc.

It is playing again on Sat, Mar, 26, 2005 @ 8pm I think if anyone wants to watch. It's like an hour and a half followed by a half hour segment of 'making the movie.' It's made by the same animators that did the "Walking with Dinosaurs" special.

Just didn't want anyone to get there hopes up about this. I want to believe that dragons existed as much as the next guy, but this show is pure fiction. Though it IS extremely interesting so you should tune it.

Check out: http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/dragons/index.html for info about the show or just go to www.animalplanet.com and they have a link to the site.

13. FireSnake

FireSnake Bhaal Spawn

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Well not all cultures had the slaying of it some stories were just of great beasts I would reckon.I would say yes they might have existed but not a likely chance.For all we know they could be able to shapeshift or such or are just very well hidden.

14. OrcShaman

OrcShaman Star Trek addict

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    If i think that dragons really exist?

What can't be denied is that they exist since ancient times (remember, for instance, the mesopotamian sirush, or the giant snake Tiamat ).In greek mythology the symbol of wisdom is a snake (can't remember the name though). In orthodox iconography, Saint George is depicted slaying a dragon; european medieval is full of storyes about knights slaying dragons. In Asian folklore, dragons are symbols of wisdom and fortune.

What i'm trying to say is that yes, dragons existed and still do, but only in our imagination.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  15. SEVENWOLVES

SEVENWOLVES GET READY FOR PUNISHMENT

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    dragons have existed, dinosaurs also existed, and crocs are also living very long, its not a fable(i think!)

16. CanadianRCist

CanadianRCist Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i wish i had one of my own...... i believe they existed

17. drits

drits New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    dragons did for sure existed in iceland in a cave they found two dragon corpses one had a sword embeded in its breast and dragons could breath fire they had methane glands and there heated brath lit it on fire. :devilbat: :devilbat:

18. adamkyran

adamkyran Mako Addicted 4 Life

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I believe that dragons existed. In fact ive been doing a research paper on if they existed or not and it has some pretty good stuff on it. it hate school work. anyway.... about the whole fire breathing thingy maybe they had a certian kind of bone that when it rubbed together it made sparks and when they let out some sort of gas it sparked and spewed out fire? or maybe it was just a gas that combusted (if thats a word) with the air and kaboom.fire. i don't know im not a chemistery person.

19. Sanna

Sanna Sandra, oblivion knight

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if dragons existed, why did they die in that case?

20. World builder 316

World builder 316 Ceasar of the Hobos

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I heard one theory that ancients found the skelatal remains of dinosaurs, and, not having the knowledge to put them together properly, made up a creature that it could have been.

Search tags for this page

did dragons really exist in midieval times