Did Dragons Really Exist?

Discussion in 'Medieval Boards' started by Gûd Daedheloth, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Omega3R

Omega3R Mi ne sijemo.

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    i saw a documentary once, and it said that there were extremely big lizards, some dinosaur-relatives, that survived a bit longer. they had a rotten digestion that produced a lot of metane and other gasses that are easy to ignite by themselves. so, every time they burped, they threw up fire. but they are extinct now.

2. The Empress

The Empress Solitude and Strength...

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    That is a sweet bit of information I did not know...I agree that there were some pretty big lizards out there, but not dragons at least in the way Raymond E. Fiest would have described them...in our world anyway.

3. Entreri

Entreri New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Not a chance did they exist! Dinasaurs that looked like what we think dragons are existed but never dragons!

4. Troubadour

Troubadour New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Dragons exist... here, there, and everywhere! :)
    Look inside... look at the stars... look at Power...

Let me just say that I've seen Dragons...

After you delve into the realm of intuition and start believing... you'll know what I mean.

Unless you're an empericist; for if you really are one, then don't bother.
    Because reason will get you no where...

- Troubadour

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  5. OrcShaman

OrcShaman Star Trek addict

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Holy LSD, Batman! (j/k :D)

6. drylaustin

drylaustin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah they might have been real. the chinese calendar has 12 different animals, but one is a dragon . it might have been real in that time. the whole world before had all kinds of dragons, all races all country had their dragons. so this is just a theory to myself maybe the dinosaurs were the ones that they called dragons. we can;t tell what their skin looked like just because of their bones. but none of these matters. the ones that is disturbing is, did they breathe fire. maybe some of them did.:confused: i dunno?? but think that "dinos or dragons were still alive* but snakes weren't. if we find drawings of cobras today, *wow did they really spit poison? we would think that. just the same way as *did they spit fire? haha :devilbat: weird brain of mine

7. Thanatos

Thanatos Lord of Death

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I won't say yes or no, simply this. If we look at for instance Halloween, we can trace it's roots back to a Celtic Pagan harvest festival. Even though it has morphed and changed, it still survives no only in the culture of Great Britain, but all over the world. Another example: a tradition came from St. Valentine, a Catholic saint.. but Valentine's day (only loosely based on St. Valentine however) is celebrated all over the world, even in Japan, where 99% of the culture is Shinto or Buddhist. Giving someone "the finger" is derived from Englishmen warning French longbowmen they might lose their fingers, but today, it carries a far different meaning.

So the point here is, traditions, customs, behaviors, and thus also stories and myths, are passed down from culture to culture, age to age, and although they are altered by the passage of time, they remain still. In this way, could not have myths or in the same way even true stories have been transferred about the globe? And if it is true that the first written account of dragons is from Mesopotamia, how long were they present in oral tradition? Also, the known world at that time was much smaller, making transfer of cultures and cultural fusion much simpler. While this may potentially squash the idea that since dragons exist in many cultures, they must be real, it shows how, that if dragons were indeed real, they could have easily been "given" to many cultures.

8. Omega3R

Omega3R Mi ne sijemo.

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    wasn't it that the english mocked the french, because the french used to cut english fingers off, disabling the english to use bow and arrow? so, they showed them: "haha i have my fingers, you'll die, you french bastard!"

9. catrinis

catrinis Gone with the wind

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What I do think concerning dragons' existence, is that large lizards (as the varan still is, e.g.) existed during Middle Age as well, and way before (not talking about dinosaurs here, please!). And, usually, people were (and still are) afraid of what they could not explain, of the unknown. So you can imagine that they liked to invent all sort of stories about those creatures, considering the fact that they loathed and feared them.

10. Thanatos

Thanatos Lord of Death

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I believe you are right Omega 3R, good catch...thats my bad on misinfo..

But you get the idea.

11. whitetrash

whitetrash Trailerpark Pimp

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Man I think they did , long time ago not the flying breathing Dragons of fantasy books but the kammotot dragon been here for ever ,and its bite rots your skin and they are know to steal week and lil kids from time to time maybe they were bigger back in the day and the camp fire stories just got bigger and better over the telling of them.

12. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think we need to define what a dragon is before we can say if it ever existed.

13. Flame

Flame New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I saw a documentary on Discovery about Dragons, they said they found a frozen dragon on some icy mountain.

When the question comes to me, i think dragons really did exist...

14. Kenshin

Kenshin Drifter

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -0
    oh wow! i didnt know that. thats prety awesome. that also sounds plausible.

15. Blood Battosai

Blood Battosai Death Become of you

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    PROOF OF DRAGONS IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE OR DON'T WANT TO DO NOT LOOK BELOW!!!!

Dragons are a common legend among Europeans and Chinese these two cultures had absolutely no contact between them now we get scientific if you don't get it look it up

if you believe evolution then of course life started off as primordial soup (DNA strands trapped in the sea when there was no land on earth) then lightening strikes begin to transform that DNA into living cells and thus life was born now dragons started off as simple lizards as did dinosaurs and began to evolve as dinosaurs went to land the dragons stayed at sea awhile longer and some species stayed permanently thus giving us the Sea Serpent which is recognized as a type of dragon now early dragons of the land started off as raptor looking things with the ability to fly and breathe fire now fire was possible because of the dragons consumption of platinum which combined with the hydrogen released by digesting foods could be ignited As for flight some of food they digested and the gasses produced some went into a set of false lungs which acted as flight bladders much like birds of today which lightened the substantial loads of their bodies now back to proof of dragons, the raptor/dragons lived until the carboniferous period where oxygen was 300% as potent as it is today thus they could grow bigger now we skip ahead into the human era in modern day china now how do you suppose humans got fire...they saw dragons using it in their bamboo forests and stole it (when a dragon accidentally lit a bamboo stalk on fire they put a stick to it and obtained fire) now dragons of the serpent form came recently form the sea and their slender form was already well adapted to moving quickly through tight spaces now dragons in the west were forced back by the rapid human expansion and exploration they fled because their numbers were dwindling and they recognized the humans as a threat so the dragons fled to the swiss alps where they were forced to scavenge livestock for food thus angering the humans and the humans hunted and killed the dragons similar events happened in the east but what of the sea dragons that we don't know there still might be more down there in the deepest parts of the sea which we haven't explored

This has been proof of dragons with Blood Battosai

16. Kenshin

Kenshin Drifter

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -0
    sorry, i fell asleep at primordial soup :D

17. Blood Battosai

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    well next time try reading it while drinking some coffee

18. Blood Battosai

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I just realized this but this thread is about a year old :duh:

19. A Soul So Dark

A Soul So Dark Advocatus Diaboli

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    No. I'll respond to this thread despite the fact that you're probably long gone; the basic premise is so off-kilter it deserves some kind of comeback. Humans existed far after dinosaurs shuffled off this mortal coil. Paintings are not proof of anything, unless one thinks Boris Vallejo is some kind of visionary. Fantasy is exactly that: fantasy. It has no bearing on reality. I'd love to live in a world where dragons existed, but wish-fullfulment is just another form of self-delusion. There are no dragons, no knights in shining armour: there's just us. Sad but true. If you want to feel a sense of wonder, wander out in a field on a clear night and stare up at the sky. There are plenty of wonders in the universe to keep you entertained. Compared to those dragons are rather small beer.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  20. Blitz_Emmerich

Blitz_Emmerich New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dragons have been in the art and culture or civilizations around the world almost since the very beginning. so, yes, they do exist, if only in our hearts.

Or to be more frank, Long answer: yes Short answer: no

Search tags for this page

did dragons really exist in midieval times