Did Dragons Really Exist?

Discussion in 'Medieval Boards' started by Gûd Daedheloth, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Do you think they did?

I think there has to be some basis for the cave drawings and legends found in almost EVERY culture around the world. So yes, I do believe that at some time there were dragons, or at least something very close to what we now consider dragons.

2. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    That question always brings up some theries, etc and none proven nor diproven. Who knows. I do suppose that maybe there could have been or maybe it was just prisoners drawing on the walls out of boredom, etc. You make your own conclusions.

3. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I say there were Dragons. Heck, look at Dinosaurs. Most of those could easily come out of a fantasy tale.

4. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I read in the encyclopedia that dragons first appeared in literature around 2000 B.C. in Mesopotamia. They were supposedly very much like crocodiles. So I suppose it was a leftover myth thingy about dinosaurs.

5. flammable

flammable The Ghost

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    well it depends what you consider to be dragons, for the same name usually means rather different creatures at least in folklore.

Mostly dragons in European folklore are pictured just as big snakes or reptiles + fire breathing. Also there is not so many tales about dragons actually - giants, fairies, trolls and other numerous mythology creatures are way more popular. It could be that dragons appeared in folklore from church tradition, also from early medeval literature.

6. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    there really are dragons around today, they are lizard like though and they are only at certain places, can't remember. Though if you ever saw Reign of Fire, it can give good ideas, and seems as though it could happen

7. Gûd Daedheloth

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Awful, awful movie. But I still enjoy it, and the video game. Amazing dragon CGI.

8. flammable

flammable The Ghost

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    lol yeah, awfull movie but nice computer graphics :D

9. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    reign of fire wasnt too bad, the dragons were good though.

i think there were dragons around at some point, there are so many legends in europe and asia, what are they based on? lizards, people in europe and so on have only snakes and small lizards, you cant get dragons from that. or what about dinosaurs?, i dont think archeology was that advanced in medieval times for them to even know about dinosaurs.

so they must have existed at some point, maybe different to how we think of them today, but they must have been there.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2003
  10. Arin

Arin I bite back....

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I didn't like that movie. The only cool part was the dragons.....and they made them to evil. :rolleyes: Anyhow, I do not belive there where ever any fire breathing dragons. I do belive there where creatures that looked alot like dragons though. Those of you who have read the bible (all of it) will note that there a several mentions of dragons in it. (or creatures very much like them)

11. flammable

flammable The Ghost

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    well I don't think that the fact that we have tales about dragons actually means that dragons really existed. Try to think simple - you are ordinary village man and want to tell story about some scary creature and how it was defeated. For example you chose snake (because snake bite is poisonous and deadly, also because of Bible tradition snake is symbol of evil). What you would add to make that creature more scary? Perhaps say that it was big. Maybe that it could fly? Also can spit fire? (fires was real disaster then)

12. thehobbitelf

thehobbitelf Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I do think that tehre were dragons, they probably evolved from pterodactyls or somthing... ppl were just so against anything out odf the ordinary back then... :rolleyes:

13. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I believe that what we call dragons were large flying dinosaurs that managed to survive the meteor that killed the rest, look at the loch ness monster, thats probably a surviving aquatic dinosaur. If they really existed i dont think they breathed fire, they were probably just attracted to burning things by the smell of smoke and burning flesh, and they were blamed as the cause, the creatures were likely to be scavengers rather than outright people hunters, eating cattle, and dead people.
    and in realism they probably only wer about as big as a lion or a shark (not counting wing span).

Plus some people ask about fossils, why are there no dragon fossils?, well if the creature survived till medeival times, any fossils before would be counted as dinosaurs, and there arent really the right conditions for fossils anymore, the corpse of a modern dragon would rot or be eaten, if killed by people the carcass would probably be treated as something evil and gotten rid of quickly, tossing it in a river so it would go far far away.

I think it is very possible for them to have existed.

14. Gûd Daedheloth

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Why do people think they couldn't breathe fire? I mean, there's a beetle that lives in S. America right now that can breathe fire.

15. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    seriously!?, anyway, i only said that they probably didnt because the glands required and so on, are very advanced evolutionary traits that i doubt could come about by medieval times,

p.s. could you post some kind of picture or something of that beetle, please.

16. Gûd Daedheloth

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, that beetle info came from a discussion I had a while back with my friend, whose brother did a huge report on dragons. So, no, I don't have any more info I can post, but I'm sure it's reliable.

17. Arin

Arin I bite back....

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    wow. I didn't know about the beetle. Thats really interesting. I didn't think it was physically possible. Actually though, if you caught that one part in Reign of Fire, where they explain about that glands in the back of the throat where two flammable chemicals shoot from (they're flammable on contact with eachother) It's not really fake sounding or anything.

If all of that made ANY sense to anyone...:rolleyes:

18. Gûd Daedheloth

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Pefect sense, actually. I've seen that movie WAAAAAAAY too many times. :)
    "Two glands in the back of the throat secrete seperate chemicals." "Combined in exhalation, nitro-napalm." :D

19. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    that really annoyed me, it made sense and all, but some CG guy was a bit confused.

When you see the dragons in reign of fire breath the flames, you see two jets of fire coming together from both sides of the mouth. If the explaination were genuine, then the fire shouldnt start till the two come together?

20. waenlotien

waenlotien Healer/ Magicuser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i think the idea of "fire" breathing dragons came form something different. NOt "fire" as in flames, but a secretion. That when it touched the skin, it burned you like "fire". I would like to believe that dragons truely roamed the earth, but I doubt they did.

Search tags for this page

did dragons really exist in midieval times