Did Atlantis exist?

Discussion in 'Medieval Boards' started by Storm Eagle, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Master of the Ninja Guild

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I personally think it did, but wasn't so mystical as we all seem it to be. This is open for discussion, though.

2. Kakashi

Kakashi Call me Deacon Blues

Ratings:
    +738 / 7 / -2
    Sorry to rain on your parade, but i dont think so. SUre i belive in other things but this is not one of them.

3. Thrawn Von Sithius

Thrawn Von Sithius No longer a Newt

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I do think Atlantis did exist however, I do not believe in all of the stuff about the aliens and junk. However it is perfectly reasonable for a city/island to be destroyed by a natural disaster and washed away by the sea.

4. DazaRulz

DazaRulz The Aussie Soccer Team

Mirkwood, helping Gil-Galad_360 protect Middle-Ear
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yeah, i agree with him.

I reackon it was some sort of human race, like us, but more advanced(i.e. thay could use their mind to elevate things or read minds).

5. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +199 / 1 / -0
    What is your take on it then? Where do you think it was? Where do you think the mythical side of thigns came from?

6. Tamzen

Tamzen New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Do you mean Plato's Atlantis? Atlantika? Very likely since evidence points to the island of Thera which exploded and wiped out the Minoan civilization. Atlantis with crystals and powers and stuff. No.

7. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +738 / 7 / -2
    Looks like im outnumbered... but i COULD happen but weres any evidence or anything...? But then again were is the evidence for anything that we belive in?

8. Thrawn Von Sithius

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think it most likely existed some where in the mediteranian.

9. celtic_wisdom

celtic_wisdom New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so why do you believe it?

I think that the existence of an isolated land, where the development of civilization was more advanced than in the rest of the world, is possible. but not that mytical stuff with gods destroying it because they were angry and so on. and, if it did existed, it should have been in the middle of the atlantic ocean, i guess

10. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +738 / 7 / -2
    ? what do you mean by that?

11. Thrawn Von Sithius

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think you could be right about it being in the Atlantic, because Plato (I think it was Plato) says it was beyond the Pillars of Hercules (which is the Straits of Gibraltar). However I don't think it could be too far our because once again according to Plato, the Athenians waged war against them.

12. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I believe the phrase we can apply here is..

I think, therefore I am

13. celtic_wisdom

celtic_wisdom New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what do I mean by what? Asking why you believe it? it's because you said: "but then again where is the evidence for anything that we believe in?" and I asked that if there is no evidence for the things that you believe in, then why do you believe in them? and if you believe in things that aren't proved, so why not to believe in Atlantis?

14. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Master of the Ninja Guild

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    All very good points, but they have founds ruins of a civilization in the Carribean that is under the sea(They think the sea leverl eventually rose too high or some big wave hit it), and they found ships that, during the carbon dated time, were nearly impossible to build.

Also, they have found a pyramid off the coast of Japan, but it is so perfect that they couldn't build that during acient times, and no record of it was found in any buildning databases of the Japanese, which were open for the divers once they found the monolith.

Here is a question that many of you might not even know what I am talking about. If not, I will post a link to wikipedia's page on them: Do you think the crystal skulls hold magical powers?

Here is the link, but they don't describe it as best as I wanted them too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_skull

The crystal skulls are believed to have magical powers, and if all thirteen are to be found and placed in the same place as the others, something magical will hapen. The reason why these skulls are so magical is that they have only one flaw that amkes them not a perfectly round and perfectly shaped skull: A small indent on the head. The scientists date them back to 1 million years, but by doing this crystal work by hand, it would take more than 5 billion years, passing down from generation to generation to make these complete.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  15. The Empress

The Empress Solitude and Strength...

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Ooooh, I love Atlantis! There are several shows that I have watched in dealing with the subject on the Discovery Channel. I go with the theory that it was very much a thriving and real city much like Pompei, the Roman city that was destroyed in one day by a volcano. There is evidence of "Atlantis" if that was it's real name on the sea bed in the Meditteranean, it appears there was a huge volcanic eurption and a great earthquake and it thus...dissappeared. This is my belief of what happened and I would so love to go and see it myself! :)

16. Selena Sycorax

Selena Sycorax Queen of the Nosferatau

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I too believe that Atlantis once excisted. But I don't link it with the acient Greeks (Plato). If I look to Atliantis, I look to the acient Egyptians and to the Maya's. Strange combination, you think? Not really. How do you explain that on two sides of the world an empire rises, build piramides and observes the star so precisely? Both culture prove they are much older than we think. And there mathematical knowledge is much bigger than we know.
    I can give lmuch more information about this subject if I want and I can tell you much more. But there is another thing I want to share with you. I don't believe Atlantis was in the mediteranian or the Atlantic or the Caribean. I think it was somewhere around, what we know for the moment as Antarctica. Remember that this continent once lied on the equator.
    This is just what I think about it.

17. Anakin

Anakin God Emperor

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,158 / 5 / -0
    Actually the theory is based on an island that dissapeared by a volcano so I've heard...I'lll have to check it again, but there was no such thing as Atlantis...that island had another name and that is where the legend is based on. Padmé knows more about this.

18. Selena Sycorax

Selena Sycorax Queen of the Nosferatau

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    According to the Egyptian legend is was called Aha-Men-Ptah. This would become Atlantis under the Greeks. It has much to do with astronomy and astrologie. It's little hard to explain in a few words.

19. Árëlin Milloway

Árëlin Milloway Toast Tiger

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I agree with you! I seems like the most logical thing that might have happened ;P :draught:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Thorin

Thorin Avatar of Darkness

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I think the main thing that we can take from Plato, is that something did exist. He would not have bothered mentioning it had it not existed. Whether or not it was an island, we don't know. It may just have been a small tribe of people that seemed advanced to others. There are far to many unknowns in this equation.

We also have to consider that much of the population could not write and therefor most stories we're passed down from generation to generation. Plato did not witness this. I believe that he was told through various people about this... perhaps through legends and stories. I am sure that you are all aware of the game telephone... it's quite possible that the story simply changed by the time Plato recieved it and recorded it.

So really... I think that it, whatever it was, did exist. There is some truth behind the story and there is probably some myth as well. There is evidence for the volcano that did destroy the islands in the Aegean Sea but there is no other proof of any civilization.

Personally... I like to think of Atlantis as something that we know exists, but we will never find. Like many other lost treasures that have disappeared over the ages. It inspires us to write stories and make tv shows.... like Star Gate :) Great twist to the story by the way.

Thats my take on it.

Cheers!