Did anyone else think that Episode was less Epic than the others?

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Lainovion, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Lainovion

Lainovion Royal Guard of Gil-Galad

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is it just me, or does it seem that Episode II was less Epic than all of th eother Star Wars ? Comparing it ot the latest release (Ep. I), it just seemed liked it was less enthralling. When it was advertised for purchase on VHS, and DVD they displayed a corny commerical showing Yoda, with the slogan being used "Yoda Man". To see Star Wars advertised like this, just didnt mix with me. Anyone else have the same feelings ?

2. Aemon Targaryen

Aemon Targaryen New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I agree, but i believe eps 1 + 2 are less epic, the film company is trying to appeal to a broader audience. It seems I always post thing like this, but Lucas is just wanting more money. The first Star War's had a lot of merchandise but not as much as the new films are gtting.

3. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You got to remember these new movies are made for kids. Sure they aren't nearly as good as the original series but they are Star Wars. The second movie had to be a romance and there are worse romance movies out there.

4. Draven_of_the_Shire

Draven_of_the_Shire Defender of the West

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I'm afraid our fond memories of Star Wars movies being classic epics may have to remain memories. Hopefully Episode III will redeem the series... if not, we always have IV - VI to look back at!

5. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Not to get all philosophical here, but I think that a good deal of the deification of the original Star Wars releases has to do with our own maturity and the technology when it first came out.

I was 10 when the first movie came out, saw it at the drive-in theater, which meant that in the summer you had to wait until 11 PM before the movie even started. My parents had to wake me back up for when the movie started. It was more incredible than anything that I had ever seen.

When the Empire Strikes Back came out, I saw it in the first theater in our city that had Dolby Surround (or whatever it was called back then) and I literally ducked the first time that the snow speeders went overhead because it sounded like they were right on top of you.

Remember Battlestar Galactica? At the time it was cutting edge. Now it's corny and cheesy.

Face it, in this day and age of computer games and reality tv, it takes a lot more to impress us now...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2004
  6. Dalleron

Dalleron New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    True that, Sky. My problem with episode 1 and 2 is that they are all CG stuff. And it looks like it's all CG too boot. I know that there is a lot of cg in LOTR, but it's done way better and not nearly as noticeable. And for me personally, i know where it has to go, so there is nothing really to be wowed by or be surprised by. I mean what can happen in ep. 3 to mix stuff up. We all know Anakin goes bad, a bunch of Jedi die, and the kids are born. What else can happen?

7. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    A giant war with lots of cool fight scene!

Another reason the old Star Wars are so much better is because they were the beginning of it all. When something comes out and it is fresh and new idea people like it. But when you go and do the same thing a few years later it doesn't have the same punch as when it was fresh. Take a look at Matrix, people say it is suffering from Star Wars syndrom. Thats because the Matrix was this cool new idea and everyone was wowed by it but when the made more movies to go with it, people were use to the Matrix, it was old news, nothing new and spiffy

8. Draven_of_the_Shire

Draven_of_the_Shire Defender of the West

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with ya Sky... I first saw A new Hope at my cousins house when I was like 8 or 9.... but I can still go back and watch the old ones any day of the week and enjoy them... They are just classic. But I do agree your whole maturity theory... good point...

I ALSO agree with Dalleron whole heartidly... George Lucas has gone whacky with special effects in the latest installments. The old movies used mostly real props, miniatures, and green screen. The new ones are FAR FAR FAR too much GCI to even make it look believeable... He could have made these new ones with the same technology he used 20 years ago and I think I actually would have enjoyed them more. The just have more of a real feeling to them. In LOTR for example, PJ uses the effects shots to enhance what is onscreen, he doesn't depend on the special effects for 95% of what is onscreen which is what it seems Lucas has done recently.

9. Lainovion

Lainovion Royal Guard of Gil-Galad

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It seems we all feel the same. Good points made all around.