Devon the Meta-Human

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Acerbus09, May 27, 2008.

1. Acerbus09

Acerbus09 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I do warn you that much of it is sketchy. I'm working on a Science Fiction/Fantasy crossover story, and this is just an experiment in the world of Anesilar. It's very sketchy, and I have a lot of touch ups. just want to get some opinions.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Devon Terai Cilicis looked up into the dark void of the diveum above her. A single, small orb of water fell and ran down her right temple. Silently, the droplet dissipated, sifting through the near invisible pores in her skin. Her eyes sparked aglow with rippling light, but only for a moment, before she shut her eyes. Pulling the hood of her cloak closer over her head, she pressed on. She had to fight it. The bonding had only been a few hours before, but she was already beginning to feel the effects. It was starting to weigh her down.
    As she walked down the steps of the exit ramp, the drops of rain became more frequent. Glancing to her side, Devon read the bold letters on the side of the carrier she was now exiting. They were faded and written in Graevich, which she neither spoke nor read. But, a fellow passenger on the freighter had translated it for her. Now looking it at again she said the word aloud, but quietly, “Bellafortis.” It meant “brave beauty.” Looking the old ship over, Devon saw nothing beautiful in it. The vessel was probably at least forty years old and had countless dents and scratches and mismatched parts. The intharsys generates weren’t even of the same model as the rest of the ship.
    Devon had made it a point in her life to avoid windships. No matter the metaphysical properties involved in propelling air mediums through the sky, they were still machine and all machinery fails at one point in time or another. For fear of that point in time, Devon would not risk the air lanes, unless she had no other choice, such as it was now.
    If Devon had had a choice, she would have most definitely chosen hippogryph or she might have even taken the aquiscende. But the stables had been cleared out after the outbreak, and her contact with home was a bit lacking in pleasantness and just communication in general. The aquiscende had been shut down due to the outbreak as well. The only long distance traveling means were windships: sky chariots of death.
    The rain was falling hard now and the landing dock had no coverage. Pulling her hood over her dark hair, she dashed for the customs booth. When she arrived her belongings were being readied to be scanned. Devon stared at the scanning orb that was hovering over the conveyor belt all the luggage was being loaded unto. A large cargo bin came into view. It was black with red Ignithyan caution signs printed on all sides. Devon’s eyes began to ripple as light filled her retinas. She couldn’t let that cargo bin be scanned.
    She did not know for sure if she would be able to do what she was thinking. She knew that her body was able; it was a matter of faith and willpower. She knew full well the risk she would be taking, making such a move in a public place. But she didn’t care. She needed that cargo. It carried her life. With out a lot of thinking, Devon sprung.
    She soared through the air as the heavy rain pierced her skin. Eyes emitting light profusely, her skin pulled in the water as it came, fueling her energy. Fire and water pulsed through her veins. Although it was raining, flames sprung from her finger tips as she collided with the hovering orb. The scanning mechanism began to gyrate and shriek. Devon pressed her hand against the sphere as fire raged from within her, melting the side of the flying apparatus. The smoldering machine fell to the ground, and Devon went down with it.
    The conveyor belt had stopped, and the operators were running towards the blazing crash site. Devon threw aside the melted contraption and dashed towards the halted conveyor belt. The cargo bin was not large nor was it heavy; it was more medium in both areas. But, it was still somewhat awkward to carry by hand. Unfortunately, Devon had no other option. With the operators directly behind her, weapons charging, the small, nimble girl leapt across the metalline deck and unto the conveyor belt. Barely taking time to regain her balance, she grabbed hold of the case, and dashed down to the deck once more. A wave of energy tore past her head.
    “Stop, Meta!”
    Meta.
    Devon closed her open hand and flexed. Fire erupted from within her clenched fist as she turned her torso halfway around. With a blast of heat, she discharged a raging fire ball. She did not watch to see what happened, but she knew from the screams that she had met her target. Focusing her energy, she took three long strides, launching herself into the air on the last step. The shockwave created by her launch, threw back the still standing belt operator, sending his weapon out of his hands, in pieces.
    The rain had not let up. It was growing harder and harder to absorb the drops as they fell. Devon soared higher and higher into the night sky. She had never flown before, not by herself like this. But, it felt normal. It felt right. She had been told it would happen. She had been told what she would feel. It was exhilarating, but not in the sense of a first time occurrence; more like, tasting honey for the first time in a four di-lunar passings. This is where she was always meant to be.
    But until the bonding sealed she couldn’t fly on her own.
    She still needed the rain.

Lumen woke up with a start. She had done it again.
    Throwing off the covers the young, dark haired man stepped out of bed and walked straight to the wall and spoke,
    “Incas, open the speak-wave.”
    <Alright---Speak-wave active->

Lumen ive Acerbus had been reading transcripts from the interstellar communications receiver. Many of them were religious in nature, partly due to the bio-wars taking place on the third planet from Phoebus, the golden star of the Starksin Galaxy. Zealots of every faith and cult raved with their scriptures, sending them on all and every frequency. The stellar receiver took the stray signals and converted them, providing a way of learning about other planets in the galaxy and the people on them. The third planet in Phoebus’ orbit was only the third planet in the entire galaxy that has been found to support life, not including Lumen’s home world of Anesilar.
    For his weekly reading, Lumen had chosen passages from a book, the history of which set it up to be the spiritual manual for a certain religious sect. This is what began Lumen’s interest in this particular ancient, otherworldly tome. Most of the gods of Anesilar were limited to control and dominion over a single sensation, constituent, or axiom. Some are more empowered, possessing control of several elements, states of being, or forces. One such god was called Omnimodus and was revered above all others, not for his destructive power and might, but for being the only benevolent god. He was not a cavalier, uncaring deity, taking vile pleasures in the sacrifices and rituals of zealots and whores. In the ancient manuscripts and files, it clearly reads that he is powerful and jealous, but in a blameless way.
    References were made all throughout the other world’s “manual” to a god called Elohim, whose traits and principles were near identical to those of Omnimodus. To find a deity of another world, one virtually unexplored, to be in tune with the most exalted deity of his world, showed Lumen that Omnimodus’ power could be much more extensive then he had first thought.
    In a passage of the converted book, a section called Experitus, it reads: << Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of discipline will remove it far from him. >> Lumen had remembered that passage well, and was now for sure a firm believer in it.

The signal mark on the visi tab in front of him flashed blue, signifying an open channel. Lumen released the apparatus from his docking port, allowing it to hover ahead of him.
    “Hello?” the voice came from the other side of the link, “who is this?”
    “Terai! Thank H’kara, its Lumen. Where in the mesih are you?”
    The blue light turned neutral, and the channel closed. If it didn’t work the first time it wouldn’t work again.
    “Incas, can you trace her signal.”
    <Of course Master Acerbus>
    “Do it.”
    Lumen opened another channel this time to the hanger. After typing in his security code he received confirmation that this Impatharys glider was on its way up to his balcony. Opening his garment chest he pulled out a single change of clothes and stuffed them in a leather bag. Deactivating the apparatus as he pulled on a long backed coat, Lumen then opened the metalline door to his condo. Outside his door, hovering just to the side of the balcony’s end was his hover craft. The three fold top slid apart and Lumen jumped from the last step down into the pilot chair. The hatch closed and locked in place. Lumen inserted the apparatus to a docking port in the right console of the vehicle. With the coordinates uploaded and still tracking, Lumen took off into the night.

Devon didn’t hate her cousin. She actually liked him quite a bit. But she didn’t have the time to listen to him tear her down for what she did, even if it was wrong and punishable by death. She was just incredibly surprised she had pulled it off. She had tried so many times before each and every time coming back empty handed, except for a new mark on her record. It began with only wanting to touch it, to be able to say to her friends that she had touched the Nofarian Hinora. It was just a giant rock, very beautiful, but still a rock. Devon did not see a reason why she shouldn’t be allowed to touch it.
    Finally, one day after so many failed attempts, she sprinted down the main hall of the museum, doing her best to dodge the people and pointless exhibits in her way. When she came into view of the pedestal that the Hinora sat upon, she pressed forward, moving faster. Security guards began running towards her, but it was too late. She launched herself towards the great rock, making contact and taking the multi-colored stone with her. That’s when the stone shattered.

The dark alley was barely illuminated by two floating soer lamps. She was walking down past the dilapidated buildings, counting numbers on the sides. She had to find apartment 15-Atal. She was about to pass 23-Atal-9, when she heard the familiar whir of a Devu 78 double coil intharsys engine with triple spiraling. She was fast, but not fast enough to out run that. So she kept on walking, counting buildings.
    “You know,” the driver of the Devu said, which was now hovering along side Devon, “I’m truly surprised you got this far by yourself, considering your fear of flying things.”
    “I’m not afraid of flying things, Acerbus, and you know it…I just don’t care for flying machines…I don’t care for them a lot.”

“Are you going to get in, Terai?”
    “If you have to say my name in public, you can call me Devon.”
    Lumen smirked, “I wouldn’t exactly call this public. We’re the only ones in the street, Terai.”
    “Well still, call me Devon. Besides… I don’t know who could be watching.”
    “C’mon, little cousin, since when have you been so skittish?”
    “Since I broke the Nofarian Hinora and released the essence of a long dead dragon which knitted itself to my soul, which made the monks incomprehensibly angry who put a warrant out for my arrest. They don’t care if I’m dead or alive on this one.”
    Lumen blinked. He blinked again.
    “Couldn’t it be like last time where I come and bail you out and drive you to my place until the aquiscende comes to take you back to Nasiphym?”
    Devon fought back a smile. “Not this, cousin. Not this time.”

“Get in here, and fill me in.”

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dragn9

Dragn9 Sorcerer Supreme

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0
    I have to say that was very good. I like the concept, it's really creative and I think what you have so far is very well written. The characters appear to be very thought out and seem as though they can be explained in a lot of depth. The whole writing style is awesome, it flowed extremely well and I think you've got a good idea here.

Even though there are some terms (names of engines and what not) that are made up and have not yet been explained, it was not confusing at all. From what I've read so far, you've got a knack of describing things to the point where the reader is able to visualize what is happening.

Good start, I look forward to reading more of this.

3. Acerbus09

Acerbus09 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks,
    I've never really, truly posted anything this long, so hearing that from you is major encouragement. Thanks a ton, and I'll try to have more up as soon as I can. I'm thinking of just posting a plotting of the world I'm trying to create (which is actually in the same galaxy as us, but hidden by metaphysical properties and magick... writing is fun.
    and about the unexplained machinery, in time it will be explained.

thanks again!

4. BBallForLife

BBallForLife New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I'm not a big fan of sci-fi, but I really enjoy this story.