deserts

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by steelpounder, Jan 6, 2011.

1. steelpounder

steelpounder New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have been toying with an idea; if you were to build desalination plants along the coasts of as many countries as you could and pump the water into the deserts. Just pour the water at the edge and let nature take its course. I realize that adding the water is NOT natural but I mean beyond that point. Nature shows say that rain forests generate 90% of there own rain.
    I realize that in some areas the pipelines would be rather long but there are some long pipelines in the world
    I believe as time went on the water would flow farther out into the desert as more plants, shade, organic matter ect. would hold and eventually generate more moisture like a rain forest.
    I know some people will say it's not right to destroy the desert but I see this as building more productive land. Not for people or at least not JUST for people but animals as well.
    Also as an experiment in terra forming.

2. steelpounder

steelpounder New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think maybe this could be accomplished with solar evaporators and maybe gravity feed water flow.
    But I would welcome any ideas or opinions on this; how best to do it, why it might be good or bad, if it should be attempted or not.
    Also what advantages/disadvantages it might have besides any I might have sited.
    P.S. I think you could sell the sea salt to help with expenses.

3. bloodfiredeath

bloodfiredeath Die by the Sword

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    From what I have seen/heard about a desalination plant being built in the state I live in, it is a huge expense with no real profit, a proverbial fiscal black hole.
    I just don't think the technology is quite there yet...but I don't profess to know a great deal about it either!!

4. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    You may as well just use the water to grow food in sky-scraper farms along the coastline. No expensive pipelines, more compact farming, and preservation of the deserts, which are awesome btw.

5. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    It is really expensive, that's the reason this isn't a real idea. But eventually the technology will get better.. and then we shall see what happens.

6. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    Destroying deserts will wipe out many species. Whats the point of wiping out a desert to make a rain forest? Destroying animals and plants that only live in deserts so that other plants and animals can live in a rain forest?

7. bloodfiredeath

bloodfiredeath Die by the Sword

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Apparently the cheapest it can be done for is 52.7 cents per cubic meter, so it isnt really viable for agriculture at present. Apparently at the moment they use reverse osmosis to desalinate, which is bloody expensive (I know having used it before in the wine industry) however as nano technology moves forward, RO will be outdated and carbon nanotubes could possibly drop costs by 75% or so, so viability is not an issue. Also at present RO does not remove Boron, which is toxic to Humans, so levels in people due to consumption of the water and food grown/produced with this water could be an issue!!

That is a valid point, though we would need a frak load of desalination plants in Australia to reclaim our deserts!! The problem, would be what to do with the salt!!

8. steelpounder

steelpounder New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I realize that it would be expensive. That is one reason I suggested evaporation units. I was thinking of a big building (400 feet X 800 feet) with a translucent roof with a gradual slope and collection tanks at the low end. As for the salt sell it as sea salt. You could sell it to road crews in cold areas too. They use tons of salt on the roads around here.
    One of the reasons I thought of this is I have heard that "desertification" is increasing world wide. Here in northern Utah irrigation is the only way to raise crops as this is considered desert area.
    However I wanted as many varied and interesting ideas as I could get which is why I come to TFF

9. steelpounder

steelpounder New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think that roof gardens on skyscrapers is a great idea.

10. Kelmourne

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I was actually talking about sky-scrapers where every floor in them is a farm. They have blueprints.

11. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    An alternative would also be so called 'living walls' where a garden/crop is planted vertically within a multi storey property rather than horizontally like so:

http://collection-of-wallpapers.blogspot.com/2008/06/living-walls-vertical-gardens-sky-farm.html

Planting deep rooted trees etc is pretty much the only way to stop the deserts expanding. There's probably a natural way of using salt-tolerant coastal planting combined with stone filters (as used to recycle waste water) as opposed to expensive desalination, they just haven't found it yet!

12. Kelmourne

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    That is actually really really awesome. I'd love to have my house covered in plants.

Also, the third picture is kinda what I was talking about when I said sky-scraper farms. They are building one the next city over from where I live.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  13. Halt!!!

Halt!!! New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thats pretty cool what state country is it in?

14. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Deserts are important to maintain the world as it is. There must be a balance between the humid and the dry. So any such measure would be most likely dangerous.

15. Aatell

Aatell The one who has two minds

The brotherhood of brothers of brothering brotherl
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    That's like the easiest thing to do just pump water from oceans and pour it our along the desert<that's what i think your saying, i mean California is a HUGE desert they just pump water from the mountains if that stopped California would die in like a week

16. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    What about greenhouse + hydroponics = solar plant? wouldn't that be more efficient than pumping water into the desert and letting it evaporate?

There's enormous plots of unused and uninhabitable desert that's too dry even for bacteria to live in, but put a machine there that runs on the sun and it'll keep generating electricity all on its own. This then feeds energy to the hydroponics plant, which by virtue of recycling needs much less water input than traditional farming techniques; utilizing a greenhouse would conserve moisture evaporating from the leaves and the pipes, and when recondensed the vapor can be recycled.