Decisions, decisions.... D7000 or a D600?

Discussion in 'User Created Art' started by Stormborn, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Stormborn

Stormborn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Any photographers here that use Nikon?

My D90 is ready to die any moment, life has been hard for it.

So I'm trying to decide to either get the D7000 or put some more money into it and get myself a D600.

The question is, is it worth it?

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    CANON CANON CANON CANON CANON

Ok now that is out of the way ;) The question of if its worth it depends upon a few things:
    1) what do you want to do with the camera? Aside from replace your D90 what is it that you do with photography, what is it that you want the new camera to allow you to do; what short fallings has the D90 got that you want to overcome?

2) What other equipment do you currently have? Sometimes getting a lower end body along with a higher end lens or flash setup can be a far better approach than sinking all your money into a camera body alone.

3. Stormborn

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    CANON IS LIKE CHINESE???

I pretty much run around taking pics of my horses and I'm a mediocre photographer, but trying to improve all the time.

I'm disliking the high noise at high ISO on the D90 for example, the lack of focus points and the video function is is pretty bad.
    Also it's not weather sealed, so I'm thinking that's why i'ts dying. I pretty much drag my camera with me anywhere, and it tags along to the horses almost everyday. Poor thing.

I have two lenses that I use, Tamron 70-200 mm f/2.8 and a Nikon 50mm f/1.8. And a kit lens that gathers dust.

Perhaps I should go for the D7000 and by me a new lens, I've been eying that Nikon AF-S DX 17-55/2,8 G ED for some time now. (But then I'm like, well shouldn't I go for the Nikon AF-S 24-70/2,8 G ED and put even mooore money into it, or maybe go for the cheaper Tamron version of it... It's driving me crazy. Haha. )

4. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    lol - I've got a D90. Seems to hold up pretty well...

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING WITH YOURS THAT IT"S ABOUT TO FALL APART????

caps^^

Anyways, maybe it's a good moment to ask yourself at what the D90 was lacking. I, for instance, seem to note that it's getting grainy under low lighting conditions. Moreso than other cameras.

... then again, if you managed to wear yourself through a D90, maybe it's time to get something of a bit more professional build quality. Such as the aforementioned D600...

5. Stormborn

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Some photos taken with my dying camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Stormborn

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Made all of the beginners mistakes, I knew nothing about "taking care" of a camera right when I got it and I think that's why it's giving up on me! It don't seem to have liked all the dust, rain and cold I've put it through.

7. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Nooo Canon is like - the best ;) (not really but I'm a canon shooter so.... ;))

Sadly as a Canon shooter I don't know the Nikon range as well as I do the canon - especially for the camera bodies.

The biggest difference with the D600 over your current camera and the D7000 though is that the D600 is a fullframe DSLR. That means the sensor inside is larger and a result this changes a few things;
    1) Angle of view changes - in practical terms this means that when you use the same focal length on the D600 as you would on your D90 it will feel like the lens is set to a shorter focal length. This is because the larger sensor captures a larger amount of the image circle projected into the camera. It's great for indoors situations as it means you can use a longer focal length lens and still frame a shot well.
    Note that Nikon has 2 ranges of lenses, some are made for their DX (crop sensor) format - however these lenses will still work on the D600 as it has the ability to reduce its sensors active area to just that projected by the smaller format lenses.

2) High ISO noise is generally better controlled on fullframe cameras, the larger sensor allows for a generally better setup for reduction of noise.

The D600 also appears to have some very good AF features so should be more than capable of keeping up with the horses. However if you want a more indepth comparison of the bodies you'll want to hunt down some reviews and maybe a photography forum and some Nikon photographers. There could also be second hand/reconditioned bodies that would be worth considering in this price bracket.

As for the lens front, remember if you start shooting horses with a wide angle lens at closer ranges you'll start to introduced perspective distortion. Those parts closer to the lens will start to become enlarged over those further away - big noses and bellies will be a problem. Telephoto lenses which let you shoot from further away whilst still giving a tight frame of the subject help to reduce and remove this problem (50mm is generally considered the cutoff point)

The Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 would be a fantastic lens to add to your setup alongside a 70-200mm and you'd be well set to shoot a lot of subjects. The 17-55mm would be a better choice though if you go for the crop sensor option (D7000) because if you want the wider angle of view you'll want that shorter focal length - whilst on the D600 the 24mm will be wider than you're used to (the rough value is 1.5 times for Nikon. So 24mm on your D90 will appear like 16mm on the D90 if you use 24mm on the D600).

8. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Ack talking whilst I'm posting is cheating ;)

Also look up the OPTECH rainsleeve - very cheap very simple weatherproofing cover for any DSLR :)

9. Stormborn

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Overread, Thank you so much for the advices!

10. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0

This might give you a hand or a chuckle or both :)

note - warning digital rev and thus some questionable language and top gear style reviewing ;)

11. Stormborn

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the link, it actually helped some. :) Made me laugh.

12. Stormborn

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    So I went to have a look at the cameras, they did have the D7000 but did'nt have the D600 in. The D7000 sure felt nice enough.
    But they had a D800 that just flirted like crazy with me and told me it wanted to come home with me. But noo, I'm not sure I'm willing to put THAT amount of money in a camera.

13. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    I think you need to have a look at that 24-70mm f2.8 ;)

14. Stormborn

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I'm thinking the D7000 and a 24-70mm f/2.8 will be pretty awesome together. I would be more fun to buy a new camera and a new lens.

15. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Did you get it?
    Did you get it?
    Did you get it?
    Did you get it?
    Did you get it?
    Did you get it?
    Did you get it?

16. Stormborn

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    I'm still thinking. Haha! I am leaning towards the D7000 though.

17. Heaven's Cloud

Heaven's Cloud Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    I don't know the first thing about cameras, but I will say some of those pics look like they came straight out of a fairy tale.

18. Stormborn

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Thank you cloud! The place where I have my horse is like straight out of a fairy tale so it's not very hard to get nice pictures. :)

I actually tried to buy the D7000 today, but the store I went to didn't have it. So I think I will go somewhere else tomorrow, If I can find the time.

19. Heaven's Cloud

Heaven's Cloud Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Wish they had a place like that here in the desert. I guess it wouldn't a desert if they did though :(

I hope you get that camera tomorrow so you can take some more fairy tale pics.

20. Stormborn

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    WHYYYYYYYYYYY. I swear to god I'm about to go batshit crazy.

I had come to a decision. I had made up my mind.

I always think about things forever, so that I won't make the wrong decision.

I was just about to click home the D7000. FINALLY I would have a new pretty and shiny Nikon camera.

But then.... a D7100 appears out of nowhere. Are you fudging kidding me Nikon? Why are you doing this to me? What say you in your defense Nikon? Do you have to make my life harder? Do you, Nikon?

Did I do something to piss off the gods? I think everything hates me this month.