Debate Forum

Discussion in 'Rants & Scams' started by Liadan, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Hey look I can bitch, moan, and cry like a little kid too.

I care. Really.

(Yeah, yeah, I don't even post in the debate section all that often, but what I've read in there recently is so zzzzzz.)

Edit: Before people start going "I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE STUPIDITIES OF THE GENERAL HUMAN POPULATION" (<3 Steivan) you know that I mean a few specific posts/posters. lol

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  2. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Re: Gay Rights Poll/Debate

I'm commenting on the side topic that seems to have popped up. This doesn't really reflect my "view" on the recent altercation that occurred, since I didn't really witness most of it, but rather on Darkfox's post.

Whether you treat the internet like the internet or like real life, expecting "justice" and "fairness" is something that only a five year old kid does. Life isn't fair. And the mods/admins don't "have" to be fair either - this is the internet, not some court of law.

Edit: Maybe the best way to put it is: Posting on these forums is a privilege, not a right.

3. Kally

Kally Driving my own destiny.

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    this thread wins.

4. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    If someone feels that this next post is provocative, given that the topic where I'm pulling these quotes from is locked, I'm not actually intending to start a flame war. Just to rant a little bit. :)

(Incidentally, some of what I'm assuming may be incorrect since I didn't read all the posts in the thread in question, and I'm writing based on what I've heard/seen.)

Oh for God's sake, if you keep bringing this up, I'm going to start e-knighting them again and then you'll probably start crying about it again, and then making a general ass of yourself when pretty much everyone just says "What she said" and no one gives you the e-sympathy that apparently you're addicted to, since you NEVER GIVE UP on trying to sucker people into feeling sorry for you. Try to spare yourself the humiliation this time.

You're funny. No, really.

If someone who's known for flaming tells me that "YOU'RE GETTING TOO OUT OF HAND" I'm going to ignore them.

Also, old members who know you don't think of you as patient. Just stubborn, apparently unable to respond to arguments in a logical or coherent fashion, and prone to start flame wars.

This is supposed to be a PG13 forum. Not really sure about the emote, but you're really not supposed to use major profanities (specifically the f-word) on these forums, which it says in the rules. I think my first month of posting here I got 2 warning points for swearing. :> Deal with it.

For all that I'm of the personal opinion that sometimes this forum is too much of a carebear forum, that's simply the way things are. If you don't like it, there's always the option to leave.

Also, if you're going to oh-so-subtly attempt to troll the mods, suck less at it. Please.

Okay I lol'd irl at this statement. So the moment it comes down to yourself, you're all about "THIS IS A FREE SOCIETY AND I CAN THINK WHAT I WANT GAIS," but gays should be deported to another country. Because they don't get to live in a free society. OKAY THIS TOTALLY MADE SENSE

Once again, LOL IRONY?

Your sainted attitude would be more believable if you were actually innocent of flames, harsh language, and offensive/provocative posts in the first place. Which, JUST IN CASE YOU'VE FORGOTTEN, you're not.

Seriously, this post is so hypocritical that I'm honestly flabbergasted. You HAVE to be a troll. 'cause if you're not, the possibility that you actually believe this is enough to make me cry IRL.

As much as I dislike agreeing with anyone besides Steivan, Senekha, and a few other members who know who they are, I have to agree with Darkfox on this. You'll start flames, but the minute they turn back on you, you're like "NOP CAN'T TAKE THIS."

It also makes you look like a idiot.

Other people who post more in those sections can confirm this but... haven't you done the same thing when you got banned and Anakin and Padme didn't?

Even if you haven't, I can totally see you doing it.

No.

No.

No.

If it were possible to report people for sheer hypocrisy, I would've done it 1000x over just for you, despite the fact that I never use report on the intarwebz.

Yeah, respecting the mods. Hey, anyone remember that "THANK GOD ANAKIN AND PADME ARE GONE" thread, where the admins were trying to keep it under cover for your sake, and then you run around disregarding them? Kay, guess you don't. But I do. It's the last thread I took seriously as an e-knight.

Also, if you actually respected the mods, you'd stop making ridiculously provocative posts in the debate forum/stop making more work for them. I'm pretty sure that Sorcha had to spend hours of her time editing a thread. Some of the posts were yours.

I will admit that this post made me lol. It pretty much summarizes half of the posts in the debate forum.

I've said it once, I've said it again. What charter is there on the internet promising equality and justice for all? :rolleyes: Posting here is a mixture of privilege + free choice, not right + mandatory. You do not have to post in these forums if you dislike the "inequality" going around. You do not have the right to demand "equality" here either. Despite the illusions you seem to be under, the internet is not, in fact, an extension of your home nation.

Don't get me wrong, I admit that I agree with many of your posts. But this is where I don't.

SADDLING UP MY NOBLE STEED TO EKNIGHT STEIVAN ALTHOUGH HE DOESN'T NEED IT

Stop making snarky posts that are designed to show off how clever you are. It doesn't work.

Some people try not to get other people involved. Like mods, and admins, who have their own lives to live. Ever thought about that? Every time you cause a situation and complain about it, you're creating more work for them.

Hey, at least he's able to back up his claims with substantiated quotes that you're not even denying! But I guess LOGIC IS TOO HARD or something.

Thank you.

QFE.

Not sure if you realize this but the mods have to take time from their ARE-ELL to moderate the comments of half a dozen posters. Be grateful that I (or some of the other members around here) aren't mods, because I'm pretty sure that I would've hit all of you with a permanent banstick and then realized "hai luk we don't have problems in the debate forumz anymoar," and been perfectly satisfied with that.

Come off your high horse, of course you do. I don't even post in the debate forums because half the time seeing that his is the latest post discourages me from even clicking the link.

Also, deliberate favoritism and editing?

1) This is internet, etc.
    2) They take time from their Are-Ell to do this, etc.
    3) STOP TAKING THIS SO DAMN SERIOUSLY.

I simply am at a loss for words with this post.

Except that like, for the last few posts, you've been denying that you've done any such thing in the first place. OHOK

I'm honestly ashamed to have to admit that I actually agree with this post.

I hate stupidity but I love irony.

At this point I gave up on going through posts.

About the only thing I seriously want to do is quote every single crybaby post and scream "CARE" until you guys get the message.

5. ScreenXSurfer

ScreenXSurfer Better Than You

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So having power means it should be unquestionable? People started thinking differently about, oh, 800 or so years ago at the very least.

6. darkfox

darkfox New Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

You are precisely right in that the mods and admins don't "have" to be fair. Though I would argue that justice is something to be strived towards instead of a childish desire, otherwise why have a legal system? I'm sure the legal system was designed with five year olds in mind, though it seems to be rather dominated by adults. Strange. Very strange indeed.

There's also the interesting side note that this forum is actually owned and operated by a business and these practices tend to setup a bad precident for those transactions. I know I certainly won't be shopping for my replica swords with them, if there's a problem with the shipment it's apparently common practice that you must grin and bare it, then shop again as though the problem never occured. Sweep it under the rug instead of deal with the problem I always say....oh wait, no I don't. The oddity continues.

I'm not asking for universal approval, I'm merely stating my opinion. Clearly it's unpopular with the powers that be and that's fine too. It's also obviously not just my opinion, but whatever keeps the ship afloat I suppose.

Perhaps in the interest of keeping this debate on gay rights open we should stick to the actual topic at hand instead of taking pot shots after the thread in question has been locked. That was perhaps the intent. Though I'm sure you know better than I what is the wisest action.

edit: I'm sure your ego has been well served in this practice and won't be addressed by the mods at all. cheers.

7. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0

@ Screensurfer: Once again, this is the internet, not some extension of your home country.

Questions of morality and ethics aside, the mods are not obligated to do anything for you, whether or not you agree or disagree with it.

We could argue for an hour about ideals on morals/ethics. I'm sure it'd be very entertaining (not sarcasm btw). But the reality's not going to change.

@ Darkfox: You know, you made the comment, I responded to it :> Making snarky comments about the forums gets old after a while btw, you're pretty bad at trolling me~

8. darkfox

darkfox New Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Trolling would imply that I chase you around. I'm affraid you have a much higher opinion of yourself than I do. This is likely a failing of an exagerated sense of self-worth. Might want to get that looked at.

I made the comment in an unrelated thread. You following me here is exercising the same trolling abuse you're accusing me of. Which would be amusingly ironic if it wasn't so pathetic.

Again, I highly doubt you'll be warned by the mod squad...althogh I'm sure a PM is coming my way for actually placating your quest for attention.

9. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0

Okay. :>

Also, 1-10? lol

10. ScreenXSurfer

ScreenXSurfer Better Than You

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Of course you say "morality and ethics aside" because to think of it that way is to see that it's inappropriate and barbaric.

11. darkfox

darkfox New Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I see how much you enjoy irony, so here's a not so subtle collection of ironic emoticons hosted by this forum.

:321: (f-finger)
    :screwyou: (repeated f-finger, emote is even called 'screwyou'...cute)
    :eatshit: (eat $hit emoticon, amusing in that $hit is on the warning word list)
    :humper: (PG13 indeed, last time I checked, sex in movies gave it an R rating...crazy)

I think you're stretching with the logic stick here...but just those couple of emoticons tend to prove that PG13 is a point of view rather than a hardline rule...or the rules are completely self-defeating anyway. Hypocracy tastes a little like irony...but not exactly.

12. darkfox

darkfox New Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

|
    v

13. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    *sigh* why can't everyone just debate with a little bit of class.

As much as I am loath to admit it darkfox especially since your civility post-ban was admirable, the trouble that resulted in your ban and foi's notban, was started (as best I can tell) by you, hence the ban. Foi is certainly not innocent, but he's been here long enough to toe the line, and mild provocation enough to enflame response is his weapon of choice.

Like i said before, flaming, shouting and personal attacks detract from your arguements, by inciting you to attack him you give him reason to ignore your actual points, and we all collectively lose as a result.

Maybe I've just been in the gay thread long enough to innoculate myself against his homophobia...

Anyway as for gaygate, the quieting isnt the result of the moderation, this has happened before more than once, its because foi left in a huff, and as practically the only opposition there is no ground left to fight over with him gone. which is another reason not to shout, as it might scare off the opposition.

then again is been years and foi has yet to examine any of the logic posed to him in that thread, always falling back on the same tired reasons.

And lol LDH, not a single quote of mine to complain about? have I really been that good? oh and:

YESSSSS, you still dislike agreeing with me, my annoyance still stands!

14. darkfox

darkfox New Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Which explains SK's ban how? Look, I understand you're trying to rationally explain this as anything except favoritism and I respect your attempt to defend the moderators actions. Fact is, unless it's favoritism...it defies explaination.

However, my labodomy didn't take as it was supposed to and my viewpoint is probably flawed as a result.

15. Kenshin

Kenshin Drifter

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    I <3 Liadan

16. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    he too engaged in the flare-up and degenerated into shouting, while foi did not, foi was certainly less than civil, but he still stopped at the line because he has been banned before for crossing it.

it does not defy explanation, those who have witnessed the course of the debate section for long enough know where the line is drawn between fervour and abuse. that is likely where the view of favouritism stems from, the invisible line that is only seen after experience, hell, your ban is one of those experiences that let you know where it is. the only difference is foi knows where the line is and you didnt. he exploited it to his advantage and you got banned. it sucks but thats the way it is. I understand your outrage at what transpired because its based on an invisible system that wasnt explained before we engaged in debate,.

17. darkfox

darkfox New Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I guess experience is the best teacher

18. Blood Battosai

Blood Battosai Death Become of you

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    liadan wins so freakin hard

19. Kenshin

Kenshin Drifter

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Your spelling, however, does not >.<

20. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Hi Chrisycakes :3 And you know that I've never actually accused you of being an asshole - okay never mind I lied. But I still <3 you.

And I generally agree with you. Except, like, RHAEGARRRRRR

@ Darkfox: I already stated that I don't know what's the deal with the emotes, but okay.

y r u so mad