De-Ringing the Nazgûl

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Unraveller, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Seeing as they derive much of their power from the rings they wear, would the most sensible battle tactic be to strike at their hands?

2. Kaine999

Kaine999 ┼╫£ §₧£§╫µ⌠

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    I think that would be the most effective method of attack, cut off the finger, if you can, unless the rings could be somehow broken.
    Unless ofc the rings are bound to those that wear them, then removing the rings would have little effect, but that is only my guess ofc.

3. Árëlin Milloway

Árëlin Milloway Toast Tiger

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Well, The One Ring does not seem extremely bound to it wearer. So it does sound like a sensible tactic, at least to me it does. ;)

4. kevis

kevis Barbarian

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have to imagine that if it were that easy, someone in the books would have tried that already. Then again, maybe someone did try it and didn't live to tell the tale.

5. Kai

Kai Dark Jedi Warrior

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Is it safe to say that the rings are still even apart of the material world. They have been attached to the Nazgul for so long and is it possible they have been consumed by the Nazgul wraith-like exsistence. I can't recall in the books but after explaining that the nine were once kings who held rings of power, the rings themselves are never spoken of again. My arguement on cutting them off is that, when the flooding of the ford broke on them, wouldn't it have been just as easy for them to be separated from their rings in the water then if someone had cut it off.

6. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +638 / 3 / -1
    The Nazghoul are more overtaken by the power of the Rings (the will of Sauron) than even Golumn - men being weak willed and all and also for possessing the rings longer and being under the direct influence of the One Ring whilst it was in the possession of Sauron.
    Thus even removing their rings they would remain mostly as they are - some connection to the Great Eye might be lost by removal, but their powers and bodies would remains I suspect. Thus whilst it would pain them it would not stop them.
    Also remember that striking one of them is not without pains to the attacker - remember that Merry/Pipin (I forget which) who only stabbed the Nazghoul was badly injured from the action alone

7. walker1979

walker1979 dream weaver

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sauron had their rings in his possesion after utterly breaking their wills..Effectively they were extensions of Saurons will,as Gandalf says..they were so in thrall to the dark lord that even if one took the Ruling Ring,they could'nt claim it...so to answer....they don't have the rings on:)

8. MeltingRoses

MeltingRoses MeltingRoses

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does it ever actually say that the Nine still have their Rings on their fingers? Or did Sauron take back the rings? That was my impression since throughout the first book they say how he has the nine and possibly some of the ten while the three were hidden to him. So doesn't that mean he was kind of collecting them? To add to his own power possibly?

9. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +638 / 3 / -1
    The rings outside of the "one ring of power" were all slaves to the master ring. They gave powers to those that used them, powers to help rule over their own kind depending on who the ring was forged for - elf, dwarf or man. However it was only the rings given to the 9 kings of men which produced the wraiths because men were so easily corrupted and twisted by the dark lords will. The Elves and dwarfs restisted more strongly and at least one or two of the elf rings were still held by elves (Gladriel held one of those rings if I am not mistaken).

The rings were originally a gift to those people by Sauron whilst he moved in the guise of a friend - then he forged the master ring so that he might rule over all - rule those that hold the rings that in turn rule the people.

So the rings themselves would not add to his power in such a direct manner that you're thinking of. However of course having the 9 wraiths which are bound to the rings greatly increases his servants and thus the power of his "kingdom" if you will.

I'm not sure what happened to the kings of dwarfs and their rings

10. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    All the Rings apart from the One were created in Eregion by the Elven Smiths. They were given as gifts to the men, elves and dwarves. Those of the elves were the most powerful, and remained hidden from Sauron when he forged the Master Ring. The dwarves' rings he knew more about than of the elves', but only took three, as the other four were destroyed by the dragons. He corrupted the nine men with the One, and turned them into the Nine.

EDIT:
    I don't think either that the Nine have hands, but just take a shape. Their hands are only defined by their gloves, as they themselves are immaterial, so the rings are not actually on them; they are kept by Sauron, which is how he controls them even without the Master Ring. Anyway, even if they did have fingers, you couldn't cut them off; they're wraiths. Only an Eldar can (ex. Glorfindel), who are in both the material and immaterial worlds.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  11. Threebeards

Threebeards New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd be willing to bet Sauron took back the Nine and they were ringless. He couldn't control them without the One, so no sense in letting his underlings have them.
    However, undoubtedly if he recovered the One he would then gladly doll them back to their original "owners". The Nazgul would then have all their old powers again that Sauron took away.....however Sauron would then control them as puppets. So he'd essentially have his cake and eat it too.

Another reason for him to keep them- most assuredly if Sauron destroyed any one of those rings, the corresponding Nazgul would vaporize. So, their lives were literally in the "palm of his hand" and they were completely at his mercy.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012