Dark Souls

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Firiath, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I pick armor by prioritizing helms with special effects then going with the max average physical defense. Keeping in mind weight load too. I usually try to go for 50%.

Yeah, run from those soldiers if you can unless you can take them out in a nice 3-4 hits. They do a gross load of damage. Upgrading armor is a good idea, but be careful with it. You are more likely to switch armors than weapons, and because they use the same upgrade materials you could risk losing out on more damage.

2. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    ^ Damn. I didn't know that.

Considering my options now...

3. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    I found so many armour sets today, if they weren't all so heavy I wouldn't be able to decide which one to wear. :D
    I spent almost the entire day playing Dark Souls, because for the first time my brother's connection was good enough for him to join my game as a phantom, which made the whole game a lot easier. I even survived being invaded! I was in Lost Izalith (in the Dragon Ass Hell, as my brother called it) when it happened and the invader circled around a structure, probably hoping he'd surprise me from behind. What he didn't know was that my phantom followed him and backstabbed him before he could attack. I got more than 17,000 souls without having done anything. :O
    I feel a bit bad now because it's such a huge advantage to play with someone who knows every strategy and every corner of the game (and who helped me defeat the worst boss ever - or that's what I've heard). But then again, who knows how long it'll take until I've got the time to continue playing. :S

4. Taliesyn

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    Man, I wish I had someone to help me out like that. I'm just grinding for more souls at the moment. Darkroot Garden is killing me. :(

5. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Couldn't you set down your summon sign anywhere to help others playing (defeating bosses)? I've earned a lot of souls by doing this. Which bosses have you defeated so far? Maybe you could try help out others, defeating bosses about which you know how to kill them.

6. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    He could probably help people do the Gargoyles or even the Capra Demon. For Gargoyles drop the sign right after the bridge out of the blacksmith tower, for Capra Demon you should probably drop the sign right at the fog door.

7. Taliesyn

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    I have no idea how to help others. How does one achieve this? As for summoning help, I'm too afraid of being invaded again to do that.

8. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Did you talk to Solaire repeatedly at the start? He is out on the far balcony of that great bridge that Red drake sits on. Solaire is on the far opposite end to where the Drake is.

If you missed getting the white sign soapstone from him it might be worth it to restart your run. You can grind back to where you are way faster with the white sign too. Just remember to keep putting down your summon sign while you still have a ton of souls. If you spend your souls to level you could put yourself out of range to get summoned by others, and vice versa.

9. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Restarting the game sounds like a huge challenge. After all I've been through I probably couldn't even stand the thought of going through all of this shit again. D: But then again, the White Sign Soapstone really helps a lot. I helped defeat the Gaping Dragon half a dozen times and got 12,500 souls every time I survived the fight.
    The good thing about being summoned oneself is that you don't have to reverse your hollowing, so you'll be safe from being invaded. I only ever reverse my hollowing prior to boss fights, hoping I get there without being invaded. Luckily, my internet connection isn't the best, or I would have been invaded much more often. Or at least I think so. :S

10. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    This game is honestly more knowledge based than skill based. If you know where the right equipment is, where enemies are, and their attack patterns soul level 1 runs are even possible. So replaying it isn't that bad, also it means you could manage souls and items more wisely if you think you blew it.

11. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    I like that once you figure out an attack pattern of enemies it becomes less of a chore to fight them. especially low level enemies like hollows and what not. the bosses are a bit different because even if you know their attack pattern there still is a good chance you'll die at least once. I never actually thought about putting my summon sign down before I killed the boss, but that could just be me wanting to experiance an area myself for the first time. same thing with bosses. I will always try the first time by myself and if I can't do it and I see a need for aide then I will summon someone. especially against bosses with immense speed that I just know I won't be able to take out by myself because while I can roll pretty quickly I know that I won't be able to hit him because by the time I get done with the roll I gotta roll out of the way again. there are a couple early game bosses in dark souls 2 like that and it can be a pain in the butt. the current boss I'm working on is annoying because there are 6 of them. not gonna say any more then that because I don't want to spoil anything but yea. hopefully I can get to some slower bosses that my speed will win out. I also started carrying a shield for the quicker ones because duel wielding swords is just not the greatest tactic against them. the last boss I fought I summoned a couple people and just shot the boss full of arrows.

12. Taliesyn

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    Hm, I did talk to Solaire a few times and got the white soap thingy... I just haven't used it yet. I guess I could do that and see how it goes, right?

13. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    You don't lose anything when you die as a white phantom so go nuts.

14. Taliesyn

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    Oh, well that's alright then! :D

15. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    I'd totally use it when-/wherever you can! :D

I ventured into the Tomb of the Giants yesterday, and got to the part that's full of NOPE. I saved at the bonfire close to Patches (don't like that guy), because I'm planning to take my brother with me as soon as I've decided to pass the fog gate that's close to Patches.

Much scary, such dark D:

EDIT: Possible spoiler? I know it doesn't always come to this, but it happened in my playthrough and it sucked. I killed Solaire when I tried getting the sunlight maggot. He attacked me! I used to like him. Best sunbro ever ;_;

16. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    You have to rank up the maggot humanity covenant to get access to a shortcut so you can beat him to the sunlight maggot.

Patches is great though. He is worth your trust and souls. Unless you're one of those spineless clerics.

17. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    I'll just try not to kill Solaire in my next playthrough. :D

About Patches... I told him I'm not a cleric, as I'm an awesome pyromancer with an awesome uchigatana (totally worth the kill). He was still mean to me, but I forgave him after he gave me some humanity by way of apology. :p

I ventured further into the Tomb of the Giants two days ago, and died only once on my way to Nito. He was rather easy to kill, if I compare him to some of the other bosses I'd fought before. But then again, my phantom-brother (brother-phantom?) was 'tanking' most of the time, so I had the advantage again. After killing Nito he helped me fight Seath the Scaleless (and of course cut his tail of - despite some connection problems that lead to Seath appearing to have his back against the wall (for my brother) while he kept following and attacking me).
    We met Siegmeyer's daughter on the way. My brother had told me we'd meet her as soon as we killed one of those golems, and... well, I had not expected that. :D

18. Taliesyn

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    God, I hate this game so much, yet I can't stop playing it. Someone shoot me! :mad:

After hours of playing, defeating the gaping toothy lizard dragon thing in the Depths, and getting a ton load of souls for it, I got killed trying to make my way back to the previous bonfire. And when I tried to find my way back to where I'd died to restore my souls and whatnot, I got &#%!@?! killed again! ALL of that progress GONE! I completely lost it and nearly threw my controller through a window. GAH!

And now I'm back to playing it today after three days of avoiding this total scum of a game! I'm not right in the head. I'm really not. :(

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  19. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Gotta stock up on homeward bones. You can get them from a few merchants. They will warp you back to the last bonfire you were at. Also 20k souls isn't too bad to lose, if you keep pressing on you'll get more souls more easily. Also if you missed the white sign soapstone, you could always try invading to grind souls... You'd have to beat the Four Kings early though.

20. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Oh, but the Four Kings are a huge pain in the ass. Eph, I wish I could help you :( Phantoms have helped a great deal in my playthrough and I'm sure I would have dispaired if I'd had to beat the game without any help. My s.o. has been trying this (he can't play online because he doesn't have Xbox Live Gold) and he hasn't even gotten half as far as you have. But keep going, don't go hollow! I know you can do it!