Dark Souls

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Firiath, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    So, I just started playing Dark Souls, and now I know why my brother told me to wait until we could play together, so he could help me. I played for ten minutes and quit (to prevent a rage-quit!) and I won't touch the game again until I visit my brothers this weekend. >_>

Advice for a newbie, anyone? :p

2. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I am more than halfway through Dark Souls in a soul level 1 run. I am your Dark Souls god.

Ask my whatever question.

I even beat the four kings soul level 1 so I'm a darkwraith. That is the one thing I'm proud of in this world, I'm good at Dark Souls.

Editing the post with general tips:

Prioritize upgrading your weapon and then your armor, this is sometimes more important than leveling, especially weapon upgrade.

Know what weapon you want to use and use it fast, the quicker you are on the right upgrade weapon path the quicker you can take down enemies, bosses, invaders and such.

If treading on new ground, hold your shield up and walk slowly. Also dodging in combat is really good, but it is better to guard first so you know the attack pattern of the enemy.

Never attack shop keepers or blacksmiths until you are about to beat the game. If you anger them you can never use their services and the game autosaves.

I recommend a stat build with a focus on endurance for a starting player, from there you can do endurance health and then a mix of strength, dex, int, or faith depending on the weapon you decide to use. All this said, there are hardly any bad weapons or armor sets.

If you aren't using magic, use pyromancy or a crossbow, ranged weapons are super handy in many situations and a good sidearm.
    Also if you are stuck on a boss or enemy type ask me and I can give you the strategy rundown.

If you are stuck on a boss or enemy type ask me and I can give you a strategic rundown and tips to beat it easily, flawlessly even. Also if that doesn't help because you are still warming up to the controls, when you are in human form you can summon white phantoms to help you against bosses so do that.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  3. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    *bows down to the DS god* That already helps a lot, thank you! I just played until I encountered the very first demon, that fat monster with the club that beat me to death a couple of times until I got frustrated. The controls do take some getting used to, so maybe they were the problem, as I'm used to being able to dodge infinitely (in other games such as The Witcher) without losing stamina.

During the character creation I chose the knight as my class, as I usually play melee characters in RPGs and hack'n'slash games, and the knight seemed to have slightly better stats. Is that okay? (I'm probably going to create a new character this weekend anyway, as I'll start a new game in which my brother will help me with his own new character.)

4. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Starting stats don't really matter, but the best starting class is pyromancer. You start at soul level one with few of your stat points wasted in resistance (did I mention that stat is worthless already, kind of bad balancing but most other things are good). Also Pyromancers start off with a weak fireball spell but it totally wrecks early bosses even before you upgrade it.

The dodging and guarding are tough, but you will be fine if you pump points into endurance. Endurance means you can run more, roll more, and take harder hits with your shield. Also you kind of have to learn how to beat bosses through trial and error, the first time you go in (especially if it is blind) expect to die once or twice at least. Just be sure to kindle your bonfires for more estus for healing before you try to take on a large battle.

Dodging may be one of the trickier elements in the game along with parrying. The way dodging works best is, dodge forward if you want to get past a trap, dodge left if the enemy swings from the left, right if the enemy swings from the right, back if they swing either left or right, but never dodge back when they stab.

Also be sure to pay attention to your shields, they have different % damage absorptions, like some may absorb 50% magic but only 90% physical so be sure to have a rounded collection for the situation at hand. Also a protip, you can upgrade your shields when you upgrade weapons because you can weild them as weapons also, normally that would be bad because they make bad weapons but upgrading them boosts stability, or your capacity to take heavy swings or sequential hits without your guard breaking. So if you have the spare titanite, upgrade your go-to shields.

But back to classes, it doesn't really matter what you pick. All class decides is your starting level, stats, and gear, you could amorphously switch to basically anything. There is tons of freedom in character building and it is hard to squander points. Usually the only two stat combos I never see are int and faith, but if you were good enough you could probably do a squishy build with lots of aggressive magic.

Speaking of aggression, sometimes enemies can be intimidating along with bosses and that will cause you to shy away and try to guard and dodge only, but often the best strategy for bosses is to get aggressive, take some hits, retreat to heal if you get low on health, then plunge yourself back in for a hit or two if you can't dodge.

It feels so nice to talk Dark Souls with people again, DkS II is coming out some time next year even and I'm hype for that.

5. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Good to know! I usually start RPGs as a fighter class, which is why I chose the knight, and all I cared about was how much damage I could take, or how good my defense is, because I've heard so much about how brutal this game can be.

It's a good thing it says "Prepare to die edition" on the game's cover. :D Although I prefer saying "prepare to cry". >_>

6. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    Is this game worth buying? Heard mixed opinions from mates so I thought Id ask people with a higher IQ than a goldfish.

7. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    It's certainly worth buying if you like challenges. Monstrous challenges. My bf started playing it and after dying half a dozen times in the fight against the very first boss he said the game is stupid and threw the controller away. I had the same problem, but I was just upset, sat under the shower to cry for a couple of hours, and told myself I'd try it another time.

8. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Undoubtedly, I like it more than any other game in the last few years. Witcher 2 and a few others come pretty close but they don't have the same great multiplayer elements. One thing you might not like that nobody likes is that the PC version is only through steam and it uses damnable Windows Live. However Dark Souls II won't use windows live, so you might want to just wait for that game, but DkS is totally worth it.

Dark Souls isn't a really hard game, it is a game of knowing things. If you know what weapon to use, where to go, and what the boss does it is easy. Like I said I'm doing a level 1 run for fun.

The hard part is getting invaded and doing things the first time, there are tons of traps and other things. Also I think the game tries to get you to quit as a thematic element. You are one of many undead, some people hypothesize that other undead that are hollowed (feral, without humanity) represent a player that gave up and went mad.

Lots of bosses have tricks to them too. I'll spoiler a few early ones below if you get stuck.

Ok, so Black Knights take a ton of damage from backstabs if you can get behind them, black firebombs work on them well too, and if you master parrying they are trivalized.

The first real area boss, the Taurus Demon tries to trick you, the moment you cross the fog gate turn right and there is a ladder, up it are two plinky enemies that would snipe at you during the boss fight normally. You can also do a plunging attack from the ledge they are on to do massive damage to the boss. As a soul level one character I've one-shot this boss before with a plunging attack even.

Don't bother with the Hellkite Drake, you can shoot arrows at the tail of it though for a kind of mediocre sword that becomes garbage when the game gets serious (Sen's Fortress/Anor Londo).

Pinwheel is the boss of the catacombs if you bother to go there, he is the easiest boss in the game.

I'm not telling you how to beat the Capra Demon unless you die once to it already. That boss is an experience.

9. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    So, I started playing DS last Saturday, with my brother sitting beside me to help me, and he gave me EXACTLY the same advice you did. He even said he wouldn't tell me how to kill the Capra Demon unless I tried doing it myself first. :D

I finally got used to the controls now, even though I'm not yet perfect at parrying, but I'll keep trying. I'm on level 14 now, and although my brother warned me against the Black Knight I just went to him, all COME AT ME BRO, and I regretted that decision a couple of moments later. Anyway, it's quite fun, although the game's a real challenge! I was just a little disappointed because I couldn't summon my brother, who had the same level as I did, but wherever we tried to "meet", I never saw his sign.

10. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I think there is a fan mod to allow you to connect with friends who are online, I can't use it though because my games for windows live account is whack.

Also the best way to beat early black knights and even Havel (if you took the thief key) is pyromancy.

The best part about Dark Souls is the challenge, some people give up easy, but trust me there is nothing like rising from the ashes to take down every boss while you are at level one.

If I ever sort out my account stuff it would be great to help you with some bosses as a phantom along with your brother, maybe even duel, or I could invade you for kicks.

11. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    I'm playing the Xbox 360 version, so I don't know if that would work. I was able to see lots of other people to summon, but never my brother - I don't know whether it has to do with different servers or a bad connection, but I'd exclude the latter, as we've never had that problem before (playing in the same house, you know).

12. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Yeah trying to summon friends is the worst. I'm pretty sure I've heard rumors about features being added to Dark Souls 2 to fix that though.

13. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    So, I killed the Taurus Demon at the third attempt - I started with the plunging attack and then threw fireballs at him. Now I'm on the bridge with the Hellkite Drake. I triggered him and went back, so he killed everyone on the bridge. My brother already told me to look for stairs (or a ladder? I don't remember) on the right side of the bridge, which would lead me to a shortcut to the last bonfire.

14. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Spot on, that bridge is a mess though, honestly I've never beaten the Hellkite because it is so annoying to get down and fight too. As a precaution I recommend equipping your best fire resist armor and shield. You might be able to barely survive one flame, if that doesn't work try lighter armor and only sprint there.

15. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Oh boy. I don't really have any good equipment, most of the stuff I use is still the armour I had at the beginning of the game. :S

16. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I don't think you've been given a chance to upgrade stuff yet so it is fine. What level are you? Also as long as you have a shield with some fire resist that could work. Don't go to extreme lengths to tech for this part though, I don't remember having to that much except as a level 1 and to get all the way across the bridge to access a covenant.

It is a good idea to get a feel on equipment with specific resists for later though. Also did you take the thief key as your gift? Because with pyromancy you could try taking on Havel for his ring.

Edit: Actually if you picked pyromancer as your starting class, your armor should have some supremely good fire resist already so that is perfect.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  17. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    I'm around level 20, I think (haven't played in a week), and so far I've only skilled endurance, vitality and attunement. I currently use a Heater Shield, because that was recommended to me.

Yup, I have that key! I just googled Havel. Is that the guy on the bottom of the tower that leads up to the Taurus Demon? Because I thought that was the Black Knight D: I remember trying to fight him and being crushed by a huge club of some kind. D:

18. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Yeah he wields a dragon's tooth and he is a nightmare. He is great for learning how to dodge though. It might be better to come back once you have more attunement and pyromancy though. Unless you want to get lucky with firebombs and backstabs.

Endurance, vitality, and attunement are great for a pyromancer. Pyromancy doesn't scale off your stats so if you really wanted to you could ignore putting points into other stats (how I'm pulling off a level one run). Heater shield isn't bad but it is heavy, if you want a better shield that is OP you could do some exploration and try to wind up with the Grass Crest shield, it would be dangerous though because you would have to sneak through the valley of the drakes.

You should be fine though with lots of vitality and endurance though as far as getting past the hellkite and the drakes in the valley.

19. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Okay, that sounds good. I think I'll keep grinding a bit first, to practice my parrying and backstabbing skills. It certainly can't hurt to learn these things. :D

EDIT: Yeah, turns out that the guy of whom I thought he was the Black Knight is Havel. v__v

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  20. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    So, I'm still trying to kill Havel and I'm not very good at backstabbing. I managed to backstab him a couple of times, thinking "AWESOME, I've got it!" and then I saw that he loses only 5+29 health points, in contrast to the 11 points he loses when I hit him normally. Is that a joke, am I doing something wrong or do you really have to backstab him 50 times until he dies? >_>
    I was on level 28 the last time I tried to kill him, armed with a morning star.