D Day for UK. Anybody voted now?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by azuren82, May 6, 2010.

1. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Okay, at this moment where I'm starting this thread, UK has entered the phase of voting. And not just any kind of political voting, but that which can be termed as the closest race for #10 in recent ages. The people had gone batshit crazy over the failed economy under Brown and now, it seems that the Lib Dems and Conservatives are set to duke it out.

Anyone seen the debate on TV? If so, what do you guys think about it especially when people are going on and on about Nick Cleg's strong showing during that point of time?

And I think there might be the case of a hung parliament like what Elladan had said in a random post recently.

And who can forget about the BNP? But then again, I just can't see them doing anything decent in the elections and it's a good thing given all the bs on the party's assumed racist views.

All in all I think it's a two way race between the Cons and Lib Dems. I just can't see Labour pulling out a miracle.

Also do take note that this topic is also meant for discussions on what you guys will expect after the results are out, be it good or bad. You know, the aftermath and all that stuff.

With that being said though, I wonder if UK will adopt the Euro if the Lib Dems got it's way albeit Nick Cleg did say that such issues will be on UK's own terms.

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    sigh - this was to their big year - the year for the only party that never lied to us and who's members never even tried to cover their image. Sadly the Monster Raving Lunies no longer exist so my vote is missing.

To be honest the leading parties are so similar and so full of lies and half truths that I don't think it really matter which gets voted in. The only major differences will be on which area of the public gets the greater tax increases (tax never goes down) which I suspect is the greater part of many votes. After that coming with the "its a so and so family we always vote for them" and the "I've always voted so and so so I won't be changing" lot.
    BNP will get more votes than normal from postest voters

I'm also sad to see that our parties are slipping to the levels of the US lot - they've given up with empty promises and shifted to a slagging match with the opposition - which of course the media play up and love.

3. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    You're in luck The Monster Raving Loony Party are alive & kicking...

That's mainly because the electorate do not want to know the truth. Example ~ Osborne (Conservatives) say at their conference that there needs to be a period of austerity whilst the national debt is tackled, result Conservatives fall in polls. Lib-Dems say the first 10k of income will be tax free, support increases even though country cannot afford it.

True, I pay a lot of tax and don't have a major issue with that when it's going to better public services. I do have a problem when my money is being used to pay for the estimated 400k extra government workers employed by Labour since 1997. A significant proportion of those are non-producers for the economy. Their pension scheme is totally unaffordable for the nation when at same time many private firms are closing down/reducing the benefits of their schemes.

Can't argue with that, mindless idiots abound. BNP will get votes because they will voice genuine concerns which the mainstream parties are frightened of tackling ~ specifically immigration. I'm sure a significant percentage of those who do vote BNP are doing so in frustration / desperation!

The 'Presidential' style debate is, in my view, inappropriate for the UK system where we vote for our local candidate, not the party leader ('President'). It would have been more useful if a FULL picture of our economy had been released and each party had to explain in detail what they are doing to improve both the economy and public services with figures.

If I was going to guess at the result I'd go for a Lib-Lab coalition. Labour will agree anything to cling onto power. It will not be received well by the markets and I'd expect the pound to plummet along with the nations AAA rating. If Lib-Dem's get their way on the taxation treatment of capital gains (CGT), London's position as a financial centre, especially for the junior companies / markets (AIM, FTSE 350) will be severely damaged. I'm dreading that outcome which would be even worse than a Labour majority. Labour have been a disaster for this country and have spent more than they've received in revenues, every year since 2001.

I've voted.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  4. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    They are?? Why did no one inform me of this sooner!!
    Well too late now.

Aye but there is also the fact that the parties never want us to know the truth of the differences either. And even if they did tell the truth there is nothing to say they would keep their word when in power - this is the big thing I see that is different with the major parties as opposed to some like the BNP. Accepting that they would make a total mess of things and do things in a very inpolite and harsh manner one could at least expect the BNP to keep to some sort of adherance to what they promise they will do when in power.
    And yes I agree I think some people do see them as about the only part with a working backbone whilst many of the others appear to be afraid to make any choices that harm anyone (apart from Joe average that is ;))

Aye I think many people feel the same way - hightax can work provided that people can still afford to live their lives comfortably and when they money does and is seen to go to good public spending. The fingers inthe till problem that government had and the whole expenses issue just highlighted what we all knew was happening - and as we expected they mostly all got away with it as well (I don't see what is wrong with locking the whole lot of them up for a few months - might give some of them a shock they need)

5. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    lol.

I haven't seen any figures yet but it seems it's going to be both interesting and different in the UK. It'll also be Hung, and I don't expect there's much between the three contestants.

Which is really very interesting and I am very curious how the parties will be going about that. The UK doesn't really have a rich tradition of coalitions and opposing politicians working together and all that. Coalitions do give the LibDems a good shot - since I don't see Labour and the Conservatives working together in anything constructive at all.

Ow, and although the BNP seems to have been gathering steam, I don't really worry about them. The only problem with them is that the British political system allows them to exsist for longer then in a more open system.

6. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Okay, so at the moment both Labour and Conservatives are attempting to get the Lib Dems over to their respective sides. What you guys' take on this issue especially given the possible effects coming from a hung parliament? Man, if not for the screwed up state of UK, the whole thing might actually be interesting to watch. No offense meant to Elladan, OR or just about every UK people here.

7. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

We don't... hahahahah i'm just kidding. I really don't know what's going on right now with the election except for the fact that it's a big deal. Can anyone fill me in on it?

8. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Well, apparently, the Cons got the majority of the votes, but the majority ratio isn't enough for David Cameron and co to fomr their own government. Labour came second and the Lib Dems 3rd. Ironically though, it would be the Lib Dems who would decide the fate of the parliament since both Labour and the Cons are trying to get Nick Clegg on their respective sided. Then last time I heard, Brown got booted from No 10 via the combined efforts of Cameron and Clegg. It's either that or Brown stepped down voluntarily. Mind you though that I suspect the former statement might be only that of a liberal views in courtesy of an online friend.