Cyberpunk/Steampunk take on classic tales

Discussion in 'General Books' started by JCNoir, Jan 30, 2012.

1. JCNoir

JCNoir Published Author

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was wondering what people thought about the idea of taking classic concepts and remaking them with new ideas. I am not a huge fan of "remakes" where the same story is told with a new author. Though I enjoy things like Deadtime Stories and horrific takes on the classic fantasy. I have a few published books on Amazon/Kindle under the same (J.C. Noir), though my "Alice" is a continuation after Through The Looking Glass. My take has been very steampunk/cyberpunk influenced with dabs of horror. I have humanized most animal characters, and some have such become monstrosities. Anyone have feelings on this, and if you have found some retold fantasy classics you enjoyed, what were they?

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    If your in the mood for heavy reading look into The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stephenson. It's sort of an elaborate 'coming-of-age' tale set in a postcyberpunk world. Technically it's considered Science Fiction but it reads more like an urban fantasy set in the not so distant future. Stephenson uses classic tropes but gives everything a dirty mechanized feel. The story revolves around an outlawed book that almost seems to have magical powers, these powers are of course not magic... just very advanced technology.