Crouching tiger , Hidden Dragon

Discussion in 'General Movies' started by VB Nomad Grey, Oct 1, 2003.

1. VB Nomad Grey

VB Nomad Grey Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, this is the best movie ever, if you havent seen it you deserve to die a painful death in your sleep!

2. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I loved this movie. Classy, elegant, beautiful, amazing fight scenes - just a brilliant movie.

But if anyone buys the DVD, please please PLEASE promise me something - by default, the Aussie-region DVD is set to English language. This is terrible and ruins the movie.
    Go to the effort of watching it in ChineseMandarin language, with English sub-titles. You MUST watch a foreign movie with the original actors' voices and read the sub-titles, otherwise it ruins it completely.

3. Eàmanë

Eàmanë formally Nevaeh

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I saw it. ^you are right...i can't watch foreign movies unless they are in subtitles. It bugs me otherwise. :)

I liked it. It was cool.

4. Broknpotre

Broknpotre I know kung fu...

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Although, Michelle Yeoh's Mandarin is apparently pretty bad. I don't speak it myself, but from talking to people that do, it was like listening to Jackie Chan speaking English. I thought that was amusing. :)

But still, she has a very nice voice, so even if her accent is funky, I would have to agree that the subtitles give you more than watching it dubbed.

5. Case

Case Warg rider of the 4th age

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is interesting to see different opinions....because I hated Hated HATED that movie. The fighting, while interesting, seemed a knock-off of the original Matrix too often.

It had it's interesting points, but man it just galled me. Maybe because I'm a sucker for more upbeat endings....call me a sap I guess. :halo:

6. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Er, last time I checked, the Matrix was supposed to be from a kung fu comic book, or something, so the matrix is a knock off of this type of movie.

I loved this movie! I keep trying to get my mom to watch it, but she won't. And I agree about the dubbing. I always try to watch foreign language movies in the original language.

7. Aragorn Elessar

Aragorn Elessar Envinyatar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Case, you speak of what you do not know. Like Doleniel said, the fight scenes in The Matrix were derived from Hong Kong action movies. And Yun Wo-ping, the fight choreographer for both, is the master of the genre.

In fact, for me (someone from Hong Kong), the fights in all the Matrix movies were too rigid and lacks any sort of fluidity and grace and confidence that CTHD captures so beautifully. CTHD's fight scenes are the epitome such sequences.

While Yun Wo-ping worked on both, the action in CTHD are on an entirely different level.

8. Case

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, my bad. I just figured because the Matrix came out first and all...

I'm obviously a little too stoopid for this forum. Sorry.

9. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    ^Don't think that, Case, and don't apologise. Everyone makes mistakes, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Mubu, we have the DVD, and I didn't even see an option to watch it in english *lol* Mebbe I was subconsciously deliberately not looking for it. But it seemed to me the default setting was the original stuff with subs. *shrugs* Anyway, I agree. I can't stand dubbed versions of anything. Well... mebbe with the exception of Neon Genesis Evangelion, but that's for different reasons, and going OT.

I thought CTHD was good. Loved some of the costumes, and the Green Destiny. Michelle Yeoh bugged me for some reason. Mebbe the mandarin, hehe. She's a cantonese speaker, if I remember correctly. Surely they could have found someone else to play her role? *sigh*

10. Case

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, rough day here and I feel lousy both physically and mentally. I'm going to sign off till I feel better.

11. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    No need to say sorry Case, a lot of people that I've met here (in the US) thought that CTHD was a rip off of The Matrix, but fail to realize that it's Chinese matrial arts (for the most part) that the Matrix movies were using, and the CTHD is well... an ancient (not that ancient actually, it was the Tsing Dynasty, lasted 400 so years until the early 1900's) Chinese action movie.

I didn't like Michelle Yeoh's performance that much, and yes a lot was down to the fact that she had to pretend to speak Northern Mandarin (so is Chow Yun Fat, if you can tell the difference, they were both trying hard to speak *proper* mandarin, while both being native Cantonese speakers).

And a little note... those flying, if you can call it that, is not "flying," but it's a legendary way of carrying one's weight, shifting your balance, weight, knowing where to place your weight, and lifting up your inner energy (chi) so that your energy isn't going down as gravity pulls it, but lifting it up and making yourself much lighter and being able to jump high and long distance. This takes a lot of practice, and you can see that Chow Yun Fat can do that a lot faster, higher, and farther than the Zhang Ziyi character. And on the reverse side of this, you can see that Chow can stay put and steady on the bamboo (weighing his chi downwards to anchor himself) despite Zhang's many efforts to try to tremple him off the bamboo.

And this is not all fantasy. Modern day there're inner martial arts masters (such as tai chi, which focuses more on the inner flow of energy than purely physical skills) who can do that to a certain extend (not so much going up, but staying put steadily), and in fact a film making friend of my parents', when he was filming something in the Forbidden City in Beijing, theft occured one night, and they rush to see what happened when they heard the noise, all they could see were two dark shadows flying onto the roof and sped away, on foot, much like what the movies portray those ancient masters does (I'm not making this up).

Hm... seemed a bit off topic, but that just came to my mind, hope at least some of you find it interesting :)

12. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I thought it was :) Thanks for the info.

13. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Wow, cool.

I want to learn Tai Chi. . .

14. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Oh i LOVE CTHD, its amazing. It seems alot of people dislike it, claiming it has "no story" and the like. I dont see where they get that from.
    The fight scenes are just amazing, especially the one in the bar and the second last fight (in the dojo)
    I finally got my girlfriend to watch it the other day, and she actually liked it.

15. shaiel

shaiel Chumai Tardaad

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    great movie!!!!!!!! i have to go out and buy it. :) whee!

this movie was so beautiful, dignified, graceful... it blew me away.

16. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    If you are patient enough, try the "Once upon a time in China" Trilogy. Better fight scenes, a decent story and Jet Li... the cameras arent quite as good so if you need the Hollywood gloss it can be annoying.

17. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Ooo, Once Upon a Time in China is on a whole other level in terms of the action, because you have Jet Li, and he's not just fighting normal American stuntmen (which is the case in his new movies, but not to talk down on the US stunt people, but they're just not the same), but he's doing it with real martial artists, and you're just in awe of their speed and grace and confidence of their moves.

In Crouching Tiger, on the other hand, only Yeoh was a martial artist and knew real kung fu, the others were (as always) the result of Yun Woo Ping choreograph and training.

18. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Not to get too far off subject but I havent seen part 4-6 or OUATI China ... have you... are they worth getting?

19. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hm... I'm not too sure, there're so many of them, I can't remember exactly which one I've seen, especially if they were not released for the US in the same order as they were in Hong Kong. I think I've seen all those that starred Jet Li... I think I've seen one that starred Donnie Yen.

20. Heinu Sedai

Heinu Sedai New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The most beatiful movie I have ever seen. And the fighting. Incredible.