Creation vs. Evolution

Discussion in 'Polls' started by RayCaptain, Feb 4, 2007.

?

Creation vs. Evolution

1. Creation

23 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. Evolution

55 vote(s)
    64.7%
  3. I don't know

7 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Tyrannosaurus was known to be a predator. You just have to google it: http://www.google.be/#hl=nl&source=...=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=8c248dd5cad92b65

Its strong legs indicate actually that it was a fast runner. And you can read about its perfect vision here: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Sight...ex+vision+was+among+nature's+best-a0148185715

I'm not going to elaborate on it more. I don't think this will sway you anyway. Not trying to convert you or anything. But this is general knowledge if you are into dinosaurs.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  2. End Game

End Game New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I personally think there should be a middle option because while there is evidence of evolution, there had to have been some starting point from which things evolved. I don't think the Big Bang Theory explains everything.

3. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    If you want to go on and on about tracing the starting point, then it's pointless b/c it like A created B, A was created by C, C was created by *insert anything*. The whole thing would be going in and endless cycle, which is something that no human being would be glad to embrace given our obsession to prove things right till the very end. That's also why Christians believe creationism. God has been there all the while. As what was being said in the Bible, "I am the Alpha and Omega. The beginning and the end" ofc atheists like Anakin won't be able to accept it, but I can't do anything abt it if he truly feel this way.

4. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Lol ^_^ It's been so much time since I've been in a thread like this... Over the years, I've collected sort of alternative theory, pretty much on the scraps of what I seem to think is the truth and evidence etc etc. And it plays out something like this... Well... Let me speak a few questions for you all, both evolutionist and creationist, to chew on and whatever... Please please, think about this...

If there is a God (everyone still following me?) and he is as large, infinite and powerful as everyone truly believes, me included, then would his words (which he used to speak the universe into existance) not be a very big bang? You see what I'm at?

Also, for the categories of evolution and how it would be impossible for God to make humans only 6 days after the creation of the universe. I believe that God's 'days' could be a very very large ammount of time compared to human's concept of time. Therefore, with this in mind, it is entirely possible for those billions of years to take place and still be only 7 of God's "days".

Again, just a theory that I've taken from the scraps of what seem to make sense to me. Truely, I believe science is working furiously to disprove the Bible and all other forms of holy text, not that it's their mission but it just so happens this way; however, they are simply working towards what the Bible already states. Working together and don't even know it is how to put it bluntly...

PS: I'm sure there are holes in my theory the size of Texas but you know ^_^ It's Ray, what do you expect?

5. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Well 'days' is a term of how humans measure time. Why would he try to confuse us with using the same term, which we invented first. Then say his days are different in length if he actually helped to write the people. And evidence already proves against that God was involved in writing the Bible in the first place.

6. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Well, from the Christian dogma, God sees a day just like a thousand years and vice versa. I think that's where ray got his theory. And I'm not too sure abt the Bible being man written, but at the very least in terms of Christian teachings, the Bible was actually written by ppl inspired by the spirit of God. Ditto for the Quran as well albeit I suspect the more extreme stances on life and religion in it's passages might be a work of some random nutjob rather than Mohamed. -.-

7. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    well the day and a thousand years thing is kinda the way when you measure a length for moving a table, does it matter the difference between a millimeter and a nanometer? despite the difference of several orders of magnitude? can you even tell without instruments?

God's so big, the thinking goes, a million, billion years is still just as insignificant as a single day. since His timescale is eternity. from negative infinity to positive infinity. ANYTHING's going to look tiny on that scale.

8. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Well, exactly what God means by the 1 day-1000 years stuff is most likely used to refer his omnipotent nature. That's the best I can come up with. -.-

9. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Then why give something to compare at all. You're giving it a scale of 168 hours. That's how long it took to create the world. And that says the world... Not the universe or even possibly the universes. Why keep us in ignorance of other things he created in this universe.

10. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    possibly because the people He told to write the book were not even capable of comprehending the scale on which he was talking? tell the next old shephard out in the middle of the desert what you just said. would he understand a thing you said? or any of his shepherd and excaped slave friends that read those words?

11. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Or were these just storytellers of a fantasy that is teaching us lessons of life and morals with metaphors and trying to bring out their own belief, just as the the Romans and Greeks have done and many relgions before them. Were they just trying to describe how they thought the world they lived in was created because they had no understanding, or barely understanding how it actually happened. We now know how the earth itself was shaped, originally two planets crashing into each other, shaping into one planet basically. It's not hard to understand even for a sheppard. But how could they have known, without the tools or a supernatural creature to inform them.

12. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    i would like to dispute the accuracy of the above statement. Your only method of "knowing" is through mineral, geological and simulation-based evidence. The former two have alternate interpretations and may be disputed in a scientific forum. At the moment said THEORY is not considered FACT and is in fact disputed in the scientific community. Said simulation-based evidence is hypothetical and, despite the amount of information and data placed into the supercomputer, remains a human-made human-formulated simulation and as such may only be placed under consideration as a possibility, not a fact.

Quoting an already-written refutation of the Nebular Hypothesis to which you refer,

In fact, the British Journal for the History of Science also lists several criticisms for the theory. Said journal may be accessed here: http://www.jstor.org/pss/4025557

Further criticism may be found with a simple google search. I invite you to start such a search and participate in such scientific debates yourself.

13. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Everything that is studied in science is a theory. Gravity is a theory even though we know it exists. But what I said about the formation of the Earth is a well supported theory and there is more support for this theory than an all powerful creator...

14. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    As I have said, I do not dispute whether the theory was supported or not. I simply dispute your calling it a known FACT.

15. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Well tbh I wasn't trying to say it was a fact in the first place. Maybe it was just the wrong choice of words when I said 'we know...'.

16. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    The only reason why creationism is given any validity is because people have believed in it for so long, and people are both afraid of change and frighteningly capable of rationalizing the familiar.

If nobody had thought of creationism until now and somebody proposed the idea, nobody would take them seriously at all.

Although the idea that god started the evolutionary process is technically impossible to disprove, the burden of evidence falls upon the one making claims, not the other way around. We don't really know what started the evolutionary process or life at all on earth for that matter, but claiming that god did it is presumptuous. It's also kinda elitist to think that the entity that created everything created us in his own image and that we are his chosen people.

17. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    give me a good scientific answer to how the Universe started that doesn't violate the law of conservation of energy, and i might start listening.

and don't give me the "it was always there" thing, because that's exactly what lots of other religions say too about their gods or worlds.

18. Kelmourne

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    We don't know the answer. Nobody does. Religion is there for people who can't accept that fact.

19. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    religion currently provides the only answer to that question that doesn't involve "i don't know".

so many people turn to religion. The Pope actually agrees with evolutionary and big bang theory, if you never heard, the only caveat being the existance of a God to start it all and basically say "let there be light".

20. Kelmourne

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Exactly, many people aren't content with not knowing something. They need answers to everything and cannot possibly accept that we as a human race haven't figured everything out.