Costume Help Desk

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by doleniel, Jun 26, 2004.

1. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Hey, people, if you have any questions about costumes, ask them here! How they are made, what patterns can be adapted for replica use, what materials are good, whether something is period appropriate, or anything else related to costumes, even where you can buy good ones. I wish to be a costume designer and so I have loads of resources that I wish to share. So ask away!

Note: I don't know very much about leather- or metalworking, so if you want anything other than whether or not something is period appropriate, you will have to take your question to those forums.

2. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You know Eowyn's green dress in TTT? Do you have any idea how I could go about making that?

3. doleniel

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    The best pattern to use for this would be McCalls 4490 view D, as the only changes needed are to add the front panel and the collar. I will post pictures in the gallery to make the instructions clearer. The dress fabric and also the sleeve contrats will be the dark green. The sleeve lining will be the light green. *Note: you will need additional lining, I will put the yardage for that in the pictures.* Let's start with the skirt panel:
    1. Take pattern piece 9 and mark on it approximately where the belt will rest on your hips.
      2. Cut out all pattern pieces as per instructions omitting piece 11 (we will take care of this later when we do the collar. keep the pattern piece handy, though.).
      3. On the fabric of piece number nine, mark the belt line.
      4. Repeat step three with some of the additional lining fabric. This piece will be referred to as the front lining.
      5. On pattern piece nine, make a line 5/8 of an inch above the belt line to add seam allowance. Cut on this line and cut this piece from the remaining lining. This piece will be referred to as the panel.
      6. Take the front and the front lining and pin the right sides together along the left side ot the pattern below the belt line and also along the bottom of the skirt. Stitch. Make sure you have the front on the bottom and the front lining on top, otherwise you will be sewing along the wrong edge of the fabric At the belt line, clip close to the stitching. Turn right sides out and press seams.
      7. Pin along the other edges of the pieces and stitch.
      8. With the lining side up, pin the panel to the lining right sides together at the belt line and stitch make sure the seam allowance is above the belt line
      9. Pin panel to front unit along the right side and stitch.
      10. Along right side, stitch the front to the front side as you usually would.
      11. Along the left side, pin the top half of the front side to the front unit and the bottom half of the front side to the panel. Stitch. Make sure you do not catch the bottom half of the skirt unit in the seam. If you do, you will not be able to pull it to the side.
      12. Complete the rest of the gown as directed, excepting those steps involving the neck binding and those involving the lacing band. The lacing band should be extended to accomidate the collar and thenv should be completed as per instructions after the collar is attatched.

Now, we will deal with the collar. For this, you will need an additional fabric that I will refer to as the contrast fabric. Once again, I will put the yardage for this in the pictures. I will also post the additional pattern pieces in the gallery. You will also need some wide brocade ribbon
    1. Fold contrast right sides together so that the selvages are along one edge and there is afold along the other.
      2. Matching the straight of grain, cut four of collar back and four of collar front, following the diagram.
      3. Cut four of each piece of fusible interfacing and attatch to the fabric pieces.
      4. Right side together, sew the collar back pairs along the top edge. Turn right sides out and press
      5. Do the same with each pair of collar fronts, also sewing along the middle edge.
      6. Sew collar fronts to collar backs at sides, right sides together.
      7. On inside of collar front, attatch ribbon to the top and middle edges of the piece, mitreing the corners.
      8. Follow directions for gathering the top edge of the dress. Gather until the width between the marked squares is the same as the distance between the squares on pattern piece 11.
      9. Pin collar unit to top edge of dress right sides together and stitch. Press the seam open.
      10. Apply the rest of the ribbon over the seam between the dress and the collar.
      11. Turn down the corners of the collar center and press very lightly

I hope this helps you out. As I said, I will post pictures to help clarify. If you have any questions about any of the terms I used or are just confused, feel free to ask me.

*Note: I will not have the pictures up until later tonight, I have things I need to do around the house. When I do get them up, I will post a link.*

Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  4. Tamzen

Tamzen New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    If you are interested in LOTR costumes you really need to check out http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/. Her main site has links to things lke CostumeCon and lots of other costuming info. The mailing list for the LOTR cosuming is at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOTR_Costume/

5. doleniel

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Alleycatscratch does have alot of good resources, but for those that need specific instructions on how exactly one would go about modifying a pattern, I would not recommend them. They are geared more towards the experienced sewer, so they don't have much more than general suggestions for patterns you could use. If you are an experienced sewer and can figure out how to do things on your own, it is a wonderful site, but if you need a little more help, then it is probably not the best place to go.

One of the wonderful things about Alleycatscratch is that thay have links to where you can buy the exact trims and fabrics used in the movie. They tend to be very expensive, but if you are willing to shell out the cash, you can make very accurate recreations.

6. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Doleniel!!! :D

7. doleniel

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I now have the pictures up in my gallery. Just go to the gallery, click on "member galleries" and then click on "dloeniel's gallery" Make sure you read my descriptions on the two pattern pieces. Some are hard to see, sorry. I scanned them as nicely as I could. Also, I have made some vital changes in the instructions in my earlier post, so make sure you check them.

Edit: I would love to see any costumes that anyone has made, even if thay have nothing to do with this thread.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  8. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I'm thinking about joining the SCA. What would be an easy period costume to make? Preferably, Medieval English.

9. doleniel

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    The SCA has a very simple costume pattern postedhere Simple patterns such as this can be used to very good effect by layering pieces of different length and with different sleeves

If you would like something that is a bit better fitted and has better instructions, I must again recommend McCalls 4490 any of the views, without my earlier modifications. This is a little bit harder, but would give good results. If you want something in between the two, I would recommend looking at the patterns for passion play costumes. Anything that does not look overtly Middle Eastern is probably medieval. People began depicting scenes from the Bible in the Middle ages, and those were the types of clothes they wore. Since the great artists of the renaissance did not know that people did not dress that way 1500 years earlier, they assumed that was how they dressed, and so now biblical characters are often portrayed in early medieval dress.

If you do use 4490, You might add a veil; do do so, simply hem around a large rectangle of lightweight fabric and wrap/drape it around your head. Also you could add a simple girdle/belt by taking a long piece of cord, doubling it over, and looping it around your waist, looping the two loose ends throught the loop created by doubling.

Also, if you wish to look authentic in color and material choice, use natural fibers and do not choose colors that are overly garish. Also, velvets and brocades were not in use at all during the early middle ages, they did not come into use until the Tudor period.

10. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Thanx for the help, Dol. :)

Also, would a woman not of the higher classes wear any embroidery. I know how to embroider, and wonder if it would be appropriate to have it on a simple outfit.

11. doleniel

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    A woman of the middle classes may have had some simple embroidery, but nothing particularly complicated, and probably only on her best gown, as she simply would not have had the time to do it on all of them, few though she may have had. More common was a narrow border of a contrasting color around the sleeves or neck opening. Also, a woman of any class lower than upper middle would never have worn a mantle (a large, semi-circular cloak). During some periods, it was illegal for one not of the upper classes to wear a mantle, so I would advise against it.

12. doleniel

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    For those that are interested in the Eowyn gown I posted on earlier, the pattern pieces and picture instructions have had to be moved. I will put the link up as soon as I have moved them, and apologize for any inconvenience.

13. Aragorn rocks

Aragorn rocks New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I would like to know where I can buy a predator costume from the new movie alien vs. predator. I want the full costume I know very many places that have masks and the gloves but nothing else. Help please

14. Aragorn rocks

Aragorn rocks New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    also if you know any places with extra accesories let me know please

Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  15. doleniel

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I would not know where you could get the full costume unless they auction off the ones from the movie over the internet. All of the costume websites I have looked at have only the mask and gloves. I would offer some suggestions for putting together a costume, but I have not seen any good screen shots of the. . .um. . .species, and I don't intend to see the movie. Sorry I can't help you out there.

16. Aragorn rocks

Aragorn rocks New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Do you know anything about basketball uniforms?

17. doleniel

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Not particularly, no.

This is a bad time coming up to Halloween planning time and such, but I will have to put this thread on hold until further notice. For more info, see my thread in general talk.

18. doleniel

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I'm back, thread re-opened.

19. Dark_Raven7000

Dark_Raven7000 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm interested in the Arm Armor that they took off the dead Knight in the movie "A Knight's Tale".

I like how the metal arm armor is attached to the padded material and how it goes on like a Vest/Coat and then how it can be tied in the front with a shoestring piece of leather.

If anyone can help me figure out how to put this together I would appreciate it. Also anyone here wanting to create a Medieval Pavilion out of a Canopy. Make sure you get a Canopy with legs that are big around and very strong. Do not use the Easy-Ups. They look cheesy and the roof design is all wrong.

I got a Canopy a couple of years ago from Wal-Mart that will work perfectly. It is 11 x 11 ft. so there will be alot of room when and if I put canvas walls on it. Only use lightweight canvas
    as most canopies aren't this strong. The Canopy I got has a perfect pitch on the roof, problem is the company that made them no longer makes them. So you will have to search for a new one.

There is a company called "King Canopy" or something. If you go to the online "Target" store and look under "Garden Canopy". You will find a really nice Canopy that I wish I had. The only thing I don't like about it is that the Misquito netting is sewn into the roof. If I got this canopy I would take the netting out and figure a way to put it on like shower curtains, then take some lightweight canvas (waterproofed) and fix some walls that can be attached like shower curtains. This is the only Canopy I've seen that is worth buying to make a Medieval Pavilion.

One more thing. For those who can't get enough of playing in Medieval times and would like to do it year round as a Hobby. There is a group called the "SCA" or "Society for Creative Anachronism".

Dark_Raven7000

20. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I've seen the movie but can't quite remember the armour piece in question. Can't one of your SCA heavies help you with the armour?

This post would probably have better luck in the General Weapons & Armour section.

In fact, I think I'll move it there now. Armour and a tent aren't really costumes.