Cosmology: Dawn OOC

Discussion in 'RPG and OOC RPG Discussions' started by wanderingmagus, May 25, 2018.

1. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus King Anakin's Royal Advisor, Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +627 / 1 / -1
    Well, Mogan already created the Dwarves first, although they're still asleep until the appointed time. Loosat has his Tarjinal/Godpikes but I classify them as demigods/"monsters", and same with Mogan's Elementals and Salamanders and, I presume, Eldest Dragons (Z'ozal's corruption of the Salamanders). I'd also classify Modaara's Changelings as either lesser gods or demigods, and the First Vampire as a demigod/monster.

The problem with introducing mortals right now is that there's no animals for them to interact with yet, unless you want a second creation story where mortals really do rule the world by right because they made the animals. I'd personally prefer mortals coming rather late in the creation cycle, being so fragile and dependent on existing materials to survive, unlike, say, Elementals or Dragons. My suggestion would be to create demigods/"monsters" first, to include spirits and lesser gods, like phoenixes or the First Wolf, First Cat, etc, the sort that can talk intelligently and can create lakes with their footsteps. Also create the Moon, which tends to be extremely important in most myths - Thrulf could do it, or the Wanderer could do it, or Modaara could do it, anyone really. Then have Z'ozal's corruption turn some of the demigods into the first monsters, or Its unspeakable spirit and presence cause monsters to spring forth spontaneously, maybe out of the muck he left behind when he first showed up. Those First Monsters would be the sort that later become the "dug too deep" monsters and "things waiting in the Beyond on the other side of the Outer Gates".

Somewhere in there we can have some children of the First Animals either become mute and unintelligent or just refuse to talk in the presence of mortals, for one reason or another. Either at the same time or separately, we can have mortals show up, either as friends and allies of the First Animals like the traditional Elves, or neutral/enemies like the traditional human. Z'ozal's corruption can then turn both animals and humans into Lesser Monsters, like goblins, orcs, ghouls, banshees, etc.

How's that?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +398 / 1 / -1
    Yeah that makes sense. On the topic of creating animals, I was thinking Modaara could create birds. @Midnattblod any objections to that?

Maybe sometime soon (but after the creation of animals) I will make a new god that will create the Faerie courts, with creatures like Pixies, Satyrs, Dryads, etc...

3. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Royal Wolf of Shadow

Ratings:
    +778 / 4 / -1
    I have no problem with any of it. I'm gonna focus on creating the wolves first, and after that, I can maybe dabble in mortals. Maybe a race similar to what is commonly referred to as wood elves.

4. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +627 / 1 / -1
    I've had the Wanderer give/offer Modaara authority over Notes, Musical Notation and Musical Magic, and brought up the possibility of Mortals, while introducing the concept of Animals and Spirits as possible future creations. I'm also proposing that he have a talk with Thrulf about that.

Maybe the wolf's howl will be a joint creation or something?

5. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +778 / 4 / -1
    hmm, I like that idea. I also did a thing, a touch later than anticipated, but I did a thing regardless lol

6. Kelmourne

Ratings:
    +398 / 1 / -1
    So the Aviiae that Modaara just created look like a hawk made of pure void, and they don't have feathers so they look abnormally smooth. Wasn't sure how to say that in character since birds haven't been made yet.

BTW I might start a band IRL called 'Modaara'

7. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +627 / 1 / -1
    So, the Wanderer's not really going to do anything on her own other than make more roads, until mortals get either created or woken up.

In the meantime, should I do something like introduce a Z'ozal-corrupted Dragon, or something? Or have sickly things crawl forth from the bile spewed from the maw of Z'ozal, like insects and mold and fungus and worms and bacteria and such, pestilence and disease, which Thrulf can later purify or otherwise tame back into harmony with nature?

I could also have the Wanderer teaching magic and glyphs to Salamanders and Elementals and Dragons and Godpikes, and also hand out Wisdom and Knowledge and Sentience like free candy. I could wake up the trees, creating Ents and Dryads and other spirits of the earth. If Modaara doesn't mind, I could also wake up the Wind itself, creating Wind elementals and spirits, the Sylphs for the Wind and the Undyne for the Waters (assuming Loosat doesn't get an aneurysm from it).

8. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +778 / 4 / -1
    I'm ok with those ideas. sound good to me

9. Kelmourne

Ratings:
    +398 / 1 / -1
    Just to clarify, the Aviiae are immortal, and will be the inspiration for birds which will be created soon.

We would need to create Dragons first.
    I like this idea alot.
    It might be more interesting if the wanderer gave that power to the other gods, though perhaps in a more limited form, and then we could each give sentience to creatures that fit with our gods.
    I think it would make more sense for Modaara to do those things. As for Sylphs and Undines, maybe they should be Fey in this setting, and thus created by the Chief Deity of the Fae, whenever they get made?

Also, I think the Wanderer is a prime candidate for creating humans.

10. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +627 / 1 / -1
    invented a bunch of invertebrates. Thrulf and Modaara are free to take and choose as they wish. Modaara could take all the crickets, grasshoppers, cicadas, etc if he wants.

11. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +778 / 4 / -1
    My little sanctuary so to speak, the blight didn't affect it right?

12. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +627 / 1 / -1
    It's a divine sanctuary created specifically by you and for you and your daughter, who is your flesh and blood. As stated in the Sign Up and Info thread, in the Laws of Gods (basic sanity rules) 1, the Law of Divine Dominion: "No god may use their power to alter the mind or dominion of another god, unless by the will and decision of that altered god or player, in or out of character."

I admit as GM I had to do a bit of fudging to get Z'ozal's real danger fully across, but since Thrulf hasn't specifically claimed all forests and plains as his own, unlike Loosat or Mogan, I allowed some of the further border areas to be affected by the Blight. I then moderated the effect greatly by having the Wanderer more or less "tame" what she could of the Blight's creatures and creations, as a free gift to Thrulf. You're going to have to actually go out there and teach the new creatures what-for, however.

And remember, she didn't tame ALL the creatures. The Nameless still lurk in the depths of the forests and swamps, in the tall grass, in the caves and the depths of lakes and rivers, and in the darkness of the moonless night. Unless and, I assume, until Thrulf or some other god creates the Moon, the Nameless are going to keep terrorizing anything that lives and breathes in the shadows of night.

And if you didn't catch the hint, the "mockeries of <trees>" are mushrooms. Glowing mushrooms, of whatever size you feel like, and you're free to claim them or use them or destroy them as you choose.

13. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +778 / 4 / -1
    ok, cool. I'll come up with a few things over the next day or two, and hopefully make a post no later than Saturday.

14. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +627 / 1 / -1
    awesome! feel free too if you want to use any of the Nameless (remember, they're Nameless and thus un-Shaped, so they can be whatever shape or form you want them to be; they're stand-ins for the Legendary Monsters that will one day feature in myths).

Basically we're in the "time before Mortals", when there's plants and air and weather and a world and stars, but the Moon has not yet been made, the Sun isn't sentient yet, and most animals haven't yet been created, not even the Fathers and Mothers of Animals, although Mother Wolf was just born (I assume) and the Mother of Spiders and Worm of the World have just been tentatively Named. The size and shape of all the creatures thus far Named are also more or less fuzzy.

I greatly encourage some truly out-there creatures and scenarios to fill our future legends with.

15. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +778 / 4 / -1
    I'll keep it in mind

16. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +627 / 1 / -1
    also, Thrulf can experiment with awakening and giving voice to the trees - ents and dryads and such.

17. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +778 / 4 / -1
    Ok. I'll have to come up with a way to make that happen

18. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +627 / 1 / -1
    created the Titans, the monsters of old.

19. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I have just made a sign-up post with Elineth, Spirit Sister, who will give spirits to all things from her own form. I have yet to write the bio post, but this could start as the Sun gaining a spirit (not quite sentience maybe).

20. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +627 / 1 / -1
    Awesome! :D welcome to Cosmology!