Core Discussion

Discussion in 'Kung Fu Kult Guild' started by I. R. Shogun, Apr 24, 2006.

1. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    In any endevor there are certain things that people like to discuss more than others. Here is where we will discuss the principles and techniques we enjoy about any given fighting style, as well as ask for advise on how to further our technique in a given area. For instance, I can't do spinning heel kicks. Any other type I can do, but I don't spin too well. In addition you can add what styles you are versed in/would like to learn more about. Even if you haven't studied any martial art, we still welcome your input and are fully willing to answer any questions.

2. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I would like to learn a flexible martials arts, that combines speed with power. I.e a faster attack increases its strength. But I need to increase my flexibility.

I am going to try and see some ninjutsu classes that are near me. As for what I can do. Well I can perform scissor kicks that reach a good height. Although at the moment recovery is not so good...again when I split in mid air, I still need to get used to the amount of flexing.

3. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Taijutsu/ninjutsu classes are kind of tough to find, but they are out there, even if you can't find them there are an abundance of books on the topic, I personally recommend Ninjutsu: Shadowhand by Dr. Haha Lung & Christopher Prowant, it gives a brief history of all the groups that inspired ninja fighting arts as well as tips on how to avoid being seen and a detailed look at several techniques.

As for flexibility, one very good art to study for that is Tae Kwon Do(it's the style Van Damme demonstrates in his flicks). Or if you don't want to study too many styles at once simply repeating a high kicking motion will eventually increase your flexibility, but try to keep your kicks varied between both legs or you'll end up like me, massive power and flexibility in my right leg, decent height but no force ebhind my left.

Me personally, I'm looking for tips on how to increase my punching power, hitting my door over and over again is kind of monotinous, and pretty painful after awhile, but I can't find a good sparring partner to practice with

4. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    well I try and streth alot. I hold the position where it hurts most, for a while each time to increase stretching, but I will try that.

One certain way of increasing the power of your strike is to apply less power from the shoulder and more for the elbow. Although this is used as a travelling effect sort of this. It's use to affect things for a distance, so I reckong it is used to get a bit more internal than external damage. But I only read this in a fighting manga (It is fairly realiable, since its quite indepth), so it may not work. But you can try it out.

5. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    seems like a reasonable idea, and yeah, stretches are good too, they help with holding a stance more than anything else though

6. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Well...holding a stance is useful i.e. for mutiple kicks to the midsection or head. Plus it improves strength aswell. Holding one leg out whilst standing is more hardwork than people thing. It looks easy in movies, but it isn't :p

7. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    yeah, I've noticed that, another one that can be tough to hold is the horse riding position, it takes it out of you right quick

8. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    horse riding position?

9. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    It's one of the Shoalin training techniques. you stand with your feet shoulder length apart and then arch your knees as theough you were riding a horse. If you bend them to the proper angle you'll start to feel it right away in your quads. it helps increase leg strength and improve balance

10. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Oh...I do that....the toilet seat position. As though you are sitting on the toilet.

Yea....you do feel the strain a lot....I can do max about 90 seconds....then my legs just quiver too much lol, and I might collapse on my ass :p

11. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    yeah, my legs start to quiver real fast to, but I keep in the stance until I can't anymore, when I do it anyways, haven't put it in my regular routine yet

12. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I do it everytime I do my major stuff...which is usually every other day. It's good work, it does increase strength....I find it easier to perfom the thrusting kicks.

13. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Found this really interesting video to watch.

14. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    awesome vid, specially like the powerbomb at the end, not many people get up after one of thems

15. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    No, the powerbomb was the second last one. Although the guy was being an idiot, letting himself get powerbombed, most guys can counter it easily, that's why you don't see it much.

As for the suplex....I think that guy most likely died, or atleast paralysed...he was going to land on his neck.

16. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    that is usually how you land when being suplexed, although not normally on that solid a floor. But yeah, powerbombs are hard to pull off. Also, today I met a guy who could very quickly become a really successful UFC fighter. He's a big guy, but he moves as fast as most guys my size(I'm a light weight, he's a cruiserweight) he already knows how to throw a real good punch and he can do some decent takedowns, so when I make my first couple movies I'm thinking about seeing if he'll play a role as one of the main villains

17. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I wish I could be in your film....that would have been fun :S

Yea...but that's a successful suplex....its quite hard to pull one of....you usually land on your side really hard on your shoulder, and basically your arm is trapped underneath and the focrse of your arm into your side is quite painful.

18. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    yeah, being a lightweight I tend to stick to sweeps and regular takedowns over slams, seeing as I can't usually lift my opponents

19. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    It's hard lifting anyone....even a kid of say 5 or 6 is less than half my age, but picking them up like you do in the movies say with one hand, or quickly with both (holding near the collar), is not as easy as it seems.

20. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    well usually when I tried slams I'd go for the waist and try to hoist them, sometimes it worked but I couldn't force them down before they blocked it so I just stopped