Cooling a Laptop? Help please O.o

Discussion in 'General Computers' started by Alchemist, May 20, 2011.

1. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    oh ok , well if you call some Mr.Physicist it feels like in a dissing way - so I sensed it as argumentative.

2. Mad hatter

Mad hatter Much more... Muchier

Ratings:
    +227 / 4 / -0
    My apologies, I was too lazy to type Anonymous (and didn't want to spell it wrong). Mixed wires, sorry buddy.

3. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    If you're feeling heat coming out of the laptop, I wouldn't necessarily be alarmed by that. That's what the cooling system is meant to do is push the hot air out.

That said...

I have this laptop: http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-GT70-0ND-444US-17-3-Inch/dp/B009H8RG0S

I bought one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZMF27G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the three fan model, which is out of stock right now. It has some nice advantages. The fans can be positioned anywhere on the base. The base elevates the laptop, keeping the factory intakes clear as well. You can also use the supplied band to tuck your laptop inside the platform when traveling, and hook the fans to the outside (or carry them separately.)

The one major disadvantage is you can't really put it on your lap without placing a board or something under it because the fans are exposed on the bottom and our bodies are lumpy ;) and won't allow the platform to sit flat on your lap. The fans will inevitably make contact with your legs, etc.

4. Mad hatter

Ratings:
    +227 / 4 / -0
    That's a smexy laptop!

And that cooling rack is quite a nice idea too. Being able to position them to fit your individual laptop. mine is a simple 2 fan elevated stand, but alas, the heat is beginning to become a problem. It hasn't happened since I began to play guild wars 2. I'm talking Skyrim (Ultra High Graphics + 100's of mods), Call of duty, Battlefield, All of the newer games, Just GW2. Im in the process of looking into other means of cooling, whether that be a better external cooler, or internal, but so far have come accross nothing.

5. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    It's honestly the most expensive thing I've ever paid cash for. It's about the best new thing I ever bought. I've never bought a new car. Anyways, I probably would have waited to buy it, because I had a laptop at the time and it was fine for surfing the web etc. But I went to Florida last year and I wanted to be able to take it with me to play games @ the condo we stayed at. Plays Skyrim and Fallout very nice. I upgraded to 24gb of ram back in Feb. I'm not a huge pc gamer, but I play the hell out of the ones I got and even started on the basics of 3d rendering. It's nice that my laptop can do those things.

6. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    as I said air cooling is ineeficent
    I suggest you either get water coolign, or as I just recently discovered copper foam, you simply put copper foam in a wooden frame and put your laptop on it ;) It transfer all heat away for it

7. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    cheapest and easiest way is to simple put and metal sheet under laptop ; I am using it works fine

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  8. Mad hatter

Ratings:
    +227 / 4 / -0
    Air cooling has worked perfectly for me up until now.

Im not overly fussed about spending a bit of cash, I want something that looks nice. Not like I've just mashed something together from the scrap yard ;)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    well dude, metal sheet looks just fine :p if you buy it as aluminium or copper

A long way from scrap yard. For me it`s all about functionality

10. Mad hatter

Ratings:
    +227 / 4 / -0
    Can you show me your set up? Would that be okay?

11. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    well currently I am at summer house and I am using my sisters laptop, which is way newer and yet doesnt need extra cooling. But, yes if you like I could go and buy a nice copper sheet and put it under the laptop, take a picture and post it here.

12. Mad hatter

Ratings:
    +227 / 4 / -0
    Theres no rush, wait until you get home

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Dude pls. Why would you call my post dumb, I can explain you why metal sheet works fine, if you care? But just because you dont understand something dosent mean you can call it dumb.

• Dumb Dumb x 1