Cooling a Laptop? Help please O.o

Discussion in 'General Computers' started by Alchemist, May 20, 2011.

1. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I'll take some ear cottons and put some water on them when my laptop is turned off an then i'll carefully clean the grates off the dust and dirt.Maybe that will help a bit.Summer is coming here and the laptop must be as cold as possible.

2. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Padmé once bought a platform with coolers inside. Or some ventilator which you could place the laptop on. I'm sure you can find it on Amazon. Though it wasn't that efficient, it could still improve things.

3. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Already have something that lifts the laptop and has fans to help keep it cool. It works but not great.

Would this work:
    I get one of those gel cold packs (you know, the things you put on a sore back or pulled muscle)...wrap it in a towel, place it on my desk, place the laptop stand I have on it so that those fans will pull up the cold and blow it into my laptop vent.
    Condensation seems like it could be a problem, but I dont know...with that much space between the cold pack and the laptop, plus towel to absorb condensation...seems like it might work...

4. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Well with my old laptop I had the same problem with it overheating. Was a nightmare. I bought a cooler, which was the most annoying item on the planet because the laptop kept sliding off it. And ironically, the cooler overheated and died.... I tried everything from cleaning, keeping it near a fan, getting one of those stupid laptop pillows (which it melted the plastic off), nothing worked at all.... I now have a new VAIO, and so far it has no overheating issues whatsoever.... For now. But is your laptop shutting off all the time or is it just you're not happy with the general temperature of it? One thing I tried for a while was putting the laptop on the table with about 12 coasters/ beermats (3 per corner), and that helped keep the damn thing ventilated. Though I felt a bit daft using a laptop on stilts so I gave up after a while. But if I had been using it only for work then I would not have minded at all.

5. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I swear, no one's reading my posts :p lol
    The laptop is elevated on a stand. This stand has two fans under it to increase airflow.
    So far my laptop has never shut it self down from heat, nor has there been any effect on its performance. I'm just not happy with the temperature it reaches. According to manufacturer, my processor cores have a max temp of 100 C. While playing games temperatures reach anywhere between 90 C to 99 C. Though usually sitting around 95 C.
    There is no heat problems for everyday tasks, just when gaming.

6. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
  7. Conquer

Conquer New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My laptop always overheats as well.... :(

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  8. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    My MacBook Pro only ever warms up when playing Skyrim or Minecraft (on max settings and loads going on), and that's not even overheating. Never had the problem, so I can't help really.

9. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Haha oh, preaching about macs :D
    My laptop never overheats. I play games all the time for long periods and nothing ever happens.
    btw, it's an HP :p a cheap one at that

10. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    My computer isn't a gaming one.
    Our Desktop which is 4 years old now never overheats, even when playing stuff like War in the North.

(also mac)

11. Conquer

Conquer New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Laptops should come with better fans....
    Alot of people have too buy external fans for them.

12. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I even melted a laptop, twice! because of poor fans. If a flat surface with good air circulation doesn't do it. There are laptop cooling pads.

13. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    *coughs*
    Or there's a Mac, it costs less than three computers, and has a longer life and, ... *shuts up from being stared at*

14. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    *keeps staring*
    Naaa, the repairs were free thank god. And mac's are really expensive, at least here. Why have a laptop when one can have an awesome stationary computer! Oh okey laptops can be practical, but mostly they're just trouble.

15. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I'd prefer a Mac Pro with 64 GB RAM, 4 Terabyte hard drive, 500 GB SSD, multiple screens, the best graphics card, bla bla bla, but a laptop is what I need for school, and is more powerful than our desktop.

16. Mad hatter

Mad hatter Much more... Muchier

Ratings:
    +227 / 4 / -0
    Relating to what the others said, I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago. I stripped it bare and took the fan out. I blew the dust from everything, specifically focusing on the fan and surrounding area. Put it back together and went out to buy a cooling stand. Came back with a $25 usb powered base, too small for my 18" laptop, but my priorities were getting a fan to aid the built in fan. Its perfect. Never gets hot, never lags.

17. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Well, for cooler-pad - as a physicist I can say they dont really work, the idea on them isnt for cooling, but for adding more air intake-> thus it can only really cool for few degrees, or even none at all. The best idea I found, and I made, was for my sisters old laptop - you go to store and buy a nice plastic chest ( i got 2 smaller ones because 17.3 inch laptop) and add ice into them; it only works for few hours, but it works wonderfully, and you can swap ice too.

Or if you have money to spend you can buy water cooled coolers ; but for powerful laptops AIR COOLING WONT CUT IT.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  18. Mad hatter

Ratings:
    +227 / 4 / -0
    1) Partially correct Mr Physicist:
    Typically, a conductive cooling pad allows for the cooling of a laptop without using any power. These "Pads" are normally filled with an organic salt compound that allows them to absorb the heat from the laptop. They are good for a limited amount of time from around 6–8 hours of cooling. Other designs are simply a pad that elevates the laptop so that the fans in the laptop are allowed greater airflow.

The conductive cooling pads are not advisable for laptops that have fan vents built into the bottom as the cooling pad blocks the vents leading to overheating or premature system failure. The best way to determine if a cooling pad would be suitable for your laptop would be to take a look at the bottom of the laptop and look for air vents or fan vents. If they are on the side and not on the bottom, it is usually safe to use the cooler pad; otherwise, it may not be safe to use a conductive cooler pad.

The other variety that can be used simply has a hard resting surface that provides gap between the cooler and the laptop is normally safer to use.

Though I would agree and advise against them.

2) Thats a good idea if you arent sitting down for too long (I cant imagine that ice cubes will stay like that for long when under 90c of heat), but could be a short term solution.

3) Air cooling CAN CUT IT. I play all of my games on the highest settings with no problems, and no heat problems. As I said in my last post, clean it out, blow the life out of it, get rid of every spec of dust and make sure that when you use it, it's not sat on your bed or your lap. Use a usb/externally powered fan on a flat surface like a big book or a desk and you'll be more than okay.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    well, it depends on what sort of laptop you have, and about the cooling pads; any material that they put isnt enough heat absorbant - but more like heat directive; I play all my games on highest setting without using any of additional cooling setups.

Reasons why air-cooling pads, wont help at all, but is more or less and placebo.

1. Laptops vents are usually 1 on a side, and 2 or 3 on bottom, heated air flights up, so only a part of that can be pressuared outside, and even if you blow more air into the vents, it affect only 1-2% of the overall heat exchange, because air cant (its hard to explain for non-english speaker) absorb as much as heat as other substances.

2. about the water, water if one of the best heat absorbants you can ever get, and you dont even need the ice cubes, any sort of water ( below surrounding temp, will cut it) because you force the water to condensate on top of the surface, both inside the box from colder water/ice and outside air, thus taking energy from heat produced the laptop to evaporate the condensate.

facts.

air heat capacity is around 1.05 (kJ/kgK) it means if you have laptop that produces 1 KJ of heat the air will only take away 0.05%; its due to air properties, it cant turn heat to energy as effective as others substances.

water heat capacity is around 4.182 (kJ/kgK) it means it is as 4 i times effective, and it is at the both air and water beeing in the temperature as the surrouding , as i mentioned if we put ICE into the play, we can clearly see that 2.108l still almost twice as the air.

Even if u put your laptop on a bowl full of water, it will be more than twice the effectivness of and air cooling pad.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. Mad hatter

Ratings:
    +227 / 4 / -0
    Im not disputing that liquid cooling is more efficient than air, but at a guess, I would say that they're more expensive than a fan. As the OP said, it hasn't overheated, he just wants to push it away from the 90's. If he wanted to get it as low as possible and didn't have a worry in terms of budgets, then yes, I'd highly recommend a liquid cooled system.

I'm not looking for an argument, so please don't be so argumentative, I'm simply expressing my views.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1