Cooling a Laptop? Help please O.o

Discussion in 'General Computers' started by Alchemist, May 20, 2011.

1. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Okay, not too long ago I spent good money on a gaming laptop (yes, I game on a laptop cause I move around). Anywho, with gaming laptops come excessive heat. Everyday tasks are fine, but when playing, let's say, WoW, it can get as hot as 98C. The max temp of my processor is 100C, I don't like being that close. I periodacally minimize WoW, checking temp and letting it cool for a second or two (dropping it at least 10C before starting up again). I currently use this cooling stand. Previous temps are with that stand and fans on.
    So, is there any other advice? Solutions? Something? I don't want to spend money on things that don't work well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I've got the same problem actually and I asked someone who knows something about computers and he says it gets this overheated, probably, because of the dust in the computer, or something? So you need to buy canned air..

I also put my screen darker, and I think this helps as well, or maybe it's just in my head. ^^

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  3. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Three things here.

First, and this is important. Make sure the air intake (under the fan) has free air flow. If it can't suck in enough air, your laptop will grind to a halt.

As laptops get older, they gather dust. Usually, a laptop is cooled by a small fan and a relatively small heatsink. And that heatsink, especially on the basis of sitting on your lap, gathers a lot of dust. Eventually, it could even clog up. So, tip #1 is to always get out the screwdrivers, q-tips and vacuum cleaner to clean out that heatsink and air exit.

The last option would be a third party cooling solution on which you can set your laptop. Spend a few € and see the running temp of your laptop drop by about 10 degrees C.

It will save a considerable amout of energy, meaning the screen won't heat up as much. At the same time, the battery also stays cooler. So I suppose there's some difference...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Good thread man,good thread believe me I've had the same problem with my laptop.Well actually I bought a "base" or "stand" like you did and the fan works all the time but sometimes...SOMETIMES....it just shuts down like that.And then I have to let my laptop cooldown for more than 10 minutes or so in order to restart it again.
    But that's not the point,when I used to play WOW last year and the previous year it used to overheat and shut down much more frequently.

Fortunately it's more rare now,but usually when I was playing "heavy" games like WOW or Sims 3(Yeah even Sims 3)it used to just .....overheat on the top left side of the keyboard and just shut down.Now it happens rarely when I play Fallout 3.

5. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    >.< O.O >.<
    *blink*
    *blink*
    Alchy! You're alive?
    :O *le gasp*

6. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Alchy has however been eaten by the wolf killer!

Otherwise known as WoW :(

7. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Dust isn't the problem...not at all. It's on a stand with which allows air flow and has fans under it. It never gets hot enough to shut down. Just hot. I'm looking for an additional 3rd party cooling system. Like an extractor fan that attaches to the exhaust vent and pulls hot air out faster. I did find a laptop stand, made of aluminum with fans for it as well...but it was nearly $100. The extractor fans I've seen run around $20. But I'd like to know if they'd be worth it.

Yes I'm still alive.
    And no, WoW is not the reason I rarely frequent TFF, as I'm only on WoW a couple nights a week. :p

8. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Well, the laptop stands shouldn't be too expensive, see?

Or are you running a very unusual laptop size? It's not exactly one size fits all in this market.

And sucking fans*? I've used the vacuum cleaner from time to time to cool down overheated PC's (very effectively!) - but I've never seen any implement for a laptop as a permanent solution. Could there be any links posted?

*not the ones found backstage at justin bieber concerts.

9. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    You know my laptop shut down while I was playing Metro 2033 some half an hour ago or more.What if I take a hair dryer,switch it to cold air and let the air blow through the vents to remove some of the dust?

10. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    kekeke - don't forget to actually put it on cold :p

I think the vacuum cleaner would still manage a larger pressure difference. I suppose either method is valid.

But... really? Metro2033? On a laptop? That's just about the single heaviest game I can think of. Either you have a very very heavy laptop - or the details are set to very very low :D

11. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I have this stand. These are the extractor fans I was curious about: this and this. Also, my laptop is 17in. So, it's a good sized one. Sadly the intake fan built into it is rather small...which is why it gets so hot. Still no problems with it shutting down though.

I was looking at the specs for Metro 2033...my laptop would be able to run it full settings no prob...that's what kind of laptop i have...had it built for gaming...sadly that means it heats up fast.

12. Running Wolf

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    Alchy will you come back to TFF if I say pwetty puh-lease?
    Pretty Please???

13. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Depends if I get a solution to this query. :p
    I dunno, I come back every couple of weeks to check on notifications, but just doesn't hold the same appeal as it used to. I'll try, but no promises. :p

14. Running Wolf

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    <3 That's all I wanted to hear :D
    Now, since I am of no help here, I'll leave this thread and you to find a solution to your heating problem ^^

15. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Weird...

Looking at the little suckers, I'd say they're either bound to be rather inefficient - or very noisy. Generally, small fans have this whine at higher speeds. And at lower speeds, they're not really doing anything at all.

Using Google for a few reviews, it seems that the Evercool gismo does work, though noone specifies noise. Some users indicate that high-end laptops have fans more powerful than the Evercool extractor. And that the device doesn't work on all designs of laptop.

Apparently, they're in the market for more than a year and a half. The fact that the product hasn't drawn a lot of attention - and that large cooling solution manufacturers haven't caught on - probably indicates that we're not looking at a marvelous solution here.

... but I have no direct experience with these devices, no. Nor have I heared anyone talk about them.

I'd say screw off the backplate from your laptop to free up airflow. It's what I used to do. And it really worked :p

16. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    That's what I was thinking about those extractor fans. My laptop doesnt slow down or shut off from the heat, but too hot for my liking. Would unscrewing the bottom really work? Would it be safe to still play? I've never been one to take apart my laptops...desktops, no problem, but I'm nervous to do that to a laptop...o_O

17. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    hmm - I've - eventually - gone full monty on my laptop :D

Yeah, it's fine. Especially if you keep using a laptop stand to sit it on. I wouldn't bag it and take it elsewhere or have it on my lap with a bare bottom, though.

... but you wouldn't exactly play WoW on the couch with the mousepad heh?

18. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Maybe your lap is.....too hot? :D

Lol

19. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I tried and I can't seem to take off the panel..something is catching and I don't wont to force it. Also, I do bag up the laptop and take it places. I use it at work.
    hmmmm

20. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Well, I can't really say anything about your laptop in particular, really. My laptop used to have a flap that'd come off with about 6 screws. It covered mainly the processor, GPU, memory, fan and heatsink and a few other random innards.

Appart from some trial runs whilst repairing, I never really ran the laptop with the entire bottom removed. That seems a bit daft, really.