Convince me!

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Zareb, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    First of all, we all know you love me, Met. Pretending to act like an egotistical azz just makes you look silly. :D

Second, we're all on the same side here. Remember? And why the hell is Met being attacked for presenting a pretty mature front about while he does/doesn't like a series?

2. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Rachel, it's not about "same sides" and more about what's right. =| I might disagree with Met's opinion, and argue why he's wrong - but I'd never suggest that he "not post here if you don't like the series." That's really a bit silly.

3. Cyril

Cyril Knight of the Weave

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I never said Met isn't free to post here.

I merely asked him to have an informed opinion before he posts. Saying that he hasn't finished the first book and then trying to explain to someone why they shouldn't read a series is different than trying to have a discussion with someone about the series. Granted, Met's posts weren't as bad as Nox's posts, but he certainly wasn't helping the situation any.

So don't read what I'm saying as "Agree or GTFO." I'm saying, don't try to act like you know what you're talking about in a book discussion when you haven't read the series. My Harry Potter analogy was talking about that. It's not that I don't post there because I don't have an opinion on the series, but more that I don't have anything to add to the discussion because I don't know what I'm talking about.

There's a difference.

4. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I finished the first book, not the series, so I don't know whether I've made a typographical error in stating that or you've just misread.

I wasn't touching upon topics such as book plot and so on. I was talking about general writing style and certain subjects the book touches upon. So I don't see how I "don't know what I'm talking about". What situation was I not helping? What exactly was I supposed to be helping with?

5. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    He's read and finished the first book, and based on his admitted opinion of the first book - that he disliked it - he chose not to read the rest of the series.

He isn't telling the OP's author to "not read the series." He provided a CAUTIONARY WARNING in which he said, "If you don't like this, you're better off not reading the series."

Also, if you read my previous post, I pulled out direct quotes from Met's previous posts which show that he was providing a reasonable argument. I disagree with him, but that's really besides the point.

What's going on atm isn't arguing against the points in his posts - you're arguing against the poster himself. And that's really just ridiculous. Met's abrasive and hard to get along with, and he occasionally makes controversial posts - but argue against the content of his posts, please. Say, "What you said about the series is incorrect because of this, this, and this, as backed up by proof in this book," etc. Not "You don't have an informed opinion."

Furthermore, he has stated REPEATEDLY that he has read ONLY the first book, and that the author should take his posts in context bearing that in mind, as well as other aforementioned factors. He's not arguing that "ASoIaF is bad, don't read it!" He's just saying, "I disliked the series for this reason, and here is a cautionary warning for you."

6. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    GRRM if you are out there please release something - a chapter from ADWD - something - anything ASOIAF!
    its clear that some fans are going mad - they are about to kill each other (well kill a non-fan buts its the same sort of thing I guess) quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please

7. Renzokuken

Renzokuken You have failed this city!

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    We all know it's why I keep coming round here. ;) lol.

(Thought the thread needed a little humour :p)

8. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    If by humour you mean truth. ;)

lol, That post made me clap and squeal like a little girl!

9. Renzokuken

Renzokuken You have failed this city!

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    Lol. Funny, funny girl. ;) :p

10. Zareb

Zareb New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, was a while since I started this thread. And now I finally finished reading the first book. Took me almost a month! o_O I blame school for taking to much of my reading time. Usually I would've finished it within three-four days.
    Anyway. I liked it. :) I like the fact that he makes it real. The world can be an ugly, evil place where good guys loose and bad guys win and he doesn't hide anything and tells it the way everything is. Also like it that there's no black and white here. There's no "good" or "bad" guys like it is in Eddings. Right now I'm rooting for Daenerys. :) Gonna go buy the next book tomorrow and return this first one (which I should've returned two weeks ago...).
    Anyway, thanks for an interesting read. :) Think I'm gonna enjoy these series.

11. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Zareb you sum up some of the very things that make this a great series for me as well - especailly the grey characters who are neither good nor evil. Its something that fantasy (infact a lot of fiction in general) tends to suffer from - sure its easier on the writer and (in some ways) the reader - to have characters who site firmly on one side of the line - or who make big cross overs after some big event (or the bad guy revealing himself). It takes a lot more skill as a writer (I think) to have characters who are neither good nor evil but who walk in that grey area.

12. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Good to hear you enjoyed it!

13. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Awww, I'm really glad you liked it too Zareb. :) Keep us posted! Clash of Kings can get a little slow in some places, but every page of Storm of Swords is amazing (except maybe the Davos chapters :D)

14. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Hah, gotta agree about Davos... He was the only boring character for me, which is saying a hell of a lot considering how many there are.

15. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Strange, I rather like Davos Seaworth. His devotion to Stannis is ordinary, but the rest of him - his past, his family - makes him one of my favourite secondary characters.

16. Raff the Sweetling

Raff the Sweetling Threadkiller

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Agreed. Davos bored me to tears. (tears=onion) Get it !? Ahhh never mind.

17. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Ugh. If only I could punch people through the internet for bad puns...

18. Raff the Sweetling

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0

I feel the same about people with Teddy Bear Avatars. :)

19. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Hey, he's a CREEPY teddy bear. He would bite your hand off. :p

20. Raff the Sweetling

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    The message is down there vvvvvvv. (double post)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009