Confessor (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'The Sword of Truth' started by Kristof, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Kristof

Kristof New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Okay, now that I have finally found someplace to discuss this series in earnest, I feel the need to gripe just a wee bit. I loved the book, don't get me wrong. I spent an entire summer leading up to it getting read after being introduced to this series in late June, and finished Phantom at the beginning of October.

I do need to say that the best part of the book was easily the Ja La game when Richard and his team play for the championship. Hands down. No argument wanted, though I am willing to listen to your opinions, should you not agree.

I felt the ending was rushed quite a bit. It felt... incomplete, to me at least. I had expected something grand to end this series, as was befitting it to that point. It also felt as if Goodkind was just throwing in references to people and things just to be cool. Certainly, Chase, Scarlet, and even Gratch deserved more than the minuscule treatment they received in the course of the novel.

My biggest gripe with the book is that there was NO FREAKING WIZARD'S RULE! "The one rule left unspoken since the beginning..." That is bull. I was so angry because this was a major letdown. That was probably one of the most important things that I had been waiting for when I started this book so long ago.

Okay, so I will step down now, and encourage any and all people to come and chat about this. What were your thoughts on this book?

2. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    Spoilers Below - If you haven't finished Confessor then please don't read Any Further!

We didn't get to see what the final rule was. I had completely forgotten about it until you mentioned it just now. In regards to the ending, yes it was Too rushed. I felt it needed more. Personally, I was hoping that Kahlan would take up the Sword and go to town on Jagang. The Ja La games were amazing! I loved the final one! As I read it, it felt as if I was in the crowd watching every single move made. To me that was exhilarating! Many references were made back to former characters so to speak. I enjoyed what Rachel did in the cavern though with Violet. That was Very interesting! I felt we needed more of Zedd and the Mordsith but as it was stated Richard was on his quest to find Kahlan. The moment where their eyes met while he was in the wagon being led into the camp was very heart warming. In all honesty, when I think about what the last rule could have been, I believe it is have endearing faithfulness toward the ones you love. Or maybe it was to never give up hope. In all honesty, I couldn't tell you what the last rule is. I hope this helps you out!

3. Kristof

Kristof New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That does fill in a little, but I, and most of my friends were very pissed off that Goodkind felt that he could pull one over like that. It sullied the end of an epic saga that I had invested a good deal of time in, at least in my eyes. Granted, I came late to the party, but I finished the series in less time than it took my friend to read the last two books.

It was funny, Nick (my friend) had bought me Wizards' First Rule with the intention of addicting me. At the time, I just bought Star Wars: Inferno and was saying, "Nah, I will read MY book first." Damn if I haven't touched that SW book yet. Anyways, because I made a bet with my friend to see if I could beat him to the end of the series (wherein I had just finished Blood of the Fold and was reading at the speed of about a book every 7-10 days and he was midway through Chainfire and couldn't get the the spirit to read it anymore) I encouraged him to read it again. He beat me, but because of issues, he only finished Phantom when I had gotten to his previous location in Chainfire, but we called it a draw. We read this one together when it came out.

This book will be special for me, now and always. It was good, but it could have been great had the ending been a little bit better.

4. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    True.

5. krimshail

krimshail New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i personaly like the last rule it gives the poissibilty for it to be anything and yet everything. it the rule unspoken

6. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    True but as a fan you'd still like to know what the final rule is. lol.

7. krimshail

krimshail New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    to me that is the final rule the rule unspoken its my msn personal message i like it so much

8. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Now that I've finally read the book I feel safe coming into this thread. My opinion:

Most. Disappointing. Ending. Ever.

Way too many threads left hanging, to sudden and reads like it was made up on the spot... I mean, the anvilicious morals delivered through contrived, three-page-long discussions with thins characterisation throughout the series I can get used to, the innate sexism I can get used to, every single villain being a perverted murderer/rapist I can get used to, and even EVERY SINGLE FREAKING MAIN CHARACTER being a Mary Sue I can get used to, if they hadn't doubled all of this stuff for the last book. Especially the Mary Sues. Richard was the most overpowered character of them all, but hey, why not give him even more power? I suppose there was no way to avoid it, but it's Goodkind's fault for setting the premise in the first place. Argh.

The only decent bit in that book was the JaLa games.

9. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    It was a cop-out.