Confession

Discussion in 'J.R.R. Tolkien / Lord of the Rings' started by Sindhu, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Sindhu

Sindhu New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a shameful confession to make- LOVE most, indeed all other fantasy literature I have read, but I just cannot get into The Lord of the Rings!:stupid: I couldn't even get past the Hobbitt, for heaven's sake! And I even taught a class at MA level in Fantasy level, where I cravenly palmed off Tolkien as a Student Group Seminar Text. I love Harry Potter, Narnia, Greene Knowe, Arthuriana, Pullman,- you name it! But I cannot get "into" Tolkien! ADVICE_ please- I'm desperate!:confused:

2. zLameCoolSK8Rz

zLameCoolSK8Rz New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm new here, first post reply, well, uh
    I'm 15, i read harry potter, the hobbit and the lord of the rings and keys to the kingdom
    at least 200 pages a day each, if i'm like really bored (holidays does this) and 20-50 pages a day daily for roll call, or i read a whole book two times in a row, becoz im stuck in a 11 hour car ride from sydney to melborune.

Just read the book, then you might get addicted to it, and keep on reading, until it become an addiction, thats what happened to me.

OR what did u meant becoz i might get lost if u didnt mean the first answer (from top)

doesnt matter though, lord of the rings is too much and if u watched the movie trilogy, whats the point in reading it? u just know what happens already (apart from cut off parts) a full trilogy = 12 hours, or a 1000 page book trilogy, for like well watever

i dont know dude

Its your choice, im lost in my own words right now:)

3. comfan

comfan New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I had the same problem Sindhu. After several attempts I finally read them after they were given to me as a Christmas present and I felt obligated to read them. So all I can tell you is to trudge through them.

4. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    I don't see the problem Sindhu ~ not everyone likes LoTR, others just like the films. I know someone else who really disliked LoTR until he listened to an audio book version whilst driving to work and is now hooked. On occasion I've read books and not been overly impressed then a few years later picked them up again and really enjoyed them. I'm 'into' Tolkien but didn't think The Hobbit was anything special. My advice would be to shelve them for now and come back to them at some later date.

5. Sindhu

Sindhu New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    O, Thanks everyone- the way my offline friends rave about the LOTR, I was scared I'd booted out of a Fantasy forum if I didn't like the book! Now I can relax!:draught:

6. Plish

Plish Soul Sailing Psychonaut

on mountain of fire, waiting for the ash to guide
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    I've never read past half way through the second :p

I do like the movies though...

7. Nynaeve

Nynaeve <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    I didn't like the books all that much either, don't worry. I thought they were kinda slow moving and a little boring.:p

8. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, the books ARE written at much a different pace then, far as I've read into them, the other books you've mentioned. It's often hard to take back a step and I'm sure you must have a thing for this speed if you are going to stand or like Tolkiens work.