Conceptualizing a Fantasy World

Discussion in 'Original Works' started by xpegasus12, Jan 8, 2016.

1. xpegasus12

xpegasus12 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone, I am new member and I would greatly appreciate it if any of you wonderful people could me with coming up with ideas for the Fantasy World I am conceptualizing. I've mostly figured out what races I want to populate it, but I'm having trouble coming up with ideas for what their cultures would be like.

Right now I'm stuck one what the Fresh Water Merfolk would be like.

I Have three major tribes of Merfolk, the North Sea Merfolk, they live in temperate waters, who are basically underwater Romans, the South Sea Merfolk, they live in tropical waters, who are based on various pacific island cultures, and the Fresh Water Merfolk, they live in places like lakes and rivers, but I have no idea what their culture might be like, any thoughts.

I greatly appreciate any help you may provide.

2. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I am really curious how you will have the salty and fresh water Merfolks collide, as salinity is a bit of a hard determinant as far as viable environment goes ;)

The only fresh water Merpeople that I know of would come from the Germanic region. Go read up on the Lorelei, for instance. Both Norse and Germanic tradition might apply, as well as the swampy regions near the real world North- and Wadden Sea. Maybe they might exist in the bracken waters of river deltas, where your North Sea Merfolk might intermingle with the Fresh Water lot.

If you would like to stick to European tradition, I am sure the Slavic people would apply as well. As we have a few of them present on this forum, I am not going to go into stereotypes, but I am sure you can figure something out. There's loads of lakes in the north region of Poland, for instance. I am sure Merfolks could be inserted there.

A whole other approach could be to base your freshies on Native American culture, especially of, let´s say, territories we now associate with Canada. Lots of lakes and Indians living off hunting and fishing.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

3. xpegasus12

xpegasus12 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much, this has really helped me decide on what their culture to be like.

I would really appreciate it you could provide with some more help.

In my Fantasy world I have five types of Ors, Green Orcs, Red Orcs, Blue Orcs, White Orcs, and Black Orcs, I want each race of Orc to have a culture that is distinct from eachother, but have still cultural aspects and legends shared among. My idea is that war and combat plays a big role in all five Orc Cultures, but they interpret it in different ways.

I already have some idea, Black Orcs are the most utilitarian of the Orcs, White Orcs see combat almost as a form of art, and for Blue Orcs war and combat are something very spiritual.

I think it's a good start, but I'm not sure what to do with the Green and Red Orcs.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

4. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    hmmm...some ideas to motivate a group to develop a culture that values war :
    * Orcs could earn social status among their own kind from their prowess as warriors
    * Financial gain from pillaging is the society's primary concern and martial skills are necessary to do that
    * Constantly defending from the raids of others has created a very war-like culture (ie: the drive to keep what you have)
    * The clan has been charged with the defence of something valuable, or a territory, by some other entity and a warrior culture has sprung up around that duty

Good luck!

5. xpegasus12

xpegasus12 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you, but I was talking more about how the culture surrounding war, how it viewed in a society.

With the Black Orcs their view of of war and combat is very utilitarian, the common soldier with their chosen tool fighting for their home, the weapons they use will often be, for lack of a better term, mass produced, while among White Orcs, while their culture is still very war-centric, it's a different story, Warriors fight more for personal reasons than for their people, often times their weapons have been passed down their family for generations, or they will have them be specially forged and customized for their personal use, sometimes forging it themselves, and in Blue Orc Culture war is something very spiritual, deeply tied to their faith.

Black Orcs fight for their homeland.

White Orcs fight for personal honor and glory.

Blue Orcs fight because of their faith.

All these cultures are war oriented, but it is expressed in different ways.

I just can't figure out what to do with the Green and Red Orcs, I would truly appreciate any thoughts on how to make the War Culture of Green and Red Orcs different from Black, White, and Blue Orcs.

6. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Well, there's still financial gain. And revenge as a motive.

However, orcs being what they are, I'd really opt for one of the races to be enslaved by another. Maybe the red orcs fighting for financial gain through pillage and looting, and green orcs being their subservient footmen. That sounds about right, as far as orcs are concerned...

Search tags for this page

fantasy conceptualizing