Conan the Barbarian swords

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by Broknpotre, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Sword of Conan

Sword of Conan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am one of the lucky (if you consider getting in debt lucky) few who have an Albion Atlantean (# 112). It is so awesome words really cant do it justice, I have collected swords for years, Ever scince I saw Conan the barbarian. I have a few Marto swords from my early collecting days and I am only happy with one of those (honami pro katana.) I would like to know more about the marto versions but cant really find alot about them? I cant even find a Marto website with them on only the dire tv swords, also why have marto gone to the trouble of recreating these swords so well but missed obvious detail on the fathers sword blade??? Maybe im just picky, I do like the look of there Fangs / Tower daggers and at $200 each I will definatly buy these. You can also get The Wheel of pain amulet too! Im in Cimmerian Heaven! But I really want to see some detailed picks and info on martos Fathers sword before I buy one...

Attached Files:

2. nasnandos

nasnandos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I pointed out to the folks at Marto that they were missing some details on thier father's sword. They knew about it. I was told they wanted thier sword to be a bit different than the Albion version. Really, other than the blades, there is not much difference in the Marto and Albion swords. You'll note that niether company wraps the handle leather correctly to the film version, although I think Marto's looks a bit better.

What did you pay for your Albion version?

3. Sword of Conan

Sword of Conan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The albion one was from there website, $3000 + $125 shipping to England UK. It was a hell of a lot of money for a sword but i have wanted one for about 20 years now so i just went and put it on the credit card :stupid:

It is my favorite possesion tho, I think ill take it with me when I die lol, Maybe I should construct a tomb just like the one in the film!

It must be quite an honour to walk round martos factory and speak to some of the guys! as soon as a shop in the uk get some of there conan stuff in i'm going to go and have a look at them.

4. moonglum

moonglum New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, I don't usually post here. I just check in and read threads occasionally, but I thought I might weigh in on this topic. I own both the Albion Atlantean (#5 of 1000) and the Albion Father's Sword (#4 of 1000). I guess I'm a SUPER lucky one, because I ordered these swords from Albion within weeks of their first publicizing them on their website. The initial price was only $1500 for each sword. Then there was some sort of Conan properties licensing issue, and after that was worked through, the pricing jumped way up. The awesome folks at Albion (Howy and Amy) were gracious enough to honor their original price to those lucky few who ordered before the licensing changes. I got both these swords for $1500 each, and they were personally sharpened by Jody Samson. The folks at Albion are the best I've ever dealt with as far as honesty, courtesy and professionalism. Not to mention that their products are far and away the highest quality I have ever seen. I followed their "riddle of steel diary" as they worked through the production process to recreate these swords, and it was mind-blowing to see their attention to detail and the research they put into them.

I have to say, these are the most amazing swords I've ever held. I know I would be disappointed in the Marto version. The depth and crispness of the fuller and the etching is unbelievable in the Albion versions. The weight is very impressive, and for me, adds to the charm of these swords.

If you are considering getting either of these swords, I would seriously consider paying the extra money for the Albion versions if you have any means to do so.

PS. Kit, I love your work on the Lord of the Rings swords. I've been collecting that set, and the quality and detail (especially for those prices) is fantastic. You and the team at United Cutlery have done a great job getting good quality replicas for reasonable prices. I have to admit though, I would really like to see Anduril done up right, with a hand ground blade. You can really tell on that one that the fuller and etching are deeper and more pronounced on the film sword.

5. Broknpotre

Broknpotre I know kung fu...

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    For anyone who hasn't noticed, Albion just lowered their prices on all of the Conan swords. The Atlantean and the Father's Sword are both down by $500. That makes me happy, because I haven't snagged the Father's Sword yet.

6. nasnandos

nasnandos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Moonglum, it's not just Anduril the does not have the grinds deep enough. All of UC's LOTR blades could be deeper. That is just a limitation of our machine grinders. We are working on a "museum collection" series for LOTR that will be made with carbon steel blades and distressed metal finish on the handle parts, much more accurate than the standard UC swords. We are going to try and get the hollow grinds and fullers as deep as possible. I don't think we will be able to match the hand grinding on the Albion swords, but we should get close. Sting is coming out first and if that is successful Anduril should follow sometime next year.

I have both of the Marto swords now, hand picked from the factory. The handles are beautiful, but hearing you talk about the blades on your Albion versions really makes me want to get the real thing. One thing about Marto's etching, I think it is as crisp as Albions. Marto etches them using an electrode, so they are as crisp and deep as you can get. I think that is what Albion does as well. A deep etch with a stencil or resist just does not make as clean a mark as an electrode.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2004
  7. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

I was just reading the forums and I noticed this. I know this is off topic, but I am extremelly intrigued. How much (rough estimate) will these "museum collection" swords cost?

8. Broknpotre

Broknpotre I know kung fu...

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hehe, I don't blame you. I don't know if they're still doing it, but a while ago Albion was offering a $1000 discount if you traded in a Marto version. The info for that isn't on their site any more, but maybe the offer still stands.

Oh, and that museum collection plan sounds very tasty. I'm sure you'll get plenty of interest in swords like that.

9. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    That is awesome news. Any infor on who might be providing the blades?

Hollow grinding is such a wonderful feature, but oh so expensive. I personally prefer the way John Lundemo of OdinBlades is going to do my sword, with a hollow grind that is actually a triple fuller, but the fullers are beveled leaving the edge thicker than a typical hollow grind. Hollow grinding lightens a sword, but typically makes the edge weaker and more open to damage. They cut like no ones business, these are probably the sharpest swords you can own.

10. moonglum

moonglum New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow! Thanks for posting that information Kit. It is very exciting to know that United plans to release a special line in the Lord of the Rings collection with carbon hollow ground steel blades, deeper etchings, distressed pommels/guards, etc. I would be interested to know what kind of price range we might expect on these, but I understand that may be difficult to say at this point.

My understanding of the Conan swords is that they are priced so high because of licensing costs with Conan Properties Ltd. Since United already has licensing from LOTR, my hope would be that the "museum line" in this collection would only increase in price in proportion to the costs of better materials, machining, and additional time/labor (plus a little extra profit for United to keep their profit margin up since they probably won't sell as many of these). I would still hope that with all these costs factored in we would not see prices anywhere near the $3000 Albion currently charges for the Atlantean.

I agree with you, and have certainly noticed that many of the current UC line are a bit off from the originals (especially the blades). Many of them would benefit from the special treatment described for the "museum quality" collection. I certainly don't mean to detract from what has already been released by United. Great swords no doubt, and at affordable prices which gets as many people into collecting as possible. I believe they are the best quality that could be made at those prices and with those materials and machines.

Well, I wish United all the best, and hope the special edition Sting does well. I would really love to have Anduril as you described it. Since I already own most of the current LOTR offering from United, I would only go for a few of the museum quality items now. Anduril would be at the top of my list.

11. BarbarianMonkey

BarbarianMonkey New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys! thanks a lot for your kind words!

I don't have a forge... I grind my blades from stock steel. Most all the blades you see on my site are made by Mike Rader of Rader Blade Works, he's great to work with and keeps me focused on sculpting and assembling.

I'm working on an alternate Atlantean style sword that will skulls on it where the sea serpents are (gotta avoid the copyright stuff).

I'll keep you updated,

thanks again!

12. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    With respect, I have my doubts about that. It's more likely due to the artist and his style of manufacture. Look at his non-Conan blades, and they're expensive too...

13. Gregorius0202

Gregorius0202 The Bronze Warrior

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well, considering that Jody Sampson is the original creator of the blades, it does make their value rise simply because he's the supervisor over the reproductions hand-done manufacture! They're also extremely good pieces, and are some of Albion's finest... If you consider the detail in their construction and the good balance they seem to have! Definitely worth the cost, due to the general scarcity among collectors, and depending on your love of Conan!

The Father's and Atlaetaen (sp) swords by Jody himself (limited to ten apiece) are $10,000 apiece:\ Pricey (slash that, VERY pricey!) but definitely worth bragging about!

-Gregory-

14. Patrick Kelly

Patrick Kelly New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Actually, Marto's sword's are made using castings taken directly from the Albion swords. So in that sense they are a rip-off.

15. Patrick Kelly

Patrick Kelly New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    "Hollow grinding lightens a sword, but typically makes the edge weaker and more open to damage."

In fact is doesn't, provided that it's done in the proper fashion. Most modern made hollow ground blades don't follow this principle though. This leads to the perception that HG blades are weak at the edge, something that's not true at all. I elaborated a bit on this in the following review: http://www.myarmoury.com/review_alb_reg.html