Conan the Barbarian swords

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by Broknpotre, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Doombringer

Doombringer The End of All Things

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Suffer no guilt yee who wield this in the name of Crom!

;)

2. Daywalker

Daywalker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    No, it's the Marto version of the sword. Not a rip off, but also not battle ready like the Albion version.

4. Broknpotre

Broknpotre I know kung fu...

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Okay, that link didn't work for me, but I think I found the sword you are talking about. I had assumed the only Conan sword Marto had was the TV version, but apparently Albion had to give up the designs for their Atlantean and Father's swords since Marto already had a licensing agreement with Conan Properties. Marto's version is made out of stainless steel (Inox I-42 is roughly equivalent to 420 stainless), so it is essentially a very expensive wall-hanger. Although I suppose it is half the price of the swords Albion is making, it is by no means functional. So, I suppose it depends on who is getting ripped-off. If you mean the legal license-holders, then no. If you mean anyone who buys it, then maybe. :D

Here is a picture of Marto's version. Looks pretty much exactly the same as Albion's. They even stole the design for the box, except for the color. Hehe
    http://gallery.fantasyvault.net/showphoto.php?photo=335

Last edited: Feb 19, 2004
  5. Doombringer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, Broknpotre has hit it on the head. The Marto version uses the same molds but does not have the bonuses of the Albion version... Albion uses 1075 carbon steel with specific heat-treating and also the same grounding and engraving machine used on the original props.

6. Daywalker

Daywalker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ahh I see, thank you gentlemen.

7. Doombringer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Probably the best feature is that Jody Samson works at Albion now and oversees the production of the Conan swords. He made the Atlantean Sword and Father's Sword for the movie.

8. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Humped a "pig" too, bro. Hoo-hah!

Having read all the original Conan stories before even reading a comic or seeing a movie, I can say I'm a little prejudiced. But in most of the REH stories, Conan's sword is not described as a two-hander. Actually it is so described in only one story, and that's so specific I can't help but assume he means that the other swords are one-handers.

Free Companions

9. Daywalker

Daywalker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I've read the stories too and that is true but if you want to take it farther he Conan is supposed to have black hair, not brown as in the movies. I guess barbarians are pictured as weilding "bigger-then-life" swords but the funny thing is REH never referred to Conan as a barbarian. Not trying to be off topic but just saying there can never be a perfect book-to-movie transition.

*cough*Conan would of never had anything to do with a wizard as he did in the 1st movie either*ahem*

10. Lord of the Valar

Lord of the Valar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Any of you guys know where I can find out more about those Marto versions?

11. Time Seller

Time Seller New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I saw very close the "Father's Sword", my favourite of the conan swords, from Marto, and it is a beauty... Just that I don't know why anyone willing this sword must pay 490,00 € (about 630,00 $), in fact, it is very expensive for a wallhanger sword.

12. Orkin

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ? :confused: ? Definitely not accurate.

13. BarbarianMonkey

BarbarianMonkey New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    A customer of mine bought the marto version (he lives in Mexico) and he was not happy with it. He said the pommel was hollow .... he found out because he accidently broke it by swinging it around... I think he learned his lesson, a wall hanger belongs on the wall.

I was quite disappointed myself with the price. Like you, my favorite is the father's sword.... After drooling over it for 2 years... I finally undertook the task of building my own (see the pic) after a year ... I finally had a very impressive sword. Now to work on the etching.....

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. demonspawn

demonspawn New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    same, yes i love the conan swords but still like the subotai sword the best, since it is a smaller and lighter blade, it can be weilded alot easyer then the conan sword or the father's sword. if i had the extra cash layin around wich unfortunutly i dont i would grab all of them, that way i could trace out the subotai's sword so i can make a dummy version to practice with, now only if i can convince my dad to make the sword for me :dragon:

loki father of mischief

15. Orkin

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freecomp/

By Crom's bloody teeth! We're recruiting good warriors! The mercenary army known in the Hyborian Age as the Free Companions attained fame for once having Conan the Cimmerian among our ranks!

Learn the barbarian warrior skills of the Hyborian Age! Set forth on dangerous quests for adventure and treasure!

He who dares, wins!

Live-Action Roleplaying in the Hyborian Age of Conan the Barbarian!

:spam:

16. SciFi-ActionMan

SciFi-ActionMan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Guys,

I'm going through the decision right now to buy the Marto sword or not. As much as I love the Abion one, I can even imagine trying to convince my wife to buy a $3000 sword. I only intend to use this primarily as a wall hanging, with the occaisional quick swing (without hitting anything), similar to what i do with Glamdring, for instance.

The problem is the $900 price. Is there anyone out there that just has this as a wall hanging that likes it?

Also, is there anyone out there that has the Albion that would actually risk doing anything to damage this sword after they spent $3000 for it?

17. nasnandos

nasnandos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had the opportunity to visit the factory in Toledo Spain where the Marto versions are made recently. They are actually not bad looking swords, though they are wall hangars just like the LOTR swords. I looked at the construction and they can hold up to an impact, but they are 420 stainless with welded tangs. The bronze handle parts were excellent quality, practically identical to the Albion versions. The blades are not finished quite as crisp as the Albion versions. I was going to get the Albion version but now I am debating on getting Marto's. Marto's father's sword is missing a few etching details from the original sword. If you look at the Albion sword it is accurate. Other than that they are very similar in looks.

18. Orkin

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I believe there is a storefront in LA where the expensive swords are sold. It would be fun to check it out. :draught:

19. Glaurung

Glaurung Getting families together

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Barbarian Monkey, I can't even begin to fathom the skill you must have to make a sword like that - presumably at a home forge?
    I had a look at your site and they look awsome - particularly your version of the Atlantean. Are you going to make that one available - I'spose you would have to make it different for licensiong reasons?

20. Daywalker

Daywalker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, Barbarian Monkey has made a few posts here and there but nobody has given him credit and his swords are amazing.