Conan the Barbarian swords

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by Broknpotre, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Broknpotre

Broknpotre I know kung fu...

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So is anyone else in this forum absolutely in love with the swords from Conan the Barbarian? There are two in particular being reproduced by the filmswords division of Albion Armorers that are too cool for words. I know that almost no one could look as impressive as Arnold Schwartzeneggar holding the Atlantean sword, but wouldn't it be awesome to have that sword? Too bad they make you give up your first-born child to pay for it. :p

2. Broknpotre

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  3. Broknpotre

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    What the heck? Am I alone here? I can't believe I'm the only person that thinks these swords are awesome.

4. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Nasty swordes give them to us broken and rrrrruined. P.S. I hate all fantasy swords, except those from LOTR because those are just different designed versions of real swords.Striders Ranger sword is just a better looking two handed long sword, boromirs is a slightly enlarged braodsword, Hadhafang is nearly a chinese saber, the swords of rohan are very viking/celtish

5. nasnandos

nasnandos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have always loved these swords since I first saw Conan the Barbarian. They are one of the reasons I am in the sword business now. Ron Cobb's sword designs are fantastic. I have not purchased either of the Albion swords yet. I want to see one up close to see if they are worth the money.

6. Broknpotre

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm glad someone else thinks so. :D Especially someone with substantially more clout to his opinion than mine. Hehe. I have seen the Atlantean up close, and have no complaints whatsoever. It is a bit heavy, but it is balanced well. I guess if you're the size of Conan, you can handle a heavy sword with no problem.

7. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Nasnandos are you really kit rae, I meant absolutly NO offense about the LOTR swords you designed I absolutly love them all especially Haldirs. PLEASE MAKE IT!!!!!!:D :D

8. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Here's a good review on this sword.

http://www.myarmoury.com/review_alb_atlantean.html

Hope you got the $3000 for it though:)

9. Starknight

Starknight New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Personally I've always loved the Conan sword and have always wanted a replica of it. Unfortunately most of the affordable Barbarian swords don't really live up to the original. And yes I've been drooling over the albion version for some time (though if I were to buy an albion sword I'd rather have their Limited Edition Discerner / Excalibur.

10. javelin98

javelin98 does anyone read these?

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm fully with you on this one, Broknpotre. I have always loved the Atlantean sword and Conan's father's sword. They're beautiful in a rugged, meant-to-be-used kind of way, perfect for a people dominated by the Riddle of Steel.

The other two swords I'd like to see from the Conan movies are the curved blades of Subotai and Valeria. Just like Conan's sword is a massive thing meant for a warrior, the two swords I just mentioned strike me as being the tools of thieves, easy to slash quickly with in a hasty escape.

Now if only I had a spare $10,000 lying around, I could line my den with those Albion swords...

11. Yasmar

Yasmar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You may already be aware of it, but those two other swords are on the list of upcoming replicas at Albion. Here are the links:

http://filmswords.com/conan/anniversaryvaleria.htm

http://filmswords.com/conan/anniversarysubotai.htm

12. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It's beautiful (actually both swords are) but I think I am restating the obvious when I say it's a boat anchor! I've handled many functional swords in my time, some museum quality antiques, nothing that tries to be as heavy as this. A functional blade it isn't.

Note that in the movie, the steel sword was only used for closeups. Most of the time, even Arnold was flipping around an aluminum replica. So, it's in a way a scam: you see this guy doing freaking baton drills with the sword, then you pick up a 8-pound lump like this, and you're supposed to be impressed. The truth is that even the greatest bodybuilder of all time looked for a lighter weapon!

13. javelin98

javelin98 does anyone read these?

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Oh, I know all about weight... I humped an M-60 for several years in the Army, and I appreciate how miserable a few extra pounds can make something. But they look so cool! I wanna have one!

I'm jazzed to see Valeria and Subotai's swords coming out! Again, there is the money issue... guess I'll have to console myself with Hadhafang in the meantime.

14. BarbarianMonkey

BarbarianMonkey New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that I absolutely love the Conan swords too! So much that I started making my own swords last year. If you're interested in seeing my work check out www.barbarianblades.com

Later!

15. Doombringer

Doombringer The End of All Things

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Conan sword (Atlantean) is without a doubt one of the most famous movie swords. Only the LotR swords may ever reach this level of fame amongst collectors and movie-fans. Even at $3,000 this is nearly a perfect sword in terms of build quality and faithfulness to the original.

I'd buy it if I had the moolah ;)

16. Kinslayer

Kinslayer Warrior of Rohan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Where are they at!!!!!! if my first born is all they want then sign me up for a couple !

17. Doombringer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    http://filmswords.com/conan/conanframe.htm

I'm not sure if you can order from Albion themselves.

18. Broknpotre

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I don't know about that. The Highlander katanas are pretty darn popular. I haven't met many people who couldn't look at one of those fake-ivory dragon handles and say, "Oh yeah, the highlander sword." But you're still right in a sense. Anyone who likes the Conan movies even a little bit would recognize the sword.

19. Doombringer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Highlander. Hmm. Okay, I'll give you that. Then again, Highlander had much more exposure thanks to the TV show (whereas ol' Conan only had his two movies).

20. Connovar Oakenshield

Connovar Oakenshield Sun Hang Warrior

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Father's Sword is gorgeous. I like the Atlantean, but if I could have one I'd take the Father's Sword, I just love the look of it.