Comic Conventions

Discussion in 'Spam....' started by Kakashi, Sep 25, 2011.

1. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I was talking about magician stuff hah, although this is by no means the first time that people have thought I was talking about mtg. Although your description of mtg could certainly be applied directly to sleight of hand. Also trudging through the Book of Five Rings is a shame, but not unexpected. I've read a lot of the old 'classics of strategy' out there, they're all pretty dry but that's one of the easier ones to understand.

2. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Well it's not so much that it's a difficult read (in my opinion, it's really straightforward). It's just the fact that I loathe reading, and it's just so... Well, honestly, it's largely common sense. "Be good at something and you will be good at something. Reflect on this."

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  3. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    A lot of it IS common sense, which isn't surprising given a lot of eastern thought pointing to everyone having ultimate power within them, focusing on what's natural, so on and so forth. And while if I hadn't read Musashi I wouldn't know you were over-simplifying what's being said in that(okay those, he says "To know one thousand things know one thing well" a lot) I can understand the complaint. The big bonus to reading stuff like that is that you start to actually think about it when it's appropriate and will help you.

And then there's the school of thought that says that in order to get anything out of Musashi you have to read the book multiple times...

4. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    I'll read it cover-to-cover once. I expect that it'll finish strong on the Ring of Void and make the other four all worth it. But yes, I am probably so distraught over the book largely because I don't enjoy literature of virtually any sort. Hoping to maybe look over a few other classic war tactic books later on.

5. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    The void has the virtue of being pretty short and kind've tying things together. Hard to say if it'll make it all worth it, but like I said, your real payoff is recalling sections later and being able to take it under consideration then. The same applies to most books of that sort. The Art of War is a little longer, a little better, but it's still pretty dry.

6. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Art of War, The Prince, etc. I intend to eventually devour them all. But yeah, I am certainly not denying the wisdom within the pages, just making light of the fact that he does a good job of folding it into a lot of common sense. Though, like you said, that's a thing in the East.

7. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    What's fascinating about The Prince and The Art of War is the where they differ and where they agree. It's not surprising that there'd be overlap all things considered but where they differ goes pretty deep and both writers support their approach well. You'll get a lot out of both, of the three we've mentioned Sun Tzu is my personal favorite.

8. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Well Machiavelli had his... Thing. He catches a really bad rep in history for his most well-known "ends justify the means", but I have also heard The Prince was written tongue-in-cheek, though I am unsure of the validity of the latter interpretation.

9. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Depends who you ask, there's a lot of people who support the "it was kind've a joke' thing, there's others who swear up and down it was fully serious. There's some good stuff there regardless of your stance or feelings on how legitimate Machiavelli's approach was. If nothing else it's good to have insight into how that kind've person would think, parody or otherwise.

10. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Indeed a lot of good stuff in there. Having someone who will tell you the truth no matter what and not what you want to hear, for example. Other stuff, the more famous sort, is not so cushy and far less acceptable in the eyes of the democratic/republic-minded lot. Either way, it's a book I intend to chew on (more than likely just as slowly as I have the Five Rings but nonetheless)... After those though, I'm a little short on war-philosophy literature.

11. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    It kind've depends on what direction you want to go with it. There's a huge array of it out there, if you type "samurai philosophy" into amazon you'll get a lot of stuff, hell buying Machiavelli, Sun Tzu, and Musashi online will point you in the right direction in all probability.

12. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Isn't Machiavelli more about the art of rude people manipulation?

13. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Most of The Prince is about the most effective way to run country/state/city/whatever. Machiavelli has something of a reputation for ruthlessness and duplicity, but those were both common things during the Florentine era so that's not entirely surprising. Especially considering if he was going to get anywhere he had to appeal to the Medici who were pretty notorious jerks.

14. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I just don't understand why anybody thinks his writings are relevant or useful though, like any of that kind of stuff will fly in modern society.

15. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Almost all of it does pretty regularly. Maybe not to the extreme that some people imagine he meant it but if you look at a good number of politicians and business people there's some Machiavellianism at work. Granted, these days we know that different approaches tend to work significantly better, but a lot of people tend to go the Machiavellian route because it's easier.

16. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I guess but to anybody who is aware of it employing that kind of ideology might as well be like wearing a "kick me" sign.

17. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    People who employ it usually have some kind've factor working in their favor that effectively nullifies that, be it simply being a boss people are afraid of or having a position secured by some kind've expertise.