Come And Ask A Question

Discussion in 'Wheel of Time' started by Elan Morin Tedronai, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Okay, since noone seems to know the answer, ill ask something new :

In tDR [Ch 36, Daughter Of The Night] Rand is camping alone when an entourage led by a woman come upon him, they ask if its okay for them to share the lake for water, he says yes, then he proceeds to kill them all, including the woman. When they are dead he realizes a Gray Man was one of her company, and thus its indicated they are Darkfriends, however i read the passage and i can see no reason for Rand to attack, she doesn't pull a knife, all that happens is her guards "loosen their swords in their scabbards" or some such, but i just took it as sorta threating Rand into letting them share camp.

So why did he just murder them ?

2. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    For your original question, I would think it was a Bubble of Evil. I can't see the Aes Sedai knowing where he was in the fortress upon arrival.

For the last one, I have no idea either. Only have read TDR once, the main thing about Rand in that book was that he acted rather crazy(er). It's a good question though.

3. Nynaeve

Nynaeve <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    I thought that the way they were acting tipped him off. It seemed like they were acting suspicious, and he just went with his gut when they started to draw their swords. Wasn't he getting paranoid by then and acting kinda crazy?

4. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, he was kinda going insane eh, i just wondered if there was an actual reason is all. But i guess they were acting kinda suspicious, and that was the only time Rand ever killed a woman, its odd that its not really a big deal. Thanks for your help !

5. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Okay, another question, im full of em. You know how the Forsaken don't channel at Shayol Ghul, they all say its "too dangerous," is that because the Dark One would strike them down, or because theyd be instantly destroyed when they started channeling there ? If this is so, how will Rand re-seal the Dark One if he cannot channel near Shayol Ghul, the site of the Dark One's prison ?

6. Nynaeve

Nynaeve <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    I thought it sounded like it was one of the DO rules that they could not channel there, and if they did he would kill them. If that's true, I wonder why he has that rule. The only think I could think of is maybe to keep the Forsaken from turning on him and killing him when he's trapped? I do think that Rand has to be able to channel there to seal up the bore.

Great questions EMT!

7. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    My thoughts are along the same line. The Accepted and Novices are not supposed to channel without the permission of an Aes Sedai, I kinda thought it was the same type of control.

8. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking the power there would be too great and they would burn themselves out or die. Something like that strangeness Rand encountered when fighting the Seanchan. Could just be professional courtesy though. lol

I thought accepted were allowed to channel most weaves without permission from an Aes Sedai. Given the fact, they've fairly capable of handling the power, are allowed to teach novices, and obviously need to practice for the final testing.

9. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Yea, I think you're right about the Accepted thing.

10. GameMaster

GameMaster I's all about the Game!

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, Accepted can channel without supervision, and they can teach novices in classes.

As for channeling in the slopes of Shayol Ghul, it is possible. Shaiatan just does not allow it, or possibly he has set some kind of counterstroke against channeling in the vicinity which I doubt.

The reason I say one can channel is because Lews Therin and his 100 companions did channel there, so historically it was possible.

11. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Hey yeah. I never thought about that ! I guess he just has a really, really strong ward set or something, maybe witht he True Power so others can't feel it until their dead.

12. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Okay, a new question. In Winter's Heart, when Rand and Lan attempt to kill the two renegade Asha'man - Torval and Gedwyn - they find them dead by Fain's hand, Rand then starts fighting Fain whilst Lan kills Toram Riatin, then Fain backs off and he does something weird.

[WH, Blue Carp Street, Page 636]

With a smile he (Fain) raised his free hand.

Torval and Gedwyn came up the stairs with their cloaks over their arms.

"I say we aren't going near him until i know where the others are," Gedwyn growled, "The M'hael will kill us if..."

Without thought, Rand twisted his wrists in Cutting The Wind and immediatly followed with Unfolding The Fan.

The illusion of dead men come back to life vanished, and Fain leaped back with a shriek, blood streaming down the side of his face.

So what the hell just happened ? Fain made an illusion right ? But how ? Some power of Mordeth's ? Why haven't we seen it before ? And did Rand cut the illusionary Asha'man or Fain ? It was a confusing passage to say the least....

13. GameMaster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think there's more to Mordeth than we know. Remember how he created that mashadar-looking fog in the Riatin camp when it attacked Rand, Cadsuane and others. Plus I believe that the dagger is giving Fain/Mordeth some super power. The dagger is not just merely an infected object out of Shadar Logoth but something more. More to see I guess.

14. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I wonder what power it is that Mordeth uses. Though he is evil it appears that he is an evil apart from the DO, so I don't think it is the True Power.

15. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Mordeth could no way be using the True Power, its impossible. He is as evil apart from the Dark One. Mordeth was an advisor to the King of Aridhol (love that name) whom he corrupted into evil, thus destroying the city and Mashadar was born. And i remember reading someone that Mordeth was corrupted utterly by Mashadar and when he infested Fain become something extremely unique. Who knows what he can do ?

16. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    OK, here's a question. Who does the Gholam work for? He referrs to his master, but I don't know who it is.

17. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, i don't know, maybe Moridin ? He was sniffing around in Moridins apartments in PoD (possibly WH) and he ate that servant Moridin killed, but who knows ? If he was in a stasis box, someone would have had to release him right ?

But how could they keep him under control, he's as much threat to the Forsaken as anyone else.

18. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Good point, about being a threat to the forsaken. He is immune to the OP. I wonder if he is immune to the TP, hmm.

19. GameMaster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm, I think the gholam was first employe by Sammael. Sammael had a stasis box, and there is reference in the books that the gholam was kept in a stasis box since the Breaking.

Additionally, Sammael in Ebou Dar tells Jaichim Carridin that "I will send...someone...who can take care of these Aes Sedai." Just before we see the gholam in action, trying to murder Elayne and all the group when searching for the angreal/terangreal cache.

Also, if the gholam was controlled by someone else, then it would have guessed that it would have been commanded to be present at the cleansing of saidin since channeling was all that was involved there. But the forsaken are arrogant and someone could have wanted to keep the gholam secret.

There is also the possibility that the gholam is roaming free now, especially after Sammael's death or is still trying to finish Sammael's orders. Personally I don't think Sammael commanded the gholam to go after Mat, he just wasn't too interested in Mat, and I think that the gholam got pissed off at Mat when Mat hurt him with the medalion and is possibly doing things on its own now.

20. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Thats a damn good point GameMaster ! I don't remember that, but it definently makes it seem that Sammael is/was the gholam's master. Its probably just a renegade now, feeding whereever it can and trying to get some vengeance on Mat for beating the crap out of him.