Closest to LotR?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Radagast, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Just wondering out of curiousity, what fantasy book do you feel was as overall equally good, (or came closest) to Lord of the Rings?

2. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I used to love Ursula le Guin's Earthsea triology. Earthsea is not really that much alike to Middle-earth, but it can be just as enchanting nevertheless.

3. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The Fionavar Tapestry! Very good series.

4. waenlotien

waenlotien Healer/ Magicuser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The series of Mithgar by Dennis L McKiernan. IT is a 10 book series , with book 11 due out next spring. It is great!!! I totally fell in love with it, I didn't get much sleep because I did not want to put the books down LOL

5. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Magician and the Riftwar Saga! And the otherbooks written by Raymond E. Feist. But that might be my bias shining through. They're really good books, and I read them before Tolkien of any sort, so they were my first love in fantasy, if you don't include the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks...

6. Lenya

Lenya New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What about the 'Bitterbynde' series by 'Cecilia Dart- Thornton'? I bought them the other day, but have not read them yet!!^-^ The author uses alot of folklore and myths in her books and one reviewer said ' Not since Tolkien's The Fellowship of the ring have I been so impressed by a beautifully spun fantasy'. I can't wait to read them!!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2003
  7. Radagast

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Just a note, lots of reviewers compare a work to Tolkiens. I have read a couple books that haven't came close to LOTR, but the reviewer claimed they were as good, if not better. I think its more of a selling technique rather than a honest statement.

8. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you Ragadast. I just finished reading a series where the writer was compared to Tolkein. While the books were good, they in no way compared to LOTR. I think it's Barne's & Nobles new gimmick to sell more fantasy books.

9. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I definitely agree. Lots of books say that when it obviously isn't true. I think it's really cheap of them to do that. I'm all for private enterprises trying to succeed and all, but they could at least do it honestly.

10. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    There was actually a book in my Dymocks bookstore a year or so ago that I was going to buy, had I the money. It wasn't cheap, but it was a collection of essays written by prominent fantasy authors toady (including Raymond E. Feist! Yay! He got a special mention, and justifiably so! :D) saying where they had thier inspiration from, why they write fantasy, their thoughts on previous fantasy novels, authors and content...I made several visits to the store and over time read what Feist said, and he had some very interesting things to say about Tolkien. I can't remember the specifics, but he also mentioned that it's almost expected that fantasy books/authors are compared to Tolkien these days (himself included) and lots of other interesting things.

Did anyone ever read that? I don't remember too many specifics, unortunately... :(

11. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I think books often get compared to Tolkien's when they evoke in the reader similar emotions he/she felt when reading Tolkien. I've done that often enough - the book might not have all that much common with Tolkien's work, but, it somehow has the same air or atmosphere about it. It feels the same.

12. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    The only books that I have read (and I have read quite a few) that even come close to creating a "universe" as deep and rich as Tolkien would have to be Frank Herbert and the Dune series. Forget the movie or the Sci-Fi Channel miniseries, they only scratched the surface (as hard as they tried...A+ for effort....).

Last edited: Sep 27, 2003
  13. Radagast

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I didn't like the 80's version of Dune. As you said, it just scratched the surface. I though the Sci-fi Channel's Children of Dune was pretty good (thats what got me started into Dune), but I have yet to read Children of Dune, so I can't make an honest comparison. Was their ever a movie made for Dune Messiah (next Dune book I am to read)?

14. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    never heard of it. What is it about?

15. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Actually, the Sci-Fi Channel's Children of Dune series was a combination of both Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.

(I'm not sure if there was a stigma attached with "Messiah", but both books are the smallest two of the (IIRC) seven books.)

16. Legend

Legend Made in NZ

Land of the Long White Cloud/Aotearoa/New Zealand
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    My first fantasy book was Magician by Feist and the rest of the series. Excellent High adventure fantasy reading. Ive been reading Fantasy for nine years now and have over 200 fantasy books, but that series (15 books so far) will always be my favourite. But Tolkien will always be the father of fantasy.

17. pinkflyingwalruses

pinkflyingwalruses Beatnik

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I really can't think of any fantasy books that can compare with tolkiens genius.

18. Isis

Isis New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i really liked, as ive said elsewhere, The Sword of Truth series by Goodkind (when i was reading his books, i actually found a lot of similarities to Tolkein, but was surprised to read that Goodkind had never read the lord of the rings), also His Dark Materials Trillogy by Philip Pullman (its classified as "childrens" books, but i think the themes in them are quiet adult, dealing with god and death and love and making quite adult sacrifices).

19. Jagar

Jagar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As far as something along the lines of LOTR, I'd go with Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams. I found the story to be very entertaining, though LOTR is more fleshed out seeing as Tolkien went to such great lengths to create his Middle Earth. It is easy to see that Williams was definitely influenced by Tolkien in his writing as this story has many similarities to LOTR. The last book in the trilogy, To Green Angel Tower, is so large though that it is usually sold in 2 parts, each about 800 pages long.