Chromebooks

Discussion in 'General Computers' started by Firiath, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    I discovered Chromebooks today, which I had never (consciously) heard about until this afternoon, and I'm posting this to see if anyone here has made experiences with them, and, if so, to hear your opinions.

Although I've got a PC at home and one at the office I've always had an additional mobile device to browse the web and occasionally work with (work = read/write texts and prepare simple Powerpoint presentations). Until recently I used a 4-year-old Acer Aspire One netbook for those activities, which ran Windows XP first until I tried several Linux distributions (ubuntu, Lubuntu, who knows what else), but it got slower and slower until browsing the web was so annoyingly slow I decided to sell it.
    I had been thinking about getting a tablet until I actually tried browsing the web (and posting on TFF) with one, and I quickly realised I needed a device with a keyboard, so I made the decision to buy a new netbook as soon as I'd find one suitable for my needs.
    And then I discovered Chromebooks, which seem to be perfect for me. I frequently use Google 'products' such as Gmail or Google Drive, and I even wrote most parts of my MA thesis using the Google Docs web app. (Yes, Google knows my name, phone number, email address and knows where I live and what I look like, and no, I don't mind.) Like I said, I'd only need it to browse the web (TFF, social networks, microblogs), check my emails and do a little writing.
    I've read a couple of customer reviews on Amazon to see how people use them and what they are good for, and I'm planning to do a little more research before I'd decide to spend at least 240€ for a device like this, but I'd like to hear some opinions coming from people who don't just write reviews to blow off some steam about a device that doesn't work the way thay want it to, or to praise a product for whatever reasons. And if no one here has ever used one, and/or doesn't know anyone who owns one, well, that can also say a lot! :p

2. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +185 / 1 / -0
    Sales of Chromebooks are going very strongly, they appeal to people who want a cheap supplementary device exactly like what you described yourself wanting. The price is attractive, you get a familiar laptop-style form factor with a full keyboard. My wife bought herself a cheap P.O.S. 10 inch tablet for $140, I was strongly recommending a Chromebook but she bought the cheaper device to use the remaining money on other things.

I can't see myself ever buying a tablet as a supplementary device for home use, but I could see myself buying a Chromebook :)

3. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    I actually bought a Chromebook some time ago, the Acer Chromebook C720, and it's perfect for me. As you need wifi to use it (efficiently), I only use it at my place, whenever I feel like sitting in bed with a mobile device, or when I visit my parents, where I do exactly the same, so you could say it's my comfortable-browsing (and sometimes writing) machine.
    It boots up within seconds and has all the functions I need. Whenever I want to play games I use my PC, and whenever I'm playing games and I want to check something (like walkthroughs or guides) I flip it open and I'm online within seconds.
    I paid €249 for it, roughly as much as I had paid for my old Acer netbook that I had bought in 2010. I'd say it's absolutely worth the money. :)

4. Mad hatter

Mad hatter Much more... Muchier

Ratings:
    +227 / 4 / -0
    Whats the battery life on those things?

I don't think that I could contain myself JUST to the internet

5. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Up to 8 hours, of the model that I've got. When I'm at my parents' place and I use it in the evenings before I go to bed it usually lasts for one to two evenings (depending on how long I stay awake, of course) and then load the battery over night.
    I've heard that a new model came out recently, one with a battery life of up to 13 hours. :O

6. Mad hatter

Mad hatter Much more... Muchier

Ratings:
    +227 / 4 / -0
    Oh wow, I've never been comfortable using a laptop without power for more than an hour :p or even away from a desk (Mine have always gotten super hot, im not sure whether its just a string of iffy computers that I had owned)

7. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +185 / 1 / -0
    With SSDs and modern battery technology, certain devices can be used effectively for a full working day without charging.