Christianity

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Eàmanë, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Eàmanë

Eàmanë formally Nevaeh

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I would love to hear other views on this religion. I am a firm Christian, and I want to know what others think of Christianity.

2. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm also a Christian, Nevaeh.

We all did a good job of keeping threads like these flame-free in the past. Let's try to continue that.

3. Tilandrea

Tilandrea the scientist

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm a Christian too :)

*agrees about keeping it all flame-free*

4. Asgath

Asgath Heavy-metal dwarf

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    well my parents are christian, but I don beleive in religion myself, and I DO have reasons

5. matt7

matt7 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm a Christian too. Glad to see that there are more around. :)

6. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Chime me in, I'm a Christian too, just got back from Church. HOPEFULLY this doesn't turn into another debate, because I spent dozens of posts defending Christianity before. I always try my best to answer skeptics questions, but they never seem to answer mine...

7. Asgath

Asgath Heavy-metal dwarf

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well Christianity is strange really, it has caused almost the most bloodshed, BUT it is the only (I think) religeon which is about putting others ahead of yourself, and really it has more freedom than other religions. Nothing against other religions, but a strict religion about some (often) unproven acts, seems a little strange. But Christianity isnt strict at all!
    But it contradicts itself in my view, the Crusaders, but then again, that was people feuled by the religion, not the religion itself...

8. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, seems I the only non-christian to post so far. As I have said in earlier threads, I chose my beliefs (Wicca) because Christianity just did not "work" for me. I'v always thought that plants and animals and stuff were not inferior to humans, but just another part of this world. I do try to keep open to new and different ideas, however, and I feel it is essential that people educate themselves on religions not their own to better understand the points of view of members of that religion. Most of the world does not share my belief system, and if I want to be able to function in a multicultural world, than I had best learn about what others believe, even if you do not believe it yourself.

9. Asgath

Asgath Heavy-metal dwarf

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I also picked my Religion: NO RELIGION

10. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Oops, sorry, missed that!

11. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I was raised a Christan, but I am not sure if I truly believe in that religon.

doleniel: I think thats cool you follow Wicca. I have looked into it, and I am not sure if its what I am looking for, but it certainly is quite intriguing. I have looked at a couple Wicca websites, and I can say that I like some of its views.

12. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Well you see, although the Crusades is labeled a Christian effort, it really isn't. Sure, the Pope (in every Crusade there was a different one I believe) orderd them, but was it through Christian love or charity, or out of malevolent spite and hatred for people in the middle east? Remember, I think the crusades killed as many Jews as Muslims (kinda backwards on what their agenda was, releasing Jerusalem from Muslim control). Sure many knights of the Cruciform order were Christian, but waht about the illiterate peasentry which made up the bulk of these armies? That's the point I am making.

13. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I'm also a Christian. I was not raised a Christian. Truthfully, wasn't raised with any religion at all. But became a Christian in my teens. My choice. :D

The Crusades weren't about religion, they were about political power. Christianity in the middle ages was more of a government than a religious institution. Almost everyone was a 'Christian' whether they believed in it or not. Most of the people didn't even understand what their religion meant. The average person couldn't was illiterate and couldn't read the bible, even if it were available to them. In fact many of the priests were barely literate and were unable to read the texts available to them at the time, being written in Latin and Greek.

The Crusdades were formed by men looking for more prestige, power and land. Like most political leaders, the kings, popes and bishops of the Middle Ages weren't content with their current lands and importance in the world. The Crusdades were merely another war to increase their status in the Medieval world.

14. Azog

Azog New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Christianity is a really cool religion. It is so simple, and yet so deep in meaning. I am a Christian, and I was raised as one.

15. Morn Hyland

Morn Hyland New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    QUOTE]Originally posted by Justice
    Chime me in, I'm a Christian too, just got back from Church. HOPEFULLY this doesn't turn into another debate, because I spent dozens of posts defending Christianity before. I always try my best to answer skeptics questions, but they never seem to answer mine... [/QUOTE]

This topic has been placed in 'Debates'. If it has been wrongly placed here, then I suggest someone asks a mod to move it. Otherwise, let the debate flow and let the questions be asked.

Further, debates don't always have to answer questions, they use the energy of opposing ideas to deconstruct, reflect and reconstruct ideas and opinions. They shouldn't be about 'changing people'; for most people, they will be about confirmation. If not, well...people have been known to change their views...I doubt that will happen here... :D

P.S., Justice, if you are talking about the debate in Fan Spot, I can't really remember you asking lots of questions. Fire away.... ;)

16. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I have a life outside of Fanspot too! (folds arms).

But seriously, I have spoken to so many people on this subject. Forums are not the best place to do it, it needs to be with spoken words face to face. At my college I have spent hours, days even, debating people on topics like this. Often times many do not believe because they are porly informed, or just going along with what their friends think. I usually ask them questions like, "Why do you believe what you believe?" That one rarely gets answered, or if it does, with lots of thought and stuttering. Many Christians don't know why they believe either, and that is something that needs to be fixed. "Feeling" that something is right is not enough, you have to have logic and insight to back up what you believe.

And then there's the disagreement among Christians about what is right. So many people who fight on topics of religion do so because they know they are wrong. Rather than admitting it, they use Bible verses out of context to support their beliefs. If anyone give you a pamphlet that says (this is just an made up verse for an example)

"...the Lord kills all those who do not believe..."

the verse might have originally said

"Those that say that the Lord kills all those who do not believe are guilty of blasphemy, because the heathen doth reign on earth."

But this is starting to turn into a debate, which is what I do not want. The questions I asked on Fanspot were often of a scientific nature, but were always shot down because certain people (trying not to point fingers) said, "The information was gathered by a Christian, so therefore invalid as scientific proof." It didn't seem to matter if it was scientifically sound and proven, as long as it was a Christian saying it, it was wrong.

Once again, I hope there aren't any replies to this post because I do not want to debate any of this. Unfortunately this looks inevitable...

17. Arin

Arin I bite back....

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It's interesting. I was raised a Christian. But now...Im not sure. It's all kind of....old. However, Im not fool enough to get on with my life, leaving Christianity behind, thinking that I will never die (or that "well, Im only 16, i have lots of years left!) In the bible it says, "only a fool says "there is no God" " I suppose, if you don't belive the bible, you don't belive that, but even if I don't belive the bible, i think there's some real truth in that saying. You can't be so preoccupied with life, that you don't think about what will happen when it ends, thats not wise. I looked into some other religions, they all seemed so superficial, Wiccan, a lot of girls my age are into that, they all wanna be Godesses right? What about Mormonism, or the JW's? I looked into all of that....I can't find anything that seems right. I keep coming back to Christianity, but, It's like all that is worn out to me....Im still looking. I don't know what to belive.

18. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Believe whatever you want to believe...why must what one believes be dictated by any one religion? It's so confining.

It's not like you need to be in a certain "club" or "clique" to be cool ;)

19. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Going through a bit of a spirital upheaval here.

Iwould consider myself Christian, however I find myself exploring other options as well. At my spiritual best, I am in touch with *my* spirituality, with God, and with Mother Earth and the combination makes for a lovely belief system. At my spiritual lows in the past, I could best describe myself as agnostic. Those times were unfulfillingfor me.

20. Morn Hyland

Morn Hyland New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Justice....touche [can't get the French thing on the 'e']. LOL. Point taken.

Arin.... whether you are going to belive in a religion or not, you can only be admired for questioning it and thinking it all through. If you come out at the end of that process with either a firmer belief or a different one, at least you will have constructed those concepts rather than plucking them from the air just because a large number of other people follow something. It's whatever makes you content and gives you an explanation for being in the world. If that is religion and you are happy with it...great.

Generally, I have done the sleepless nights worrying about going to Hell bit (especially as a child and teenager) and what would happen to 'my soul' when I died.

As I moved from Christianity to agnosticism, the prospect of just 'not existing' in any way (as opposed to having a soul) used to give me real panic attacks. In fact, the thing which changed me was having kids. Now, I know that they will be there when I'm not. I am very ok with the non-existance thing now. My hope is that I can live long enough to get my kids established as adults in the world. I guess that's what any parent wants for their children.

As an atheist, one major thing to come to terms with is that there was a time when one did not exist and there will be a time when one will not exist again. The more you think about it, the more it becomes ok.

There is no real 'big' purpose to me in why we are on Earth: we just are. While we are here, all we can do is have a faith in and a commitment to Humanity. It's all there is for us; and we are not perfect. What better than a major improvement project in progress? LOL.