Choose your weapons...

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Anduril, Oct 24, 2003.

?

You are forced to fight. Choose your weapons...

1. Ranger sword with elven dagger

24 vote(s)
    20.2%
  2. Glamdring with staff

10 vote(s)
    8.4%
  3. Narsil/Anduril

13 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. A short-sword sized Sting

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. Boromir's sword and shield

19 vote(s)
    16.0%
  6. Legolas's daggers and bow

26 vote(s)
    21.8%
  7. Gimli's axes at your disposal

7 vote(s)
    5.9%
  8. Elven warrior sword/Hadhafang/Haldir's sword

18 vote(s)
    15.1%
  1. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I guess I can see what you mean. But if I chose because I liked Aragorn I would choose Anduril. But I just like the weight of the ranger sword.

2. Legend

Legend Made in NZ

Land of the Long White Cloud/Aotearoa/New Zealand
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I chose the ranger sword and elven knife, if you are good you dont need a shield, and if it comes to close quarters thats when the knife comes in handy

3. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I guess that vein of thinking would make the archers in the group happy....;)

4. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Ahhhh yes. Unless you can block the arrows with your sword. Physically, it is possible. But I would think at the speed arrows travel, it would be accidental. Some of you archers out there could probably correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I chose the Legolas set. While I'm no fan of the character, I'm a pretty fair shot with the bow, and have quick hands for the knife. I'd also be pretty good with a Boromir/Eomerish sword and shield set as well, I think.

6. Nathan

Nathan Wielder of the Flame

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If I had a choice on how far away I could be from my enemy, I'd choose a bow, but if it were close combat I'd choose a sword and shield. But in this particular instance I think I'll go with Glamdring and the staff. Probably awkward, but Gandalf survived being surrounded by orcs, and I had magic to go along with those weapons I'd kick ass. That'd totally work for me.

7. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    My re-enacting group plays an archery game called Combat Archery which is basically paintball with bows and rubber-tipped arrows. We limit our bows to max. 30lbs, and you can easily block a shot with a small arm shield if you see it coming. But if you were facing a 50lb+ bow, with steel tipped arrows?...well you might still be able to block it, but you'd want a pretty thick shield to hide behind! So blocking arrows with a sword would be A) very difficult, and B) you'd probably get your sword knocked out of your hand!

8. Haldir

Haldir Archer Extraordinaire

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey cool! Fellow archers!! :)

My bow is 38lbs but I'd say good luck to any one dodging the arrows. We video taped a few shots on a high quality digital camera and we found it nigh on impossible to actually find a frame that didn't have the arrow in a) the target or b) still on my bow. We eventually found one but only one.

An average quality recurve will shoot arrows at about 125/150 miles per hour. Dodging a compound would be impossible! 300 feet per second. That's some speed!!

A decent longbow should be able to pull off speeds in between there. Possibly higher than the compound if you were to go for a roman longbow (120lbs draw weight-though they all had curved spines after wards).

9. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    i picked legolas' bow and daggers, i'm pretty good with a bow, and the daggers would be good weapons.

10. Legend

Legend Made in NZ

Land of the Long White Cloud/Aotearoa/New Zealand
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Hmm forgot about arrows, but then again I didnt say anyhing about being able to block arrows with a sword. I only meant one on one type fighting. Nevermind. If you are forced to fight you are obviously close to the enemy.

11. NateDogg2

NateDogg2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would love to fight with Anduril, Ranger, Boromirs, but when it comes down to it, the Gandalf combo is unstopable. Not only is Glamdring sweet, but the staff makes all the difference. Remember in Fangorn Forrest when Gandalf blocks Legolas' arrow, Gimli's axe, and makes Aragorn drop his sword? A wizard would kick total ass, I think we will be seeing a lot of that in ROTK.:banana:

12. Fern

Fern New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Legolas kit is the best choice if you would have to fight. Distance work with the bow and for close up fighting the knives are much faster, and therefore better, than all these ( beautifull) but lumbering other swords. Before you have raised Glamdring for your first, albeit devastating, chop you would have several big holes in your body against someone with fighting knives.

13. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Sorry guys, but with my Moderators hat on, I had to delete the archery posts. As much as I love the bow talk, we're getting off topic. Please keep to the topic of "What weapon would you choose?"
    Sorry if I planted the seed of diversion, but was just trying to answer the "blocking arrows with swords" post from personal experience.

If someone wants to set up a separate thread to discuss archery, I'll be there!

Bows are great for long range, but up close you're dead meat unless you're a fast-nocking elf. And having fought as a re-enactor with and against both sword & shield, and 2 swords, I'm pretty confident that someone with a shield would block you, then chop you to pieces. I've seen many very good fighters using many different weapon combos. All these weapons are good in different ways, but sword and shield nearly always wins. And having faced people firing (admittedly blunted) arrows at me, you need a shield!

Yeah NateDogg, that's true, but I think you'd actually have to be a wizard in order for the kicking of ass to be quite as effective :D

Last edited: Oct 28, 2003
  14. Haldir

Haldir Archer Extraordinaire

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Couldn't you have split it off instead of deleting it? That's a lot of posts gone. :(

I wont be retyping.

*shifts to read-only mode only*

15. Fern

Fern New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agre with Haldir, deleting someones handywork (he may have been thinking over and researching about for god knows how long) is one sure way to kill a thread.

16. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2003
  17. Fern

Fern New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    O.K. Mububban, no problem, you made an admirable effort to straighten things out, my compliments!
    After all we are on this forum to enjoy ourselves and we should not, I think, take everything too seriously.

18. Dark Lord Sauron

Dark Lord Sauron Lord of Middle Earth

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Naturally, Sauron's mace wasn't included, even though it would probably be extremely effective in a close-quarters fight.

19. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    This poll must have attracted a lot of archery enthusiasts, because on 31/10/03, Legolas's bow and daggers and leading with 25% of the voting. Boromir's sword & shield and the Elven blades are tied on 18.75%, and the Ranger sword and Elven dagger are next on 16.67%.

20. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Forgive me for forgetting you again Sauron.