China's One Child Policy

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Crouton, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    What do you think of China's one child policy? Do you think it's good or bad? Do you know a lot about it or not at all?

I watched an undercover documentary on this the other night and now I'm fascinated. I've always known about the one child policy but things are so much worse than I thought.

Some things I learnt:

Over 70,000 children are kidnapped in China every year and sold on the black market. Due to the Chinese belief of men carrying the family name, everyone wants baby boys instead of girls. In the 30 years that the one child policy has been around there has been 40 million baby girls aborted because the parents want boys instead. Because of this there's now 40 million Chinese men growing up and finding it very difficult to find wives due to a shortage in women.

In China men can't get married until they are 22, and women can't until they are 20. It's also illegal to have a child unless you first have a 'birthing permit' which you can only get if you are married. Many young couples are getting pregnant accidentally before they are married, which means that without a permit these children have no birth certificate and do not legally exist. Most of them are being sold in the black market.

A lot of young boys are being kidnapped off the streets by traffickers offering sweets, as well as some parents selling their own children out of desperation. Young boys will always go for a higher price, and cute girls will go for a higher price than 'ugly' girls.

Anyway that's just a bit of information off the top of my head. I was so fascinated by this. This documentary blew my mind.

2. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +329 / 1 / -0
    so then the plan is a success? with a majority 1 sex, the population has fallen?

3. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Not really. It's still the largest population in the world, there's just too many men. People who are getting the baby girls aborted keep trying until they have a baby boy. So they are still having children, just not girls.

4. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    It's an extreme measure in a reaction to an extreme situation and yes the social structure of China has backfired in the population balance because of the family values and structure. It has a very dark side to it and it only works because of a strict enforcement of the policy via the strict social structure at a local level not just an official/government level.

It's something that you couldn't do in many other countries or with other cultures, but I do support it because I think that its a policy which took a look at the long term future and, although not perfect, it has aimed to and likely will help to lower the population of China whilst attempting to avoid a situation of mass starvation and likely combat as people fight over the remaining food and resources.

Interestingly the one child policy is almost something happening on its own in many western European countries; indeed countries like the UK are often seeing greater population gain from immigration and child births from those immigrated populations. So it appears that different social structures can approach the problem from a different angle; although the western problem is that its not an enforced change its a social one. As such it has the downside that its a fickle thing that could easily swing right back to other patterns without any warning.

In the end human population is something we have to pay attention to - the planet is already in a serious problem with regard to resources (not just access but distribution) and populations are still increasing at a global level. Indeed I wouldn't be surprised if India one day has to consider a one child policy or other restrictions because they are fast hot on the heels of being the next China.

5. Mad hatter

Mad hatter Old member, New account

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +233 / 4 / -0
    The whole world should enforce a one child policy. Over population is going to become a very serious problem.

[​IMG]

6. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    I personally would like two children, one boy and one girl. that is if I have kids at all

7. GrimWarlock

GrimWarlock Daemon Prince of Tzeentch

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    A "one child policy" is a solution of sorts but too far from perfect, for me to agree on. If one gender has far more numbers than the other in one generation - how many people do you think are left without children? These people die being the last carrying their genes. So, how many people exactly are going to be in the generation after that?

8. Mad hatter

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +233 / 4 / -0
    I dont think there is/will be a perfect solution. You'll have people saying its immoral, religous fanatics saying that there is no need for it and that god will find a solution, people wanting to cull the population. You cant win.

9. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    ^ And? How is this any different from a culling?

10. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    I disagree. The whole world should enforce who is allowed to have children, and limit the maximal number of children per couple to 3. Vote me for world president and I'll do it gladly! :D

No, seriously. I have so many negative experiences with only children, I don't think it's best to limit the number of children to 1. (Also, it might be immoral to control people's family planning, but that's something else...) I think it's very important to grow up with siblings, so one child per couple is something I don't agree with. However, I totally agree with your thoughts concerning overpopulation. In certain cultural circles women pop out babies as if they were a continuously running assembly line, disregarding whether they can afford having so many children, or how stressful this becomes for the whole family (for instance when the older siblings have to take up the role of a parent because they can't manage the number of children alone), and I think this is absolutely wrong.

The question is: What can you do? I'm convinced that this is one of numerous problems you could solve with education and, above all else, empathy. Think about what you do to your children, FFS. Anyway, I suppose we all know this is something you can't just teach people. v_v And humans will always be selfish ignorant pricks.

11. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Interestingly the shift toward women in the workplace - the increased freedoms and independence of women and the acceptance, education and use of contraceptives and other birth control measures does result in natural population reduction. Many western nations are actually seeing their own home populations slowly decreasing, with increase being from migration and other cultures.

A woman with a career in mind; and more importantly one with that encouraged and as an opportunity from a young age; is more likely to offset starting a family in favour of furthering their working life. So they might not have children till a later stage in life where upon physical changes to their person (getting older) means that they are likely to only have one or two children rather than a larger number.

At the very least numbers like that helps to stabilize a population and prevent further growth. Reduction in population only requires that you lower the birth rate to lower than the death rate in a given period thus resulting in a natural reduction in numbers.

China's policy is extreme, but it was also to counter the fact that they were in an extreme situation. Sadly its a situation that is growing in many many other countries.

12. Mad hatter

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +233 / 4 / -0
    Culling is cutting a current population.
    One child policy is stopping the current problem from getting worse

Who would decide this? Is this not heading towards the typical Aryan Race? "You have a high IQ, you can have a child" "You come from a wealthy family, you can have a child" "You already have 4, but they arent criminals, so you can have another" I don't think you can say that some can and some cant. Either all can or all cant. (In my eyes, I may be wrong in saying that)

When I was in London, I saw a vast difference in the numbers of children (ON AVERAGE) between the English and the Muslim (Could just be indian, or another culture all together. But without wanting to sound offensive, they weren't English). I saw them with 5,6,7,8 children. Granted I saw some that had none, and I appreciate that a lot could have been friends, babysitting, family etc. Im just making the observation.

13. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    This might sound (or be) wrong, but this is why I often think the wrong people are having too many children. It's often the religious and/or uneducated who have bazillions of children (as in Mad hatter's example), whereas those people who could probably take care of a child prefer not to, or to have few.
    Please note that I'm saying things like "often" and "probably" because I'm aware that what I'm saying is not always the case.

That's why I volunteered to do it. Of the 7 billion people on this planet I could totally decide which are best to raise children. :D No, seriously, that idea was a joke. Although I like this idea in theory I'm sure it could be considered as very unethical. :D

14. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    yet its also such a great opportunity. At least, it will be once the space program gets kicked in gear. There are so many avenues that need to be explored yet and so many resources untapped that a higher population will provide impetus to investigate. Sadly, that seems to be the way things work, things don't get done until people get hurt in large enough numbers to get the attention of those in power.

I support the one child policy in China, a shrinking population invites economic and military weakness. We just have a long way to catch up.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    Mad Hatter in theory I do frankly agree with you. But seeing these side effects it gives i'd rather not support it.

16. Mad hatter

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +233 / 4 / -0
    This is a completely unmanned discussion. For my part, I don't think differently of anyone on here whether they agree with me or not. And can assume with 99% confidence that in my lifetime there will not be a 1child limit worldwide. If the uk wanted to slow down their population problems, they could just do what America and Australia have done and introduce harder customs to adhere to. I'm rambling a bit here because I can't concentrate, but I hope that you can at least decipher a tiny bit of my meaning.

17. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    ^ I see what you mean.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Education has been proven to reduce birth rates all over the world. It delays the age of your first child, and reduces the total number of kids a women will have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    I would say its not just education, but the social capacity to be more than a housewife. Once a women has more encouragement and also capacity within society to contribute outside of the managing of the home and the raising of children then that too has an effect on the number of children they have and upon when they tend to have them.

A rise in their independence from men is also important so that the woman can make her own choice on these matters rather than always be led by her other half or by the dominant man in the family.

Alongside that you've also typically got rising medical improvements and also living standards; so one of the major reasons of having multiple children (so that some reach adulthood) is also removed from the society (indeed the rise of medical and living standards without corresponding lowering of birth rates is one of the major causes of growth spikes in population).

Western populations have shown that unforced population decrease can happen - the problem is its not uniform and it takes generations for change to take place. This is without interest groups preventing change - this is by far and away an area where religion is a major holdback; even Christianity is a major problem here with their contraceptive ban. Whilst others hold greater sway over the restrictions of women in society.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    Do you think Panda's know they are Chinese and take the one child policy too seriously? That's why they don't mate?

*drum beat* dum dum tish.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1