China in Middle Earth

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Earth001, Sep 4, 2011.

1. WildPony

WildPony New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Are you thinking of writing a fanfic Earth?
    It all depends where the Chinese were set down. For instance, if they landed in the Shire they would prospor and have ready available servants in the hobits. Whereas, if they were to alight in the barren East, they would take longer to find a way to move on the free people in order to secure valuable resources. If they were in the East, Sauron would either obliterate them seeing them as a threat or ally with them, I tend to lean towards the latter. For, Sauron would take any advantage he could to quash the freedom of those opposing him and if the Chinese had the same idea, then he would find very valuable allies.

2. Earth001

Earth001 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I haven't thought about turining this into a fanfic but it does sound pretty interesting and I am not the best writer far from it but I may think of suggesting it to someone else and they could problably write it instead. Though it may be interesting.

3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    If you wanted to really take Middle Earth and put the Chinese into it you'd have to do a fair bit of research in a few key areas:

1) Ancient China both historically and mythologically during the same time period as the Norse history and mythology (which is what Middle Earth is most strongly based upon).

2) China during World War 2 - a slightly lesser link, but in the original texts one can clearly see that the influence of WWII and WWI was built into Middle Earth in the LotR tales - maybe by intent or simply because of how dominating those events were at the time to the author and society in general.

That would be the two key areas to really brush up on knowing before anyone could really do a credible attempt to impose China or even just the hint of China into Middle Earth.

Careful hobbits are not that easily taken over ;)

Search tags for this page

china middle earth

did the ancient chinese people think they lived in the middle earth