children books -with what do we start?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Tamago, May 15, 2018.

1. Tamago

Tamago Lord-Commander of Anakin's Kingsguard

Ratings:
    +797 / 4 / -0
    Since some of us are parents, I thought that we might exchange ideas on books appropriate for different ages.

My daughter is only 1year old, so we've plenty of time before starting the real 'reading', I guess. But she's a big fan of books (with a lot of images). She has a lot of Usborne books that she adores (especially one in shape of a tractor with a panda who drives the tractor; we're Romanian, but I read to her in English as well, she doesn't wave at people /goodbye or whatever/ but she waves when I tell her to wave at panda. She likes pandas and tractors lol).

Anyhow, my point is, what books do you read to your kids? At what age?

There are certain books I want to read to her later in life, but she's a bit too small for them right now and she doesn't care to listen. There are two 'longer'/'story' books that I actually manage to read to her, that is a Usborne book called The Dinosaur Who Lost his Roar (omfg I so recommend this one, it's hilarious! :eek:it's recommended to children 4+ but she likes it) and a very short version of the story The Black Beauty. She likes horses too, so she listens to the story and kisses the horse. (she loves animals in general). Two of her other favourites in terms of really story-telling are Max The Brave and Goodnight Max by Ed Vere (we have them in Romanian actually) -a silly black cat who's adventurous and cute, she loves him.

Otherwise, we have a lot of Usborne books with That's not my (she likes the cow, robot, dinosaur, and dragon best). Peep-inside books with stories that she also likes. Oh and a flip-flap book about baby animals. She adores that one. :eek:

Anyway, just tell us anything you see fit about children books and appropriate age for reading x book.:D Bragging about your kiddo is totally allowed, aye! :eek:

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +335 / 3 / -2
    Dr. Seuss stories are perfect for little ones. You might try Rikki-Tikki-Tavi by Rudyard Kipling. That way she'll develop a natural fear of snakes.:)

3. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Loitering from 2009 - 2018

Ratings:
    +642 / 8 / -5
    I came here to write Dr Seuss also.

For bonding through reading there's no better choice,
    than listening to rhymes that flow from your voice,
    From the Cat in the Hat, to the Fish, Blue and Red,
    The babes will sleep sound, all night in their bed.

If they need you to read for them, that's all okay,
    Stories with parents, what an end to the day,
    'Cause you're never too old for the good Doctors rhymes,
    There's no better way for the perfect bedtimes.

4. Tamago

Tamago Lord-Commander of Anakin's Kingsguard

Ratings:
    +797 / 4 / -0
    Thanks! I've never read Dr. Seuss myself. I'll check it out and see what I can get for my kid.

5. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Loitering from 2009 - 2018

Ratings:
    +642 / 8 / -5
    Oh goodness you're missing out! Go and read all of his works to your goat! There's all kinds of wonderful wackiness.