Chicken or Egg

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hiram Webb, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Hiram Webb

Hiram Webb New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I write from beginning to end. Allow me to elaborate. When I get an idea for a book it's always an idea for the beginning of a book. I never know where the book is going to go until I actually sit down and begin to write. Then, chapter by chapter and conversation by conversation I gradually discover, as it were, and flesh out until (hopefully) I manage to find some sort of a conclusion. As you might imagine this leads to a rather poorly-written manuscript chock full of inconsistencies, events foreshadowed which never actually take place, other events thrown in at the last moment which seem to come out of the blue, and overall a rambling mess. That's why I then set out to write my story - again. Sometimes I'll rewrite it a third time (or at least heavily revise it) by the time I've arrived with a product that I'm happy with. It's a buggar of a process and a downright time-consuming nucense, but it's the only way I've ever been able to work. I was one of those kids who sits down to write an essay and then, because I was supposed to submit an outline and a rough draft first, end up making a second copy and filling it with grammatical errors, and then basing an outline off of it.

More recently, as I'm into a final round of revisions for my latest project (and believe me, it's going to be more revision than project by the time I'm done with it), I'm trying to keep my storyline together by using an outline (gasp) but it's like pulling fingernails. I guess mostly my issue is that my imagination doesn't seem to turn on when I'm working in point form, and it's only when I get into the gritty details that the story seems to flow.

I was trying to explain all this to my wife, and was receiving the usual deer-in-the-headlights look as she politely nodded and encouraged me on, when it hit me that perhaps this was a perfect rant for the Scribe's House. So, now that I've explained in rambling detail the extent of my writing technique, I'm curious - how do you develop a story?

2. kwlanford

kwlanford Active Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -2
    LOL the same way you do. Except as SJ and Greybeard can attest I don't rewrite much. Once you start tearing it down and adding here changing there outlining it's no longer fun for me. In my defense I never started writing to be a writer. I wrote a book because I was tired of waiting for book two of this series and book twelve of that one. My whole motivation was to have a book with my name on it on my book shelf beside RA Salvatore and Terry Goodkind and I do! I know with a lot of work my book could be awesome. But I'm lazy Lol

3. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I keep a rough/basic outline in my head, possibly a few notes on paper (usually ideas jotted down in a hurry when they occur to me). I start with a beginning and a general direction and then jump into my character's shoes and watch it go from there. Sometimes I'm really surprised where we end up. :p