Chariot?

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Lord_Croanan, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Lord_Croanan

Lord_Croanan King and Conquerer

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I was watching the egyptains on the history channel, and a thought struch me, what ever happened to the chariot? I've read how in ancient times it was often the factor that would win the battle, mobile archer platforms and all. But when u get into medevil stuff, u never hear about it, did it become obselite?

2. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Gunpowder changed everything.

3. Lord_Croanan

Lord_Croanan King and Conquerer

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, i can see that, but didn't gunpowder only come about in the 1500's? what about the period between 1000's and 1400's?

P.S, sorry bout the banner, u live and learn

4. Patrick Kelly

Patrick Kelly New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The chariot fell out of use before the rise of the Roman Empire, long before the advent of gunpowder. During his first invasion of Britain Julius Ceasar commented on the use of the chariot by the native Celts and how peculiar it was. By that time the chariot was long obsolete in most other areas. This is due to evolving tactics and warfare. In the Celtic context the chariot was really used more for intimidation as well as the ability for the warrior to show is individual prowess by running back and forth on the chariots yoke. It really had nothing to do with it's effectiveness as a weapons platform.

5. elrond243

elrond243 The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    chariots charging into a roman phalanx with long spears is a little less then perfect combat wise. it makes sense that the chariot would become obsolete in combat.

6. Thorin

Thorin Avatar of Darkness

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    In many cases, the chariot wasn't actually used in combat, but it was a item for wealth and status. Those with chariots could afford to buy the chariot and the horses required. That also meant they had to have a stable and food enough to feed them.

For the Romans, I believe it was only used for Gladitorial combat and chariot racing.

I'll have to do some more research for the Romans and everyone after that, even before them.

7. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    yes you are right they were not very often used in combat. they were used in chariot races and other contests and enterainments