Character Discussion: Stannis and Melisandre

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Liadan, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Appaliq, in her infinite wisdom, has suggested starting a character discussion thread for Stannis and Melisandre. As we all know, Stannis is the "just but harsh" king, and Melisandre is the sinister priestess hovering at his elbow. However, in light of recent developments (the new Jon chapter), I think that Melisandre's "creepiness level" just went WAY up there with her quote:

"Do not be so certain." The ruby at Melisandre's throat gleamed redly. "It is not the foes who curse you to your face that you must fear, but those who smile when you are looking and sharpen their knives when you turn your back. You would do well to keep your wolf close beside you. Ice, I see, and daggers in the dark. Blood frozen red and hard, and naked steel. It was very cold."
    "It is always cold on the Wall."
    "You think so?"
    "I know so, my lady."
    "Then you know nothing, Jon Snow," she whispered.

I also found this quote to be interesting:

"Never... though we priests are mortal and sometimes err, mistaking this must come from this may come."

Interesting that she admits to that, isn't it?

2. Kaelmarr

Kaelmarr Back | Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Right, that definitely is very interesting. Could she have seen Yrgitte in her fires, and was hoping to surprise Jon? Or was there a different reason behind it...?

3. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    That IS possible, but I mean, really - why would Mel bother to keep track of Jon? Unless, of course, she believes that Jon, not Stannis, is the Lightbringer.

4. Kaelmarr

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Another reason she may be keeping track of him - If she had seen him in her fires in the first place, maybe she wanted to learn why he was so important, and therefore began keeping track of him.

5. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    The question is, however - when exactly had she seen him in the fires, and in what context?

"R'hllor sends us what visions he will, but I shall seek for this man Tormund in the flames." Melisandre's red lips curled into a smile. "I have seen you in my fires, Jon Snow."
    "Is that a threat, my lady? Do you mean to burn me too?"
    "You mistake my meaning." She laughed. "I fear that I make you uneasy, Lord Snow."

She says, "You mistake my meaning," presumably in answer to the question, "Do you mean to burn me too?" But that doesn't really answer the question of whether she's threatening him or not.

6. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    If she had seen him, giving the so called magic sword to Stannis was just a cover-up to convince him to go to the north with all his men. I think Stannis is the King that will burn, and after that Melissandre joins Jon.

7. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Hrm... that's certainly a possibility, but.... hmmm...

Must reread my Davos chapters.

8. Kaelmarr

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    What an interesting speculation, I've never thought of that. It is quite possible.

9. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Interesting specs! I'll have to post some crackpot theories later.

10. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Here's a theory: I don't think Jon is Lightbringer. I think Dany is probably the true Lightbringer. So - what if she was having visions of Dany, and saw Jon in turn? For Dany to become Lightbringer she must prove herself against the Others on the Wall. Of course Jon will be there - he's Lord Commander. But maybe Melisandre saw a more intimate relationship between the two and that's why she took an interest in Jon.

It still doesn't explain anything about Ygritte, but I'm all about Jon & Dany hooking up - so I like it!

Search tags for this page

melisandre and stannis relationship

relationship of stannis and melisandre